Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Men - Long Program

CoP question. If you do a four-jump combination, how is it scored? Isn't it scored as a three-jump combo with no credit given to the fourth jump?

Tripping on the Podium
    Hi everyone. I was just reading Tony Wheeler's blog on the men's long program and he is the only one mentioning that Shawn Sawyer broke the same combination rule as Oda did but didn't get penalized for it as Oda did.

http://www.flutzingaround.com/2010/1...you-armin.html

Can anyone weigh in on this? Are Wheeler's points valid??

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    Hi everyone. I was just reading Tony Wheeler's blog on the men's long program and he is the only one mentioning that Shawn Sawyer broke the same combination rule as Oda did but didn't get penalized for it as Oda did.

http://www.flutzingaround.com/2010/1...you-armin.html

Can anyone weigh in on this? Are Wheeler's points valid??
    Sawyer's 2F+1Lo+3Lo+SEQ is counted as a jump sequence, not at three jump combo. In the rules, if you do a sequence consisting of more than two jumps, only the two highest scoring jumps will count (in this example: (1.8+5.1)*0.8*1.1 = 6.07). In order to use the half-loop (1Lo) as a part of a three jump combo, the third jump has to be either the flip or salchow. All other jump requires you to use extra connectiong steps in order to take off from the correct edge, therefore making it a sequence. At least, that's how I interpret it.

__________________________________________________ _______
    Visit the danish figure skating blog www.sequinsgalore.blogspot.com

Custom Title
    sequinsgalore has it right. I think that whole rule is weird, and I had an international judge come across my Twitter post on the subject and he explained it to me. Sorry about that.

Tripping on the Podium
    A lovely picture from Daisuke Murakami.

http://twitpic.com/36zyum

They all used to be Morozov's pupils.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Shawn Sawyer's LP has the best choreography of the season thus far. Such a creative program. The way he does a 3Loop literally out of nowhere, from almost a standstill, is fantastic. His spiral and cantilever are brilliant highlights. He has more versatile spin positions than any other male out there today and those spins are incorporated into the program very well. The "choreography footwork sequence" actually works with the choreography and makes great time across the ice. The program builds throughout and has a VIEWPOINT.

I think he should have been ranked 2nd in the LP (with Oda 1st, because of being ahead by a mile on the jumps...his 3Sal being worth 0 points was ridiculous). Shawn's 3Axel did not deserve to be downgraded and, IMO, he should have received the highest overall PCS of the night. I find it absurd that such an inventive program and energetic performance without any major breaks in flow can receive a 66 for PCS and then Takahashi receives a personal best of 85 for his jumbled effort and Oda receives 79 for a rather monotone performance/program.

RE: Shawn Sawyer's 3Flip+half-loop+3Loop sequence - I've no idea why he attempts that. Perhaps he thought putting the half-loop inbetween would make it count as a combination with the new rules (given that at NHK he didn't do a 3-jump combination at the end like he did at Skate America...it seems like maybe he found out after NHK and didn't want to have to focus on changing the choreography before Skate America). He should do a 3Flip+half-loop+3Sal combination. This would be the best jump layout for him:

3Axel
    3Flip+3Toe
    3Lutz
    2Axel (with the tano variation)
    ---------
    3Loop
    3Flip+half-loop+3Sal
    3Loop+2Loop
    2Axel

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15