Oksana Baiul 90's Skater | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Oksana Baiul 90's Skater

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Baiul

I'm not a Baiul fan but I appreciate good skating when I see it. She has had her moments (her gold performances of course being the best of them) but there are certainly limitations. Way back at the start of this thread a few people were discussing skating history and putting people in a larger context. For some of the fans here who are relatively young, it may seem a little hard when the older ones of us put Oksana in a wider historical context. She won a gold - that puts her on the map, no doubt. But in terms of stature and influence, her eligible career (at the top of her game) was so short that she's blip on the historical radar eligible-wise and she hasn't been able to follow it with a strong professional career showing to augment that.

My opinion - people keep calling her a ballerina on ice because she used, most memorably, ballet music and gave us a lasting impression of one solo from Swan Lake. If I had to pick a true ballerina on ice, regardless of the music, it would be Yuka Sato for sure and maybe Janet Lynn too.

Her personal problems have certainly overshadowed her skating but let's hope all the negative stuff is way behind her and she has nothing but clear sky ahead. As someone who wants young people to succeed and appreciates the huge issues she has faced, I am really on her side but even today, I find her skating distressing. I saw her skate live several times this season and I have to admit, I don't get it.

The fist pumping and moments of "triumph" almost every time she lands a jump interrupts the flow of her programs and is starting to look darn silly. Her performances are sometimes less about the program and great skating than about the "come back story." Cheer for me because I hit a jump. Yup, for a while. It's getting old - someone on another board said she was doing this last week in performance. She's supposed to hit double jumps - she's a gold medalist and someone people pay good money to see. I would like her to concentrate in a more focused way on her program when she is on the ice and try to leave her personal angst in the dressing room. Please skate. I know that a skater can't compartmentalize themselves completely and they bring all of themselves to the ice. But like in the bad old days (I am especially thinking of seeing her live in the old World Pros, 2000 maybe, when the performances were like train wrecks), we have too much of Oksana's story played out on the ice - it overshadows her strengths. Her Russian Dance program - great music, great costume, great possibilities for performance - has such potential but she keeps interrupting the flow just to fight through elements or celebrate the ones she's hit. Quite a few bad positions, coming to almost complete stops after some jumps, lots of obvious "trying" but that's uncomfortable to watch outside of the junior ranks. I don't know if she needs more sensitive coaching (I suspect she does) but something's still not there. I hope for her that it soon will be. If not I think she may not be remembered very much at all in years to come. In many ways not her fault but not a particularly happy story either.

Last edited:

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
Brandenburg, thanks for your perspective.
My thinking is because Oksana Baiul (outside of the Ukraine) was unknown prior to the 1993-94 skating seasons that this factored into the excitement she brought to the skating World. It is a rare, rare feat for a skater to come out of virtually nowhere and win a World Championship without having established themselves in the ranks. Many (99%) skaters who have won either a World Championship or Olympic Gold have been known to the international skating community for a considerable period of time. And with Oksana Baiul this obviously was not the case. Although the period of time was brief - the time was most memorable. Oksana Baiul was trained at the skating club Meteor. And like a meteor Oksana Baiul shined brilliantly through a clear night sky. Perhaps that will then be her legacy.

heyang

Record Breaker
I tend to agree with Brandenburg regarding Oksana.

Also, I felt that Oksana lucked out a bit in 93. Skating in a post Olympic year is usually weak since many go pro. It's typically a rebuilding year. Technically, Nancy was the favorite, but had a total meltdown at Worlds in 93.

I haven't figured out why I don't get Oksana's skating. The only definite objection I have is the way her jumps are telegraphed. There's a awkward cautiousness in some of her moves that turn me off her skating. JMHO.

Anyway, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm glad she's got fans.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oksana became a very big favourite of mine as she appeated suddenly on the skating scene in 1993. She was there for such a very short time, but that time remains most enjoyable in my memory. I rather have the huge pleasure of watching a short but really enjoyable skating career than a long career of somebody which I find rather boring...

I have not seen much of Oksana´s pro skating, but I definetely liked her skating in Disney Special 1998 where she e.g. skated a duet with Ilia Kulik (Beauty and the Beast) and also liked her in ensemble skating. Her own solo was good also. From the reviews of skating events I have though gotten the impression that there was a time when she went over-board with her dramatics, etc. I liked her skating in recent Ice Wars.

I´m glad that Oksana is trying a come-back, and wish her all the success in her skating career. Maybe as she is performing more now, she will gradually concentrate more on the programme and leave the celebration for successful jumping out...

Marjaana

Edited: LOL, sorry, this is a more or less of repeat what I posted earlier...

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
YES! {thumbs up} :love:

Can't believe that I was fortunate enough to catch Oksana on NBC's Today Show around 10 or 15 minutes ago. :)^)

Might've missed the first few minutes. However, I did manage to catch her brief conversation w/the gentleman interviewing her on the ice (btw did it look coooooold out there *burrr* :eek: ).

Oksana mentioned how she went back home to Ukraine recently and met her granny & daddy (the screen showed some beautiful pics of them btw)......at this point she seemed to choke up a little w/emotion.......can really tell how much she loves them both, but especially her granny. JMHO. Then she went on to talk about her fiancee - Gene - and related a couple of funny antecdotes. He truly seems like such a fine young gentleman from everything that I have observed of him over the last few yrs. and also what Oksana, herself, has said. With his help, she has become more active with charities and other similar activities such as helping out that Russian dance school in New York by donating clothes (particularly coats) to the little ones. And he also helped her start her own clothing line, which he has great experience in b/c of his own profession in clothing retail. Last but not least, they both share a common background & culture.......both of Ukrainian descent.......both came to the US from Russia/Ukraine (he at 5 yrs. of age, she at 16 yrs.). All things that I personally think lend itself to a great relationship, not to mention marriage (btw they are only a few yrs. apart in age as well). :)

After the little chitchat, Oksana took off her jacket, rubbed her hands together, and took her starting position to Swan Lake. Once again, want to mention how cold & windy it looked out there. But Oksana had no problems ~ skated a mini version of the aforementioned program ~ lovely. She, did, however seem tired despite the smiles. And her hair was rather windblown. :D

Peace, Love & Happy Holiday! Nadine

:love:HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO MY FELLOW OKSANA FANS (especially Jen, Z, John, et al):love:

pairsfan

On the Ice
For those of you in the Seattle area, Oksana will be on Evening Magazine tomorrow (7-7:30 pm on KING5, repeated at 3:05am).

Does anyone know when 20/20 will air the reunion with her father?

O/T-Scott will be on Hollywood Squares 1/5-1/9.