Skating with the Stars - Anyone Going to Watch? | Golden Skate

Skating with the Stars - Anyone Going to Watch?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This is the first I have heard of this show. It is going to make its debut here in Canada on CTV next Monday. Is anyone here going to watch?

You mean the American show? I'll look into it, but I don't have a good feeling about it. I remember that "Skating with Celebrities" show that they had here a few years ago, and it wasn't really skating, not the way Canada's "Battle of the Blades" is. There are some lovely moments in "Battle of the Blades." The Russian shows along these lines are also very high quality. But I'll give it a chance, because you never know. Look how good "Dancing with the Stars" has become. And a lot of us have become fans not just of the celebrities on this show but also the pro dancers. As I say, you never know!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they announced the judges yesterday. Johnny Weir and Dick Button... and I can't remember the third judge.

We've been discussing this show on the Le Cafe thread.

gold12345

Medalist
There is going to be so little skating from these celebs (certainly not at the quality of the hockey players on the Canadian version) that I will be cringing through most of the show. Skating is an Olympic sport for a reason... people can't learn how to do it in a month like they may be able to with dancing. I thought ABC's "Thin Ice" skating competition was an awkward trainwreck, and that was with all actual skaters. I have no interest in watching Dick Button ramble on about celebs attempting to skate, but I'll probably watch anyway.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Of course I'll be watching.....wouldn't want to miss any Weir witticisms! Should be a hoot.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I thought ABC's "Thin Ice" skating competition was an awkward trainwreck, and that was with all actual skaters.

The big problem with Thin Ice was it was disorganized. The skaters were responsible for finding their own choreographers and practice time. There was no time specification on training. Skating with the Stars has a mandatory training time for the couples and the show has choreographers responsible for the routines.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sure - I will watch but don't have any expectations.
First, I am not familiar with some of these "stars" so it will be like watching regular people who can't skate very well. :biggrin:

Might be fun to see Dick and Johnny and hear some of the banter.
Thinking about it now - I wish they had followed the Canadian "Blades" format. So what if hockey players are not nearly as well known in USA as they are in Canada. Atleast they can skate and the idea of the rough and tough hockey players depending on their Lady partners to learn about figure skating seems like fun.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
If you look at Skating with the Stars as a skating competition, you'll hate it. If you look at it like entertainment, it might be decent.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Yes, this will be a disaster. There is no doubt about that. I'll still watch it though. ;)

I'm glad Uncle Dick is going to be on, but I'm not too happy about having to see Johnny Weir show after show. I know many people love Johnny, but I can't stand his personality off the ice.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yes I will watch, can't miss out on seeing two of my fav. people, Johnny W. and Uncle Dick.

When is the show airing?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
does anybody know who the Pro skaters are for Skating with the Stars?

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...the-Stars-show&p=525524&viewfull=1#post525524

There's a thread at Le Cafe too.

MrScroogeMcDuck said:
but I'm not too happy about having to see Johnny Weir show after show. I know many people love Johnny, but I can't stand his personality off the ice.
I love Johnny's skating but I agree I hope he shows some maturity and remembers that this is not the Johnny Weir hour.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
The show starts next Monday on ABC. The pro skaters are Fred Palasack, Ethan Burgess, Brooke Castile, Jennifer Wester, Keauna McLaughlin, and Denis Petukhov.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Who are the "stars"?

I hope they are better known than some of the skaters :p

Give me "Battle fo The Blades" worst show or season and it seems better.

Give me Katia and I will watch:)

Last edited: