Ladies Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyway, on the bright side looks like Flatt is on her way to the GPF. 2 silvers should do it. Let's see if Czisny (or with a miracle, Nagasu) can join her.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
NBC said Rachael has tendonitis and that is why she did not do 3Lz+ 3Lo
For not being 100% Rachael did pretty well.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.

Rachael will never do the 3Lz+3Lo.

She should change coaches to Artunian. He would get her jumping higher. She needs to improve her speed across the ice and her basic jump technique.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Well, I hadn't seen it yet, so I wasn't judging. I was just reflecting on the comments and the way people these days are sceptical about biased technical callers. People will always disagree about results and stuff like this just comes up. I personally have no opinion because my feeds were choppy and I didn't watch the SPs. Plus, I'm not a fan of either Rachael or Kanako, I truly couldn't care less. But I find it interesting that there's been so much controversy about the judging throughout the entire GP season so far. People not understanding the score is killing the sport.

Okay, I'm killing the sport, cuz I don't understand how on earth can Kostner deserve the highest PE score for her performance today..

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People not understanding the score is killing the sport.

And figure skating has always been this way. Who could understand why Oksana beat Nancy in 1994? Who could understand why Sale + Pelletier also deserved an Olympic gold medal in 2002? Who could understand why Torvill + Dean only won Olympic bronze in 1994? Who could understand why Slutskaya beat Kwan at the 2001-2002 season Grand Prix Final? And so on and so on and so on . . . :confused:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
She should change coaches to Artunian. He would get her jumping higher. She needs to improve her speed across the ice and her basic jump technique.

That would have been a good idea about 3-5 years ago. I suspect Ms Flatt is aware of her weaknesses in the speed and technical areas, but with her competitive career winding down in favor of moving on to college, I figure Rachael and her family probably decided the hassle of going coach-shopping and moving late in her career wasn't worth it, and to just stick it out with her current situation.

gourry

Final Flight
I've been really busy and I just watched some performances on youtube and from what I watched it didn't seem I missed much.
Anyway, SA was the first competition that I watched the whole ladies and well, I really enjoyed Rachael and feel sorry for her that she didn't get higher score. Her choreography was interesting and she performed it pretty well. I think she should have won this competition. And I absolutely love her new costume for this LP. It is gorgeous and she looks so slim in it! Wow.
And Joshi Helgesson was wuzrobbed. I'll have my eyes on her from now on. She was enjoyable and looks very promising!
Carolina being Carolina even with a water-downed program was... so disappointing. I know she has knee injury so I'll stop ranting about her.
Kanako was also enjoyable but I can't agree with her score. She was not even clean and has her own technical flaws which reminds me of younger Mao quite a lot. And that score? :rolleye:
If it was up to me, I would have placed Rachael-Kanako-Joshi on the podium.
By the way, I'm so proud of Caroline. She fixed her horrid flip technic!! So sorry Caroline for ever doubting you... It will only benefit her in the long term. Way to go!:yay::yay: Now, if only she can get rid of that mule kick from her lutz...

krenseby

Final Flight
They did? From what I could tell from NBC, they seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about Rachael's performance, too. Scott and Tracy both thought Rachael had won.

I though Rachael deserved the higher scores in both interpretation and choreography. To me, Rachael's choreography suited th particular choice of music, while the choreography of most of the others was fairly generic.

(Actually, I though Carolina Kostner had the best choreography overall.)

In spite of everything, I was impressed by Caroline Zhang's effort. It won't happen this year, but I predict she will be back in the mix in 2011-12.

I also enjoyed Rachael's interpretation and choreography. I still need someone to explain to me why she is lacking in these areas. The only thing I would like to see from her is more complicated footwork. That's the only thing she is missing.

Carolina Kostner's choreography is pretty amazing, it's like she is doing a really complicated dance on ice, with her feet and arms constantly swaying and changing positions. But she does have some injury to deal with. I need to get the whole story on that.

Caroline Zhang, however, had the lowest TES score in the FS among all the Skate America participants. Obviously, this is a distressingly poor finish that signals that she will be out of contention for a top 6 finish in any ISU event but also at U.S. Nationals.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Caroline Zhang, however, had the lowest TES score in the FS among all the Skate America participants. Obviously, this is a distressingly poor finish that signals that she will be out of contention for a top 6 finish in any ISU event but also at U.S. Nationals.

I have to agree. The numbers don't lie, and looking at the numbers, Caroline is about on par with Jenna McCorkell and Min-Jung Kwak at the moment. She's young and has time to improve, but she still has a long way to go. In the SP she was fairly impressive b/c it seems she is usually able to pull out the 3 jumps needed in the SP, but in the LP it seems that she just can't keep it together, and in the 2nd half of the program her jumps abandon her. She also looks more labored on the ice than she used to, I think some of it is due to the much sturdier body type she has now.

In the next few years I could see her going to Worlds and placing decently there and maybe getting back on the podium at US nats, but I don't think she'll ever be a world beater, and don't expect her to ever medal at Worlds or win nationals. JMPO but that's how I see it.

She used to do so well because she could do 3-3s (albeit with poor technique), her spins and spirals were exceptional, and she was consistent with her jumps. Now, she can't do 3-3s or even a proper 3lz, and while her spins and spirals are still good, they aren't as good as they used to be, and she's inconsistent with her jumps. She has time but the US is always a deep field and there's a good chance she could get lost in the shuffle, at least until she gets used to the new technique.

christinaskater

Medalist
Kanako is so lovable and endearing to everyone watching her, her innate kindness and passion for skating shines through.

I absolutely love her!

I think Joshi should have medaled , she was amazing! It's amazing nonetheless, since she placed 4th in her first ISU gp event! Amazing! She placed 9th in Jr. Worlds.

Expect her scores to really soar as she starts to build a name for herself in skating! Her artistry and jumps were lovely, she only landed 5 triples so we hope she could add in some more.

I get a little of Lu Chen vibes when I see her, her body and lovely arm movements dances with the music so well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think the ladiezzz results really show the new generation has arrived. Great to see Kanako win gold, and Joshi did quite well for herself considering the hectic travel and competition schedule she's had so far this season. Meite doesn't do much for me, but she is definitely a good jumper and between her, Silete, and Marocco, the future of French ladies figure skating is looking a lot better than it used to. I was glad to see Kwak improve upon her performances in China despite competing for the 3rd time in 3 weeks. Hope she now will have some time to rest and let her back fully heal so she can come back strong for 4CC and Worlds. Despite the injury and less than ideal training facility, she has improved her speed and stretch, so hopefully the improvements will continue.

gold12345

Medalist

She needs more time. It's already an accomplishment to have that mule kick gone on the flip. I don't think any of us could have predicted that. But she doesn't look very comfortable with her new technique or her long program yet. She skates so slow and almost has to launch herself into the jumps from a standstill. Ultimately, I think she can definitely be better than what she showed today, but it could take time since she has years and years of such bad habits.

FTnoona

Final Flight
My gosh! I've heard of this tech caller being really strict but after actually looking over the protocols..... 22 or more underrotations called in the FS and 9ish of those were called on double jumps. More respect for those ladies that didn't get any UR called even if they singled or doubled the jump.. Sigh I hope Mirai doesn't get this guy as the caller in France :(
On a happier not congrats to Kanako for her first GP win!!!:laugh:

Nigel

On the Ice
ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.

Rachael will never do the 3Lz+3Lo.

Flatt is dealing with a leg/ankle injury according to her coach's interview and could not do the combo this week.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Flatt is dealing with a leg/ankle injury according to her coach's interview and could not do the combo this week.

She already jumps so low though, I think that's what Blades of Passion was getting at. You need real height to get a 3Lo in, even men can't do this consistently

FTnoona

Final Flight
She already jumps so low though, I think that's what Blades of Passion was getting at. You need real height to get a 3Lo in, even men can't do this consistently

Totally agree with you. Meanie tech callers keep calling Miki's 3Lz-3Lo UR so I think If Rachael does attempt it, the 3Lo most likely will be downgraded too :(