We Got A Dog! | Golden Skate

We Got A Dog!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
We got our first ever dog yesterday--an adorable pug, 17 months old. We've named her MADELYN. (Her previous name was Pug Pug, which I did not like--already she responds when we call her by her new name!) She's tan with a black face. We had been talking about getting a dog, because my 9 year old has been talking about nothing else for MONTHS! Plus, she has proved responsible with other people's dogs--washing them, playing with them, even cleaning up after them. Then yesterday morning we got a call from a friend who had a friend who had a friend (!!) whose elderly dad was moving in with her but she did not want the dog. (She has 3 pets already and didn't want to take on such a young dog.) She was going to take her to the pound! She is a purebread--and the cutest little thing I've ever seen! One of my friends, who has trained dogs, came over last night to help us get her settled and give us advice. So far so good! I bought a crate with bedding and she took to it right away. She is personality PLUS! So vivacious and friendly! We've got some logistics to work out for when she's home alone, but I've got a big yard for nice days and a gate to keep her in my dining room/family room area for rainy days. It's no problem for me to pop in during the hours my daughter is in school because I work in the area and set my own schedule.

I resisted the idea of getting a dog for so long, but she is really a wonderful addition to our family! I still can't believe it.
:love:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Congratulations! My brother had a a pug when his girls were younger and she was so good with them. She always wore a pink bandana around her neck because my nieces said "That's the only way for everyone to know that she is a girl:) ".(they were VERY young);) .

Piel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
She sounds like a cutie pie. My dog is going on 14 and is going a bit deaf, but we're nuts about her.........would love to see a picture too.......42

GoldenLady

On the Ice
CONGRATULATIONS, RealtorGal!!! She sounds like a real doll. Pugs are awesome dogs, and I predict that it won't be long at all until you can't imagine ever having *not* had her. :) I love the name, too! Sounds like everything's going really well already; I would love to hear updates and also to see pictures, once you figure out/decide what site to upload them to. Have fun!

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
Well good for you R/gal. I love animals! I wished I had a huge ranch in the middle of no-where, with horses, cows, chickens, rabbits and goats but especially I would breed minature rabbits. Those are so cute! And don't forget all the pretty cow doggies and kittens....

Best of luck with your new family addition. I hope this brings (I know it will) added joy to your life. Animals love us unconditionally.:D

eliza88

On the Ice
How exciting RGal!! Pugs are really neat dogs! Have you seen the movie, "Milo and Otis"--it's about a pug and a cat, narrarated by Dudley more. It's wonderful (your daughter should like it!)

We took the plunge this summer and got a Basset Hound--I have had cats exclusively for 20 years. The basset is a wonderful addition to our family and brings us much joy (even if her nose gets her in constant trouble!)

There is nothing like coming home to a dog--in fact I can simply go out to the car and back and be greeted with undying affection!

eliza88

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
RealtorGal
We are so happy for you. I had a pug. His name was Puddy. The are so smart, loyal, loveable and everything you could want in a pat that's not a cat. Did you know that the bread is called pug because the Chineese could not pronounce the English word for pig. Who is the she sleeping with? Does she snore yet?
Daniel and Little Lulu
PS
Remind us to tell you where the word of Kangaroo came from sometime.
D & LL

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Yes, Daniel, she snores gently, and she sleeps on my daughter's bed. That crate thing didn't work out. Yesterday, we took her down to Seaport Village, a touristy area with shops and restaurants by the water. It's one of our favorite hangouts. We walked along the water, played frisbee, then had lunch while listening to the day's band play music under the gazebo. Our first trip with her. I felt like I was looking at life from the other side of the fishbowl! I used to be the one stopping to look at the cute dogs! So many people stopped to talk to us or pat Madelyn, who was very content. A young couple stopped us and pulled their 9 week old pug out of a shoulder bag he was in. The dogs were sniffing each other and a crowd gathered to watch. It was a very interesting and different experience! If I were single and looking to meet other singles, having a dog would be the way to go! It's like a magnet!

:love:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
We formerly had dogs. Now all I want is one I have to dust. :laugh:
The family talked me into taking our female poodle (miniature black) on camping vacation with us to Colorado. The people in the next campsite kept teasing her to make her bark. She was high spirited anyway. All the way there & back she wanted on my lap in front of the airconditioner vent. Kept scratching my bare legs. Discovered she didn't like loud singing so when I got fed up I started singing God Bless America as loud as I could and she would get in the back with the kids. Just before we left for home, she came in heat and we had to get motels on the way home. No way would I ever take an animal on a trip again. :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
RG,

Pugs aren't the only snorers out there in petdom. My cat snores. So loud I can hear her from the other end of the apartment. Wonder why my ex-nightmare-neighbor didn't call the cops to complain about that!

One day I got to wondering where she was (usually she comes running to meow at me when I go into the kitchen. Afterall, I might be getting food and it might be yummy and you wouldn't want her to miss anything, would you?). A couple of hours went by and I still hadn't seen her. Since she's very old, I suddenly decided I needed to find her. So I turned off the tv. The snores led me to the closet she usually can't squeeze into! Safe and sound and snoring!

Twinnie! You lucky dog! You'll love having a dog, I just know it. When I was 12 we got a dog that was part basenji, part pug, and part some kind of terrier. This was the most loving and lovable dog I have ever seen. Everybody who came to our house fell in love with this dog, even people who didn't like dogs. So let's just say that the "pug" part had a lot to do with it:) And your daughter will have such wonderful times with Madelyn. Especially when your daughter goes through prepuberty and puberty, there will be times when the only person she may feel understands her is the dog. Great move, Twinnie. I'm so happy for you and your family! If you hit it off with Madelyn, there is a kind of love that is unlike any other. Way to go and congratulations!
Twinnie/2