Ladies Free Skate | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm not going to get into any of this "wuzrobbed" business this time, but I certainly enjoyed Kanako's performance more, annoying or whatnot. If you see her in interviews and the way she acts when she's not skating you can see it is clearly not "put on", she is really quite adorable. It takes a really precocious person to declare about Mao, "She skates in heaven while I skate on Earth"

How do you find this season's programs on FSVids? I can only see the 2009-2010 season, unless the 2010-2011 season forum just got added in

Eh, I don't care who enjoys Kanako or Rachael more, I'm just annoyed at being accused as a liar when I'm most definitely not. But I'm with you - I personally prefer Kanako. I think you are right when it says that she comes across as genuine. Nothing about her seems put on.

As for FSVids - the current section is always a closed one. You usually have to repost videos (10, I think) to gain access to it. The 2010/2011 forum has been there since the JGP, I don't know if people who don't have access can't see it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well. I didn't get to watch and I'm only now catching up ... so I have no educated opinion of the Rachael v. Kanako debate that appears to have emerged.
(Ah - a few days away from GS and I land right in the middle of a wuzrobbed fight. Figure skating. :party2: )

I watched Rachael's LP and Kanako's LP and Carolina's SP on Youtube, since the reports said they were the highlight.

Rachael's skating itself seems pretty much the same as last year but I like her LP so much better. Well, I didn't like her LP last year at all. But her LP choreo this is enjoyable and she seems to enjoy it. A couple of her her not-so-great spins still disrupt the program, I suppose, but this year the footwork seems to suit her better and even the spirals are worked in in such a way that they look better. I liked the landing on her flip.

I personally think Rachael has peaked. But she really pushes herself to her limits (injury limitations not withstanding) and gives it all she's got. That is often enough to medal or win and why she is always a threat.

Also, Rachael looked confident and in control. I have to say that does give her ice presence of sorts.

Oh. Costume: the cut definitely and improvement. The color, not such much. Fire-engine red, no. Yellow or black, yes.

I've been enjoying watching Kanako emerge this year. I personally do like her style and I don't see that she is over the top like some people say. The technique on some of her jumps seem awkward, though. Whoever said her hammer kick is obvious is right. I think she is like Akiko - she doesn't have the most wow jumps or wow flexibility but she has such a fun performance style that she totally sells herself and I agree with Janetfan that her joy comes across. I think she is better than Akiko though, at least potentially.

Sorry to hear Caroline Zhang struggled so much again. Sigh. I know she's in the middle of reworking everything but it's hard to keep the faith that it's ever going to happen for that girl. We'll see.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Just watched Rachael, Kanako and Kostner. I enjoyed Rachael's performance so much with with great energy and her 'all-American' sassy touches. Lovely. I expected higher PE, CH and IN than Kanako, and still don't get the 3T< (just like her 3T< in some fluff competition, JO or WT in Japan a couple of seasons ago, with the technical caller being Shin Amano). I do agree though Rachael doesn't have many GOE+ worthy elements, which I guess hurts her a lot.

*Btw I don't buy the tecnical controller bias conspiracy at all. Shin Amano loves downgrading everyone's jumps lol. Cas in point: Mao's 3axel < at Words.

Congrats to Kanako's first win! I think some people are being harsh on her- Yes her choreography is a bit over the top and so is her rather in-your-face cuteness, but who cares this is her senior debut and her team obviously wanted to leave a big impact and they did it! I see her as a (much) downgraded version of Yuna. Both have amazing speed with lots of cross-overs except Yuna has better control, both have amazing 3-3t with great height and distance except Yuna's is more difficult, both have crowd-friendly 'selling' moves/ expressions, neither of them has fantastic posture/line, neither of them has pointed toes, etc. Judging from the generous scores, maybe Kanako's style meets the judging trend.

I personally prefer Haruka Imai as 'the Japanese girl on the rise' but the more talent the better!

Re: Kostener. Her jumps didn't belong to the senior level but I think this program is her best and so is her delivery (obviously minust the jumps).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sorry to hear Caroline Zhang struggled so much again. Sigh. I know she's in the middle of reworking everything but it's hard to keep the faith that it's ever going to happen for that girl. We'll see.

She'll be fine.

I know her fans are worried, but I'm convinced she'll be fine.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She'll be fine.

I know her fans are worried, but I'm convinced she'll be fine.

I agree. If things don't get better for her she can always go to college like a normal kid her age. Her attitude seems improved and it would appear she's keeping a more open mind, so this probably means she's thought out her future and what she plans to do depending on how her skating goes.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I really hope that Caroline will be fine, but from the looks of it I have my doubts. She does in fact skate slow and even though her mule kick has gone, her jumps are still not good. Even her once trade mark spins are slower and at best average.

Kanako will have to fix her horrible flutz and she too has a mule kick. I think she had alot of personality, but I am not a fan of speed for the sake of speed. She skates like a junior and in my opinion she should have been second in this competition. Her PCS should not be higher than mid 6's at best. She just is not quite there yet.

I was pleasantly surprised by Rachael. She deserved the standing O. She had personality, overall pretty good jumps, and although some of her spins are not pleasing to the eye, she has a lovely layback. Overall her speed was at least average, that is not what I expected with what I have read on the boards. I hope her injury is not severe and that she will be able to skate in the GPF. Oh, and really her red costume looked beautiful on her. She had the best costumes of the ladies.

Last edited:

Nigel

On the Ice
Just watched Rachael, Kanako and Kostner. I enjoyed Rachael's performance so much with with great energy and her 'all-American' sassy touches. Lovely. I expected higher PE, CH and IN than Kanako, and still don't get the 3T< (just like her 3T< in some fluff competition, JO or WT in Japan a couple of seasons ago, with the technical caller being Shin Amano). I do agree though Rachael doesn't have many GOE+ worthy elements, which I guess hurts her a lot.

*Btw I don't buy the tecnical controller bias conspiracy at all. Shin Amano loves downgrading everyone's jumps lol. Cas in point: Mao's 3axel < at Words.

Congrats to Kanako's first win! I think some people are being harsh on her- Yes her choreography is a bit over the top and so is her rather in-your-face cuteness, but who cares this is her senior debut and her team obviously wanted to leave a big impact and they did it! I see her as a (much) downgraded version of Yuna. Both have amazing speed with lots of cross-overs except Yuna has better control, both have amazing 3-3t with great height and distance except Yuna's is more difficult, both have crowd-friendly 'selling' moves/ expressions, neither of them has fantastic posture/line, neither of them has pointed toes, etc. Judging from the generous scores, maybe Kanako's style meets the judging trend.

I personally prefer Haruka Imai as 'the Japanese girl on the rise' but the more talent the better!

Re: Kostener. Her jumps didn't belong to the senior level but I think this program is her best and so is her delivery (obviously minust the jumps).

Not only is Shin Amano tough on the calls, but so is Sissy Krick. I think there were 22 < calls and 4 e calls on jumps in the ladies LP. Guess you have to decide it that is a typical # of "<" or not for an event.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Watching her with her coach along the boards before she comes out to skate I see it too. I think she is cute but her appeal to me is the joy of skating she seems to show. She looks like she is having fun and that appeals to me on certain levels.

I have loved Kanako's moments with coach before she comes out to skate since NHK SP. :)
The smiles!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Layfan, watch Kanako's SP. That's what most of the debate is about. Personally I loved it.

I enjoyed it too. I liked it when I first watched it at NHK. The girl can dance. That is what makes her such a fun performer - it's not just her enthusiasm. I think she's got the moves and the potential to skate to many types of music.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I enjoyed Kanako's program, too. In the beginning, I thought the program was a bit juniorish,but for a girl who just became senior, I think it is an appropriate and fun program. Only thing bothers me about her skating is her standing knee. I wish she could straighten it especially when she is doing layback to biellman spin.