Overall Thoughts on Skate America | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Overall Thoughts on Skate America

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I rewatched the Skate America D&W FD-the first time I watched it, my heart was in my mouth, worrying about them because they screwed up in the SD, and just about the time I relaxed enough to enjoy the show they fell. I also rewatched the NHK version.

NHK version still does not thrill me at all; they were being way too careful and not performing it, IMO.

When I rewatched the Skate America, I found the part of the dance up to the fall was definitely better, and I was liking it a lot. After the fall, D&W went back to being careful, and the dance went back to being uninteresting.

I hope the third time's the charm (at GPF)

Last edited:

L'amour

On the Ice
I am a huge D&W fan and these programs are doing nothing for me. They are boring. I hope Marlie can get their spark back. I am loving the Shibs and I think Samuelson and Bates will have a fight on their hands next season for that #2 US dance team spot. I loved S&H in the pairs. It is beyond wonderful to see a pairs team who is that young with that level of performance skill. They nailed that country dance!

"change your dam choreographer" was the first thing that came on my mind afer watching their dances at skate america. I confess that they had alot of "spark" in 08/09/10 but this season their programs and their look simply don't reflect this anymore.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm glad Doris and L'amour said this as I thought maybe it was me. At first I thought that my feeling were just because their last year's POTO FD was one of the best skates I had ever seen....a tough act to follow.....
makes me want a digitally enhanced DVD of the best ice dancers from the 1990-2006 from Russia, Italy and France to compare them to.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, it's unreasonable to expect greatness every FD from any team :)

On my score card, I've liked most of their programs by the end of the season, with the exception of their Kalinka OD. However, both Rigby and POTO grew massively throughout the season and as they did, I became very fond of both.

Eleanor Rigby at Skate America was not a big hit. It was marginally better at TEB. At Nationals, it was a darn revelation!! with Dick Button getting all worked up about it in a very amusing way.

So I'm not giving up on their FD. BTW, I like their SD already, although they haven't yet given a great performance of it, as much as I like any of these mutant hybrid short dances.