Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Predictions - yes, I like to start early

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    You really think Akiko's gonna be that low? At COC and most notably Finlandia (where she lacked a combo and popped a few jumps also), her scores were comparable to a clean Ksenia.
    I think Akiko will suffer from her inability to do a clean SP. Also her PCS seem variable, they were pretty high at CoC, but could also drop easily to what they were last season. Ksenia and Agnes are usually very consistent with jumps so that's why I put them ahead, they are also known to skate clean SPs. Being in Russia should also help Ksenia and Alena for that matter. Ashley I just sort of threw in there, idk what she will do, but the scores Akiko has put up so far this season are nothing Ashley can't match/top. I wouldn't be surprised if the scores were very close among the top 6 just considering how most of the skaters are strong and pretty comparable.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I think Akiko will suffer from her inability to do a clean SP. Also her PCS seem variable, they were pretty high at CoC, but could also drop easily to what they were last season. Ksenia and Agnes are usually very consistent with jumps so that's why I put them ahead, they are also known to skate clean SPs. Being in Russia should also help Ksenia and Alena for that matter. Ashley I just sort of threw in there, idk what she will do, but the scores Akiko has put up so far this season are nothing Ashley can't match/top. I wouldn't be surprised if the scores were very close among the top 6 just considering how most of the skaters are strong and pretty comparable.
    All the scores in the GP series this year have been low though so I'm not sure we can really say one way or another what Akiko's scores mean. I see Akiko on the podium and she could surprise and win if Miki struggles. I don't know, I think this one is pretty unpredictable. I see Miki and Ksenia and Akiko as medalling if they are clean but we'll see.

Curious to see if Agnes and Ashley can improve on her their first GP outings. I think it was nerves for Agnes at Skate Canada but I wonder about Ashley. Maybe her training had just gotten off to a slow start. But I really hate Malaguena for her. I know I said something similar about Carmen for Mirai last year and I came around... but my concerns about Malaguena and Ashley more serious. I think Ashley really loves skating and she has some great qualities but she needs to find a style that makes her stick out from the crowd more.

Custom Title
    ^^Yeah I'm very disappointed about Ashley's programs this year as well. The recycled OUATIA program isn't bad but I'm just disappointed because it's recycled; and Malaguena didn't excite me either. I do think due to illness Ashley's training the last month or so before the GP hadn't been ideal but we'll have to wait and see how she holds up at RC. She definitely has the scoring potential to medal and possibly even win if Miki makes mistakes. Personally; my gut feeling says Miki has this one in the bag. Akiko is amazing and due to her great musicality her PCS potential is high and she should make the podium if she lands enough jumps. Then of course we have to assume a Russian girl is going to be taking the podium; I see Makarova as more consistent then Leonova; her jumps are cleaner too; Leonova always has a ton of step-outs, fall-outs, two-foots etc. But for some reason the judges like Leonova and her scoring potential is pretty high.

My dream podium:
    1. Ashley
    2. Akiko
    3. Ksenia or Miki

Prediction:
    1. Miki
    2. Ksenia
    3. Akiko
    4. Ashley
    5. Alena

I wouldn't be surprised if the scores were very close among the top 6 just considering how most of the skaters are strong and pretty comparable.
    Yep. I agree. Except that a clean Miki could receive some 'ex world champion' boost and distance herself from the rest of the field.
    Last edited by Trewyn; 11-16-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Yep. I agree. Except that a clean Miki could receive some 'ex world champion' boost and distance herself from the rest of the field.
    I think so too. I also agree about Ashley's programs, if she was going to recycle a program, I wish it had been her Prince Igor LP and not her old SP, which I didn't like that much. Further I think Malaguena should never be used for a LP, it's too repetitive. If she can skate well though he programs might not matter much.

In terms of Akiko's scores, I just meant that looking at the past season, Akiko hasn't put up any monstrous numbers that Ksenia couldn't dream of achieving at this point like someone like Yuna has.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    My prediction for the men's:

1. Chan
    2. Abbott
    3. Verner

4-6 would consist of Fernandez, Gachinksi, Hanyu (not necessarily in that order).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    My prediction for the men's:

1. Chan
    2. Abbott
    3. Verner

4-6 would consist of Fernandez, Gachinksi, Hanyu (not necessarily in that order).
    Two bronzes most likely won't get Verner in the final though will it? :/

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Two bronzes most likely won't get Verner in the final though will it? :/
    Probably not, although we still have to wait see how the other guys do (there may be a couple of unexpected results, you never know). As a fan of Tomas's skating, I consider it to be more important that he finds consistency this season rather than how he places at a competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    Probably not, although we still have to wait see how the other guys do (there may be a couple of unexpected results, you never know). As a fan of Tomas's skating, I consider it to be more important that he finds consistency this season rather than how he places at a competition.
    I still think he might be able to beat Abbott here if he skates well.

Custom Title
    My predictions, a mix of actual attempted forecasting and subjective wishing...

PAIRS

1) KAVAGUTI/SMIRNOV - Unless they are still not over the injuries, they aren't really challenged in this field.
    2) GERBOLDT/ENBERT - Maybe I'm crazy with this one, as they are a brand new team, but Moskvina is at the helm and Gerboldt is one of the most beautiful women on the ice, which totally counts for scoring. I see her becoming the new Elena Berezhnaya.
    3) EVORA/LADWIG - I see them improving on their last outing and taking advantage of a weaker field. I see the Russian audience responding more to their style than Takahashi and Tran's.

DANCE

1) FAIELLA/SCALI - I know they haven't been all that impressive this GP season, but I think they'll make a come-back here, of sorts.
    2) BOBROVA/SOLOVIEV - Solidifying their claim to being Russia's new top team.
    3) ILLINYKH/KATSALOPOV - She has diva-star quality written all over her. She could propell this team to a podium finish with nothing more than her sassy attitude.

MEN

1) PATRICK CHAN - Obviously the judges like him.
    2) JEREMY ABBOTT - Hopefully growing in confidence this season.
    3) TOMAS VERNER - I can't imagine anyone else medalling, but never say never.

LADIES

1) MIKI ANDO - Is she considered semi-Russian now? She lives in Moscow, speaks Russian and is likely destined to be Mrs Morozov number 4. If she lands at least a few jumps, she wins, anyway.
    2) AKIKO SUZUKI - I'll bet she misses her SP but comes back strong in the LP. Qualifies for her second straight GPF. Impossible not to love her.
    3) ALENA LEONOVA - I, and most people I know/read, prefer Ksenia. But Alena beat her in Finland a few weeks back. Plus she's totally rocking the Slutskaya choreography and embarassing hair/costumes, which Russians may find more comfortably familiar than Ksenia's American-y blond ponytail.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    B/S overscored? Why would that change with home ice advantage?
    Bobrova and Soloviev are not that good just yet. I am not expecting them to not score well, but I am expecting the italians to get their act together and that will be enough to win.

Custom Title
    Last edited by Lucky Star; 11-18-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    Glebova is back to the brown hair? I actually thought she (unlike Gede) looked better as a blonde.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I really want Akiko on the top of this podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I really want Akiko on the top of this podium.
    This one?

http://sdnmsu.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/podium.jpg

Custom Title
    Abbott
    Chan
    Verner

Ando
    Suzuki
    Makarova

Kawaguti & Smirnov
    Ewora & Ladwig
    Takahashi & Tran