comparing Icenetwork and universal sports | Golden Skate

comparing Icenetwork and universal sports

I have them both playing at the same time when possible.

I prefer that TV screen to the computer screen, but what I like about IN is that there are no commericials and for me seing even a few slow motion tricks is better than none.

Slomo should be shown on all tricks of elite skaters while they sit in the K&C awaiting their scores. We could understand wrong edge takeoffs and under rotations much clearer.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OTOH, sometimes getting the KnC chitchat between the skaters and the coaches is interesting too. (IN has more of it than US)

emma

Record Breaker
For me, it would be perfect to have both. I love IN for showing all the competitors and no commentary during the skate. But, I also miss commentary the and discussion of each skater, and miss the big screen and clearer picture of tv. So, I wish I had both where I could go back and forth.

Wicked

Final Flight
I love the no commentary on Icenetwork so much. It bugs me to watch skating with commentary now. As for the big screen problem, I got a huge computer monitor and really good speakers for the express purpose of watching skating. Totally worth the money!

emma

Record Breaker
yeah...i have poor speakers and a laptop....so, I really do need an upgrade for skating viewing.

(off topic of this thread and I apologize - but Doris, I love all of our previews and commentary for Dance comps!!).

Thinking out loud: We have been comparing IN and UNI. However, Ladies Final will be on NBC. Past comps on NBC have not been complete. Usually they have shown all the Americans plus l or 2 of the most challenging. During the Olys, they did not show the bronze medalist Laura Lepisto.

Anyone know how we can see the whole kit and kaboodle LIVE? Otherwise IN and UNI will have it eventually.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I don't know anything about Universal Sports because my satellite dish does not get it, but I'm totally fine with my IN. :)

I looooooooooooove the fact that there is NO commentary whatsoever, rather it's like being there L-I-V-E, one of the audience members, just watching it all.

And I'm one of the fortunate ones that hasn't had any real problems with IN as far as sound, audio, vision, et al go. I have a huge flatscreen that's almost as big as my t.v., and have had no problems whatsoever with my speakers. :)

So for the GPs I can't attend in person, it's the next best thing, like I'm actually there. :cool:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thinking out loud: We have been comparing IN and UNI. However, Ladies Final will be on NBC. Past comps on NBC have not been complete. Usually they have shown all the Americans plus l or 2 of the most challenging. During the Olys, they did not show the bronze medalist Laura Lepisto.

Maybe because she wasn't the bronze medalist at the Olys? Joannie won that honor in Canada.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe because she wasn't the bronze medalist at the Olys? Joannie won that honor in Canada.

I think Joe was making the point that the coverage was very limited. We did not see the European Gold or Silver medalist LP's at the Olympics. I still have never seen Laura's Olympic LP........:disapp:

I did see alot of snowboarding/halfpipe which NBC has decided is a better ratings grabber than Ladies figure skating - once the staple of Olympic broadcasts in the 6.0 era.

Those days are gone :scowl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Didn't help that we didn't have a ladies' contender. This is probably the first Olys where the ladies' FS event was NOT the headline event here in the States. Instead, the attention was on skiing (Vonn), speedskating (Ohno), and then later, the men's gold medal hockey game.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Didn't help that we didn't have a ladies' contender. This is probably the first Olys where the ladies' FS event was NOT the headline event here in the States. Instead, the attention was on skiing (Vonn), speedskating (Ohno), and then later, the men's gold medal hockey game.

don't forget Shaun White, the Flying Tomato.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I think Joe was making the point that the coverage was very limited. We did not see the European Gold or Silver medalist LP's at the Olympics. I still have never seen Laura's Olympic LP........:disapp:

I did see alot of snowboarding/halfpipe which NBC has decided is a better ratings grabber than Ladies figure skating - once the staple of Olympic broadcasts in the 6.0 era.

Those days are gone :scowl:

They showed all the pairs both nights of the Olympics, but none during the exhibition including S/Z, I'm not sure why they pick and choose to show some and not others.

gold12345

Medalist
They showed all the pairs both nights of the Olympics, but none during the exhibition including S/Z, I'm not sure why they pick and choose to show some and not others.

Yeah, NBC seemed to show many more pairs than ladies, although one would think the ladies would be the priority. I think the amount of skating coverage we received each day was dependent on how the US was doing in the other sports... If the US was picking up medals elsewhere on any particular day, it meant less time to show skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah, NBC seemed to show many more pairs than ladies, although one would think the ladies would be the priority. I think the amount of skating coverage we received each day was dependent on how the US was doing in the other sports... If the US was picking up medals elsewhere on any particular day, it meant less time to show skating.

which makes sense. we as skating fans whine because our sport isn't shown - but the tv media needs to look at their ratings, not what one small niche group wants. The American viewer - not teh sport specific viewer - wants to see team USA.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
How much is Universal Sports' online live feeds? When I log on, it says "there are no products in this category" in the figure skating premium coverage section so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm determined to watch Eric Bompard live!

Thanks a lot in advance.

And I'm one of the fortunate ones that hasn't had any real problems with IN as far as sound, audio, vision, et al go. I have a huge flatscreen that's almost as big as my t.v., and have had no problems whatsoever with my speakers. :)

So for the GPs I can't attend in person, it's the next best thing, like I'm actually there. :cool:
LIVE skating at the Arena is not the same as what you see at home. At home, you see the images that the above little floating camera which follows the skater during his/her routine. Even the judges do not have that. However, one does see the occasional picture on the Jumbothon if one cares to take his view off the ice.

Another however, you are correct it's the next best thing to being there.

auser

Record Breaker
How much is Universal Sports' online live feeds? When I log on, it says "there are no products in this category" in the figure skating premium coverage section so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm determined to watch Eric Bompard live!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Universal Sports subscription fee for Grand Prix series $14.95 US dollars. It might be geoblocked - subscription only offered within USA.