Short program masterpieces (Men Edition) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Short program masterpieces (Men Edition)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Yeah, I was going to post his performance of it at the Olympics.

Those footwork sequences are clearly among the best ever. That's the kind of footwork CoP should reward. It's ridiculous how Patrick Chan gets +3 across the board for his "choreography step sequence" when it doesn't even maintain a clean pattern on the ice.

The rules for scoring step sequences were so much better when CoP first came out. The footwork of Jeff Buttle at 2005 Worlds was as good as Barna's. Incredibly quick turns across the ice while keep the momentum of the footwork in a clean line - no jagged deviations or backtracking or ridiculous drops of the upper body in order to execute a movement.

ciocio

On the Ice
Ilia Kulik is one of the most gifted skaters we have ever seen. One born for the ice. He embodied everything that the Russian mens skating should be. Why can't all these young skaters coming up from Russia try to imitate him instead of Plushenko?

Considering how inconsistent the young Russians are, I believe they are all imitating Kulik!:laugh:

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it fair of me to say ALL of Alexei's short programs????

Layfan

Record Breaker
All of my faves have pretty much been named and I'm glad people remembered Paul Wylie and Rudy Galindo along with Yagudin...

Jeremy's a Day in the Life might have been might favorite SP from last year but this was my favorite performance of an SP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMeP5eqQKDg

My all-time favorite performer aside from Yagudin and Lambiel :love:

Takahashi almost looks like he's out there improvising _ in a good way. Watching him is almost like walking into a salsa or tango bar and watching the best dancers on the floor. I don't think I've seen a more natural male dancer on ice.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
To me, masterpiece is largely regarding to choreography, a small portion of it related to performance. So if most of these masterpieces came from Alexei Yagudin, does that mean that Morozov and Tarasova were the masterpiece makers?:p I would think so. Love them!:bow:

evangeline

Record Breaker
To me, masterpiece is largely regarding to choreography, a small portion of it related to performance. So if most of these masterpieces came from Alexei Yagudin, does that mean that Morozov and Tarasova were the masterpiece makers?:p I would think so. Love them!:bow:

Actually, I think performance has a lot to do with a program being a masterpiece. I guess I'll use an example:

Exhibit A: Stephane Lambiel 2007

Exhibit B and C: Jeremy Abbott 2010, Brian Joubert 2010

All three of these programs have the same choreographer (Antonio Najarro), relatively similar style of dance choreography, similar choreographic flourishes....but only one is a masterpiece (so far).

I think I'm slowly warming up to Jeremy's and Brian's SPs, but to me, they still lack the utter conviction and intrinsic feel for the choreography that made Stephane's Poeta such a masterpiece.

For a program to be a masterpiece, IMO, a skater must transcend the choreography--this is largely dependent on the skater's interpretive skill.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Well, that's why I didn't call Takahashi's SP a masterpiece. I don't think it was. It was awesome but I don't think it will be remembered as a skate for the ages or anything. It's just that I came into this thread late and everyone else already listed the ones I would consider masterpieces. :)

Anyway, I think it takes a perfect unity of both - great choreo and a great performer like Yagudin. Only a limited amount of skaters can do justice to great choreography. I'm sure David Wilson saves his best stuff for Yuna as only she can pull off Dance Macabre. At the same time, it must be stressful for Wilson because he must create something that does justice to Yuna's talent.

I think Takahashi is capable of doing justice to timeless choreography.

shine

Record Breaker
Lambiel 2007 SP to "Blood Diamond" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlj7bSqa98
I think this would've been my favourite Lambiel SP had he ever skated it cleanly. I Still can't believe a program like this was ever performed once (competitively). I can watch the SlSt over and over.. The way he moves to the music is just incredible.

Last edited: