Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: American Idol Holiday Special 11-25-03

Hi Yazmeen, yes I have seen the Bing and David pairing many times before. While I like much of what David Bowie puts out there musically, in my opinion, his voice quality is not superior to Clay's in any way. They have different styles and range of notes, so of course Clay wouldn't sound like David Bowie, nor should he or be compared vocally. I didn't feel Clay was off tempo or off key at all. (It is harder to sing with an "image" than it is to sing with someone in person).

Although I would have liked to have heard Clay sing his own song during the special (I thought the special as a whole was not very appealing), I think it must have been flattering to have been chosen to be paired with the great Bing Crosby. Perhaps, another one of his songs, such as "White Christmas" could have been used instead of "Drummer Boy", but we "Clay" fans take what we can get................ 42

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by show 42
    Hi Yazmeen, yes I have seen the Bing and David pairing many times before. While I like much of what David Bowie puts out there musically, in my opinion, his voice quality is not superior to Clay's in any way. They have different styles and range of notes, so of course Clay wouldn't sound like David Bowie, nor should he or be compared vocally. I didn't feel Clay was off tempo or off key at all. (It is harder to sing with an "image" than it is to sing with someone in person).

Although I would have liked to have heard Clay sing his own song during the special (I thought the special as a whole was not very appealing), I think it must have been flattering to have been chosen to be paired with the great Bing Crosby. Perhaps, another one of his songs, such as "White Christmas" could have been used instead of "Drummer Boy", but we "Clay" fans take what we can get................ 42
    Though I'm not Yazmeen, I will respond, since I have posted in this thread.

I think the choice of this "duet" (and, from what I have read on the Net elsewhere, it has been approved and indeed encouraged by the Crosby estate (and I have my own feelings on that)) was ill-advised for Clay. I agree that letting him sing any holiday songs except "Peace on Earth" or "White Christmas" (talk about disrespect to Bing Crosby) would have been in much better taste.

Well, while I respect and understand your views on this particular duet, I don't see how it disrespects Bing Crosby at all. Both Clay and David Bowie did fine jobs on these two pairings and I don't really see what the uproar is. Anyone else have an opinion here, or am I totally in left field? (It wouldn't be the first time)....42

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by show 42
    Well, while I respect and understand your views on this particular duet, I don't see how it disrespects Bing Crosby at all. Both Clay and David Bowie did fine jobs on these two pairings and I don't really see what the uproar is. Anyone else have an opinion here, or am I totally in left field? (It wouldn't be the first time)....42
    Don't get me wrong - you have every right to your own opinion.

I felt that whoever dreamed up the Crosby/Clay "duet" was, IMHO, extremely disrespectful to David Bowie.

The "White Christmas" comment, along with the comment on disrespecting Bing Crosby, was based on comments at other boards that Clay's "handlers" and Nick at Nite may have considered a "duet" involving BC and CA on that song - and that would have truly made me shudder if it had actually occurred.

my grandma doesn't like Clay at all ... saying he's "gay and can't sing" (at least she didn't say they go hand in hand ) so I can understand the feeling of disrespect for whomever... still I don't see why one singer should have the market of doing funky duets with someone... dead or not...

yeay Clay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2