Short Program Masterpieces | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Short Program Masterpieces

Janetfan, I love what you said about the expression coming from the movement and body lines, not just the face. That's what makes a truly great skater in my mind. We're lucky to have some who are active now, and we're equally lucky to have some from the past whose work endures and has not diminished in power.

miki88

Medalist
This is a really good thread for looking back at great programs of the past. Should we do one for the men as well?

This is a really good thread for looking back at great programs of the past. Should we do one for the men as well?

I vote yes for a men's thread!

By the way, Herios, enjoying a performance from the past isn't necessarily just looking longingly at the past. Thanks to YouTube and other technology, this is the first time skaters' performances can be immortalized and shared with fans in the way that dancers' and singers' performances can. The artistic aspect, and even the athletic aspect, of a skater's achievement isn't just something for the moment. There are a lot of pretty good skaters out there whose work can come and go without much ado, but a stellar performance deserves to remain in the light of day for all time. This may not be what you enjoy about skating. But it's obviously an important part of skating for many of us. We enjoy watching, and we enjoy talking about it. There's nothing wrong with that, and it has little or nothing to do with the state of skating today. After all, Mao and YuNa, for example, are amazing, and they're still active skaters. I look forward to watching their new performances. That doesn't diminish my enjoyment of Michelle Kwan's skating any more than the ongoing career of singer Dawn Upshaw makes me less interested in watching the early singing of Beverly Sills.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I was just going to post this performance! You beat me to it. ;)

I'll post some of my other favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zKfZVurJY

I know I may have nominated Oksana Baiul as a 'most overrated ladies skater,' but I admit, her Black Swan pas de deuxSP here is one of my all-time favourites--has there ever been a more perfect fusion of ballet and skating before, and ever since?

Most of my favourites have already been posted (i.e. everything Michelle Kwan has ever done), but here's a few more:

Chen Lu, 1998 Olympics
Sandra Bezic + Lu Chen = pure gold

Sasha Cohen, 2004 Worlds
Malaguena is done to death, but Sasha grabs me by the neck and screams "NEVER LIKE THIS."

Carolina Kostner, 2007 Worlds
Carolina Kostner at her finest is a Carolina Kostner who deserves those giant PCS.

lavender

Record Breaker
Not Michelle's best year but Dream of Desdemona was a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8A908r0ihU

Off topic...Look to at how close her and Frank were. That was a different special kind of relationship he had with her and as I understand he was close with Linda like that.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I have no interest in watching and worshipping old stuff mid season. Yeah they were good, who cares? What I care about is how bad the athletes compete and not able to come up with good performances, when they should. This year is their best opportunity to make a statement and are falling short.

Then why bother coming into this thread if you obviously don't care?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, Sasha Cohen's SP at 2004 Worlds. Her moves totally matched the pace of the music! You could see the fire in her eyes and the passion in her skate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOut6w3raOE

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight