Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Coming Close to the the GP Finals

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Two Bronze medals is pretty much never enough to make the GPF, unless someone ahead of you withdraws before the competition.
    Idk last year Tomas Verner was 1st alternate with a 2nd and 5th place finish and Johnny Weir qualified with a 4th and 2nd place finish and Jeremy qualified with a 5th and 1st place finish. Men can be pretty inconsistent in their placements early in the season and where there are so many withdrawals this season you never know what could happen. Also take into consideration that Adam was 3rd and 4th, Armin was 3rd but only has one event, and Jouby was 4th in China and has a tough event coming up in France. If Jouby is say 3rd at TEB then someone with a 3 and a 3 could make it.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Idk last year Tomas Verner was 1st alternate with a 2nd and 5th place finish and Johnny Weir qualified with a 4th and 2nd place finish and Jeremy qualified with a 5th and 1st place finish. Men can be pretty inconsistent in their placements early in the season and where there are so many withdrawals this season you never know what could happen. Also take into consideration that Adam was 3rd and 4th, Armin was 3rd but only has one event, and Jouby was 4th in China and has a tough event coming up in France. If Jouby is say 3rd at TEB then someone with a 3 and a 3 could make it.
    Happy to see someone interested in the Men's Division. After 4 comps, we have:

Dai, the only sure one to make the Finals.

Nobi, with two silver medals (not unlike Rachael) will have to watch Chan and Kozuka both of whom also have 15 each and are in two different comps for their second. Nobi will battle it out with Abbott and Mroz. What we have now is:

1. Dai, already in GPF

2. Chan (15 pts.) Russia
    3. Kozuka (15 pts.) France
    4. Abbott (13 pts.) Russia
    5. Mroz (13 pts.) France
    6. Verner (11 pts.) Russia
    7. Amodio (11 pts.) France
    8. Reynolds (9 pts.) France
    9. Joubert (9 pts.) France
    10. Hanyu (9 pts.) France

I believe with luck, all of them have a chance at being in the GPF, but 4 of them won't make it. Your guess, is as good as mine.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I don't think Reynolds and Hanyu really have a chance. If they could only finish 4th in their home events, I doubt they will do well enough in France/Russia (Hanyu will be competing in Russia rather than France, btw, Joe). I predict that Mroz is off the podium in France as well and out of the GPF.

Joubert will rally to win in France and make the GPF. Kozuka will come 2nd and also make the GPF. Amodio will come 3rd and miss out.

In Russia, Patrick Chan will win and make the GPF. Jeremy Abbott will place 2nd and make the GPF. Tomas Verner will place 3rd and miss out.

Amodio and Verner will both have two Bronzes and yet they will both miss the GPF. Two Bronzes just isn't enough. The only way one of them makes it to the GPF like that is if Abbott is less than 4th in Russia (unlikely) or Joubert is lower than 2nd in France (possible, but I doubt it...Joubert skates best in these kinds of situations where he is trying to regain his reputation).

Custom Title
    I don't know if this is a reflection on me or not but is it bad that I always look at "Reynolds" whenever it appears in a post and go, "Hmm. Who's that again?"

Custom Title
    I don't think Reynolds and Hanyu really have a chance. If they could only finish 4th in their home events, I doubt they will do well enough in France/Russia (Hanyu will be competing in Russia rather than France, btw, Joe). I predict that Mroz is off the podium in France as well and out of the GPF.

Joubert will rally to win in France and make the GPF. Kozuka will come 2nd and also make the GPF. Amodio will come 3rd and miss out.

In Russia, Patrick Chan will win and make the GPF. Jeremy Abbott will place 2nd and make the GPF. Tomas Verner will place 3rd and miss out.

Amodio and Verner will both have two Bronzes and yet they will both miss the GPF. Two Bronzes just isn't enough. The only way one of them makes it to the GPF like that is if Abbott is less than 4th in Russia (unlikely) or Joubert is lower than 2nd in France (possible, but I doubt it...Joubert skates best in these kinds of situations where he is trying to regain his reputation).
    Seeing how Kozuka clobbered a pretty well skating Joubert at CoC I'm not sure Joubert winning TEB is going to happen, he'll have to really skate well.

As for COR, I'm not convinced Abbott will beat Verner, they always get very similar PCS and at their first events they put up nearly identical scores. To me it's a toss up as to who will best the other in Russia, and considering they both are inconsistent, there's a chance neither will end up on the podium. Also, if Chan pulls a SC again I'm not sure he'll be able to win if Abbott and/or Verner skate well.

Also, re Verner and Amodio, if they both place 2nd at their next event, which is definitely possible, then they likely will both make the GPF, right? Or is a bronze and a silver still not enough?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Seeing how Kozuka clobbered a pretty well skating Joubert at CoC I'm not sure Joubert winning TEB is going to happen, he'll have to really skate well.

As for COR, I'm not convinced Abbott will beat Verner, they always get very similar PCS and at their first events they put up nearly identical scores. To me it's a toss up as to who will best the other in Russia, and considering they both are inconsistent, there's a chance neither will end up on the podium. Also, if Chan pulls a SC again I'm not sure he'll be able to win if Abbott and/or Verner skate well.

Also, re Verner and Amodio, if they both place 2nd at their next event, which is definitely possible, then they likely will both make the GPF, right? Or is a bronze and a silver still not enough?
    If Jouby wins TEB, Amodio silver, Kozuka bronze
    and Abbot wins Russia, Verner silver, Chan bronze

then:
    1. Dai
    2. Kozuka
    3. Chan
    4. Oda
    5. Jouby
    6. Abbot

both Tomas and Amodio will miss the GPF with a bronze and a silver.

The opinions are there ^^^, and why not? However, the Slippery Sport rule applies.

Spunky Reynolds will hit his quads, and successfully skate clean. Will it matter with little reputation?

Jovial Joubert will impress his home town with solid Quads, and be himself. Will it be enough?

Danseur Hanyu will audition for the Paris Opera Ballet, but will he be ignored in TEB?

It ain't over till it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Danseur Hanyu will audition for the Paris Opera Ballet, but will he be ignored in TEB?
    Considered he's competing in Russia and not France, yes, I think so.

Considered he's competing in Russia and not France, yes, I think so.
    Blades - I'm sorry for putting Hanyu in the wrong venue. When I take time to do something carefully, there is always something else, like ringing phones, buzzes from the doorman, or late for appointments making me careless. But then, I don't admit to being perfect, just highly opinionated.

LOL, I wasn't criticizing you!

I think that's the first time I've seen you use an eye-roll emoticon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3