Ladies Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate

ks777

Record Breaker
There's really not much to think about....Rachel won the LP; had she been higher in the SP, she would have won over all. Kanako did not win "based on who the technical caller was".

Exactly! Besides, Amano is known to be strick to japanese skaters also. He constantly downgraded Mao's 3 axels when it looked pretty clean. If he was trying to held japanese skaters up, I don't think he would have called Kanako's 3F underrotated in SP. Also, Takahashi and Oda both got e on the 3lutz jumps here at skate america...

Andalusia

Final Flight
A big fat boo to Carolina's scores again. I'd have Joshi in third over her. Kostner's technical content was, quite frankly, pathetic.

I actually preferred Rachael to Kanako this time around, and I wouldn't have minded had she won. Rachael rightfully won the LP, but I guess the jump error in the short really did her in.

Caroline's consistency has absolutely gone out the window, but at least her flip has finally been fixed. No -GOEs and even some pluses - not bad!

Trewyn

Medalist
There's really not much to think about....Rachel won the LP; had she been higher in the SP, she would have won over all. Kanako did not win "based on who the technical caller was".

Well, I hadn't seen it yet, so I wasn't judging. I was just reflecting on the comments and the way people these days are sceptical about biased technical callers. People will always disagree about results and stuff like this just comes up. I personally have no opinion because my feeds were choppy and I didn't watch the SPs. Plus, I'm not a fan of either Rachael or Kanako, I truly couldn't care less. But I find it interesting that there's been so much controversy about the judging throughout the entire GP season so far. People not understanding the score is killing the sport.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Rachael also left a lot of points on the table with her spin levels. I think the whole caller thing is ridiculous, as Kanako got downgrades as well.

Rachael skated clean, but even when she skates clean, she's not exciting. She got 2 UR calls. Kanako bests her in spins, skating skills, audience connection and musicality. Kanako has charisma, and while Rachael seems like a lovely girl, she simply doesn't.

I actually found the judging throughout the competition, not just hte ladies, to be quite fair.

I think Rachael edged out Kanako on IN - Kanako was higher on the other pcs.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I hadn't seen it yet, so I wasn't judging. I was just reflecting on the comments and the way people these days are sceptical about biased technical callers. People will always disagree about results and stuff like this just comes up. I personally have no opinion because my feeds were choppy and I didn't watch the SPs. Plus, I'm not a fan of either Rachael or Kanako, I truly couldn't care less. But I find it interesting that there's been so much controversy about the judging throughout the entire GP season so far. People not understanding the score is killing the sport.

Thank you.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Murakami deserved to win this competition. She is faster than Flatt, she has more stretch, and her jumps are bigger. Her LP was rightfully marked close to Flatt's and the lead in the SP saw her home.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I'd like to congratulate Viktoria Helgesson for having the only skate that didn't have either edge call or downgrade (though she singled a would be double toe in a combo). Even with a known tough tech controller. And she landed a clean triple of every kind sans axel (Lz, F, Lo, S, T). :yay:

And it seems Kanako did get called for her usual flutz and usual couple of underrotations, so it's not clear just from protocols that any favoritism went on, at least on TES side. Rachael lost the gold in the SP.

Trewyn

Medalist
That needs Cisny to get bronze at TEB too. If Czisny is fourth, she'd be behind Flatt.

Oh that's right! I guess in the calculations in my mind I had Czisny's spot already locked :p but with her, you never know :). I'll be crossing my fingers for her during TEB!! I really missed her spins in this competition.. I saw so much mediocre spinning tonight! Thank god Ladies figure skating still has Czisny.

lavender

Record Breaker
I liked kanako but she should have been second.

She was 2nd in the short and the long and Rachel who was 4th in short and 1st in long. Don't forget there is a short program and this rightfully kept Kanako who also skated a nice long program to keep her ahead of Rachel overall.
And it seems Kanako did get called for her usual flutz and usual couple of underrotations, so it's not clear just from protocols that any favoritism went on, at least on TES side. Rachael lost the gold in the SP.

ITA

The crowd liked her the best too.

They did? From what I could tell from NBC, they seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about Rachael's performance, too. Scott and Tracy both thought Rachael had won.

I though Rachael deserved the higher scores in both interpretation and choreography. To me, Rachael's choreography suited th particular choice of music, while the choreography of most of the others was fairly generic.

(Actually, I though Carolina Kostner had the best choreography overall.)

In spite of everything, I was impressed by Caroline Zhang's effort. It won't happen this year, but I predict she will be back in the mix in 2011-12.

Tanja90

On the Ice
Oh that's right! I guess in the calculations in my mind I had Czisny's spot already locked :p but with her, you never know :). I'll be crossing my fingers for her during TEB!! I really missed her spins in this competition.. I saw so much mediocre spinning tonight! Thank god Ladies figure skating still has Czisny.

but czsny has a gold medal! if there are two skater with same points she will be choose on :first colour of medals; second best overall mark! so czsny is in a better position with her gold medal and I think with her overall mark that should be higher than rachel. she only need a four and that's it!

Artistry

On the Ice
Flatt's spins and overall program are as boring as usual. I've never looked forward to her skating, regardless of her TES or the choreographer.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Scott made interesting comment - "as Kanako matures she will learn to skate with the music and not right through it."

She is a natural performer and as her IN gets better she could get high pcs.....

gold12345

Medalist
Rachael was only 3 points behind Murakami after the short. I thought Rachael did enough to win tonight. Dare I say it, Rachael showed more maturity, sophistication, and expression than Murakami. And her jumping overall was more solid. Rachael's spins did lack even more stretch than usual tonight, and Murakami did get the 3T-3T done, but I still thought Rachael had it. At least it was very close.

Caroline Zhang skated painfully slow tonight. She was crawling into that 2A. Impressed by her 3F... I give her a lot of credit for fixing such a bad habit. I hope she can continue to get more comfortable with her new technique. It's clearly a work in progress, but it's a start. I'm not sure how they can get her to skate faster, but it's the most glaring issue with her skating.

And Scott Hamilton is ridiculous. He said something along the lines of, "Look at a picture of what Caroline looked like as a Junior, and look at her now, she's really matured". It was a stupid comment. EVERY skater looks very different and "more mature" than when they were 13 or 14. Duh!

Andalusia

Final Flight
Quite disappointing that Maé couldn't repeat her success in the short, too! She may be new on the scene, but she certainly has more presence than many of the ladies who placed above her. I really do hope she can improve her consistency in the long.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They did? From what I could tell from NBC, they seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about Rachael's performance, too. Scott and Tracy both thought Rachael had won.

they had good reason to think so. just.........oh n/m I quit

I though Rachael deserved the higher scores in both interpretation and choreography. To me, Rachael's choreography suited th particular choice of music, while the choreography of most of the others was fairly generic.

I've found her bland in the past but she did a really good job of selling this program. I like this from her- not your typical "put me to sleep now" LP but one that makes you pay SOME sort of attention.

janetfan

Match Penalty
They did? From what I could tell from NBC, they seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about Rachael's performance, too. Scott and Tracy both thought Rachael had won. :think:

(Actually, I though Carolina Kostner had the best choreography overall.)

From what I could see the "crowd" gave Kanako by far the biggest ovation after the SP's. They seemed louder after her LP.
I did see a few people standing for Rachael - but most appeared to remain seated.

NBC opened their coverage with Kanako featured. She was the only skater whose SP they showed.
I get the feeling Scott loves Kanako and sort of admires "reliable Rachael." I never heard him say she won or should have won

but czsny has a gold medal! if there are two skater with same points she will be choose on :first colour of medals; second best overall mark! so czsny is in a better position with her gold medal and I think with her overall mark that should be higher than rachel. she only need a four and that's it!

2nd+2nd = 13+13 = 26.

1st+4th = 15+9 = 24.