Annual Costs For an Elite-level Figure Skater | Golden Skate

Annual Costs For an Elite-level Figure Skater

aftertherain

Record Breaker
From: [url]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2009-01-18-2848413646_x.htm[/URL]
Even skating's glitz and glamour has bottom line

"Expenses for an elite skater can run more than $60,000 a year. Besides coaching and costumes, many pay for ice time, a choreographer, a ballet coach and a massage therapist. Ice time can cost anywhere from about $135 an hour in the Midwest to as much as $350 an hour, though most elite skaters pay only a fraction of that."

According to this year-old article about Johnny Weir, expenses for an elite skater is about/more than $60,000 annually. Does anyone know if expenses vary widely from skater to skater or are they all in about the same range? And how much do national skating federations provide for skaters?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oh God, this thread is depressing.

It costs way too much, let me tell you. :cry:

euroskate

Final Flight
AFAIK federations are paying the cost for competitions (traveling of the Skater and Coach, sometimes hotel, when it´s not paid by the organizers). That´s about it.
It´s really a very expensive sport and only a very few skaters can really make a living with shows. Most of the skaters are just paying and paying and paying...

i am talking about the average federations of cours. I think top skaters in Japan and sometimes in russia get paid the coaches. China work´s totaly different - I think skaters there get everything. Top skaters in USA and CAN get some kind of funding, but it never pays everything.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
I wonder if there's a report on skaters' annual income? Do they only get paid via endorsements, sponsors and championship prizes? Do they get any sort of stipend or allowance from their federation once they reach a certain level?