Glen Campbell - In "Hot Water!" | Golden Skate

Glen Campbell - In "Hot Water!"

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Singer Campbell Apologizes After Arrest
By BETH DeFALCO

PHOENIX (AP) - Singer Glen Campbell apologized Tuesday after his arrest on suspicion of drunken driving, hit and run, and assaulting a police officer.

``Yesterday I was arrested and put in jail. Even at my age, I learned a valuable lesson,'' Campbell said in a statement read to The Associated Press by a spokesman. ``I apologize to my wife, my family, my friends and my fans.''

The 67-year-old entertainer, whose hits include ``Rhinestone Cowboy,'' was freed early Tuesday on $2,000 bail.

The Delight, Ark., native was arrested Monday at his home after a collision at a Phoenix intersection, police Sgt. Randy Force said. No one was hurt, but a witness followed Campbell's car, called police and directed them to the home, Force said.

Breath tests showed Campbell had a blood-alcohol level of 0.20, according to court documents. The legal limit is 0.08 percent.

Police said Campbell had posted bail and was minutes from being released when he became angry and kneed Sgt. Bill Niles in the thigh, demanding to see the police chief.

Niles was not hurt. But Campbell was taken to jail and appeared in Superior Court just before midnight.

``There was a lot of, 'Do you know who I am? I'm Glen Campbell. ... I shouldn't be locked up like this,''' Niles said.

Court Commissioner Steve Kupiszewski placed Campbell on supervised release, requiring him to check in periodically with court monitors, who could test him for alcohol and drugs.

Campbell has acknowledged years of heavy drinking and drug use and told the AP in an interview in August that he had quit.

``Talk about a tool of the devil. That's one of them - drugs,'' Campbell said.

Campbell, who has lived in Arizona for 22 years and has no prior convictions, was hugely successful in the 1960s and early '70s with a string of hits on the pop and country charts, including ``Galveston,'' ``Gentle on My Mind,'' ``Wichita Lineman'' and the Grammy-winning ``By the Time I Get to Phoenix.''

Force said that while in jail, Campbell could be heard singing ``Rhinestone Cowboy.''

http://member.compuserve.com/fotosrch/4/20031125AZRD1.jpg

Looking pretty "rough around the edges.!"