Cup of Russia Short Dance Preview and Virtual Program: Friday, Nov. 19, 12:50 PM EST | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cup of Russia Short Dance Preview and Virtual Program: Friday, Nov. 19, 12:50 PM EST

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Pl. Name Nation TSS
= TES
+ PCS
+ SS TR PE CC IT Ded.
- StN.
1 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS 60.80 31.22 29.58 7.39 7.25 7.39 7.54 7.39 0.00 #5
2 Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI ITA 57.65 26.93 30.72 7.54 7.50 7.68 7.75 7.86 0.00 #8
3 Nora HOFFMANN / Maxim ZAVOZIN HUN 57.24 29.21 28.03 6.96 6.79 7.04 7.00 7.18 0.00 #6
4 Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitali BUTIKOV RUS 51.97 27.29 24.68 6.21 6.07 6.18 6.32 6.07 0.00 #4
5 Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL USA 50.59 26.21 24.38 6.18 6.11 6.00 6.11 6.07 0.00 #7
6 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 49.14 26.98 23.16 6.04 5.61 5.39 5.96 5.86 1.00 #2
7 Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE 48.45 24.86 23.59 5.89 5.71 5.93 6.00 5.93 0.00 #3
8 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 45.75 25.71 23.04 5.93 5.68 5.64 5.86 5.68 3.00 #1

Faiella had some significant tech problems still. BTW, much improved for H&Z.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You see, I love Tom Jones, i could listen to it all day long....

Just not that song that a domestically abusive murderer is singing after he has killed his girlfriend, which is why it is creepy to me too.

skatingbc

Final Flight
They didn't perform as well. She fell during the straight line step sequence, and presumably the two deductions were for overlong/illegal lifts.

M/Z got 57.24!!!

That's what I mean. They didn't perform as well here but they got essentially the same PCS as SC, where there is supposedly a huge bump for Canadian skaters!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Time to tone down the hype over P/I and I/K. These teams are very inexperienced in big competitions and can't live up to the expectations.
They should be here to learn how to compete on the senior tour

Yes, this is true.

But it is also true that both teams will do a lot better in the FD, I think.

Definitely congratulations are in order to Bobrova & Soloviev!

herios

Medalist
Just not that song that a domestically abusive murderer is singing after he has killed his girlfriend, which is why it is creepy to me too.
:biggrin:

Despite that, it made the list of the all time evergreen songs. Don't listen to the lyrics...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can't help listening, particularly when there is a dance team skating and I am wondering whether they mean to act out the storyline or not.

It would be better if I couldn't speak English and didn't understand the lyrics. The whole song is so cheery somehow as sung by Tom Jones. More creepy ness.

herios

Medalist
Yes, this is true.

But it is also true that both teams will do a lot better in the FD, I think.

Definitely congratulations are in order to Bobrova & Soloviev!

No question about that, they will fare a whole lot better in the FD, but in the off season, some people were talking about P/I as the next V/M...

Let's get serious, when did V/M compete that badly to finish at the bottom of any dance event? Probably not even at their first ever competition, never mind their first senior year in 2007. I/K did fairly well, considering the two major errors they had, however, diva attitude here or there, that won't keep you up in the standings.
What if I/K won't even make their podium at the nationals? It's possible, if they keep making such errors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No question about that, they will fare a whole lot better in the FD, but in the off season, some people were talking about P/I as the next V/M...

Let's get serious, when did V/M compete that badly to finish at the bottom of any dance event? Probably not even at their first ever competition, never mind their first senior year in 2007. I/K did fairly well, considering the two major errors they had, however, diva attitude here or there, that won't keep you up in the standings.
What if I/K won't even make their podium at the nationals? It's possible, if they keep making such errors.

I wonder whether Monko & Khaliavin are kicking themselves for not going senior this year. They are tearing up the junior circuit, particularly in the short dance. I wonder whether they would have an easier time than I/K with the Golden? They are not as exciting performers, but they are technically very sound, IMO.

As to P&I, I found the V&M comparisons a bit :confused: and certainly a bit early in the day to be making them. However, their FD marks at SC were 2nd place there, no getting around it, just excellent marks.

In their day, all V&M had to do at their senior debut was a Tango OD, AFAIR (which they did very, very well). They didn't have this Frankenstein short dance to deal with.

smia

Rinkside
I love Faiella/Scali's free dance but the short fell flat for me, maybe it's because they just don't look completely prepared yet.

Bobrova/Soloviev's short was really nice (if I ignore the lyrics). However, their free dance is monotonous and I just can't see them lasting with the number of talented junior teams in Russia...
Of the three Russian teams, Ilinykh/Katsalapov are by far my favorite. Very surprising to see them fall behind Gorshkova/Butikov but they'll surely move past them in the free. I'm not too worried about the mistakes, they'll learn from these experiences. And it's not like they're the only ones with falls (Davis/White, Crone/Poirier, Kerr/Kerr, Faiella/Scali (Cup of China), Shibutanis, Paul/Islam).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I & K may have lost more on the Golden and the botched lift than the fall, actually. I'll be interested to see the protocols.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you. Looks like the lift did it on the tech side. Shocked to find I got the levels right on the PBP :eek: I do the best I can, but ...

herios

Medalist
I wonder whether Monko & Khaliavin are kicking themselves for not going senior this year. They are tearing up the junior circuit, particularly in the short dance. I wonder whether they would have an easier time than I/K with the Golden? They are not as exciting performers, but they are technically very sound, IMO.

About Monko / Khaliavin, I wasn't watching what happened on the junior circuit last year, I just tuned in at the Worlds to see the outcome. After hearing the hype over I/K and checking out the results for the whole year, suddenly I became suspicious, how I/K trully measure up to M/K, when in fact the last two defeated I/K two times at the russian nationals and JGPF?
I am not quite sure in the long run which of the two teams will do better, for M/K sticking it out in the junior circuit one more year it could potentially work out better.
It definitely paved for V/M a better path, as they stayed in for one more year after losing to M/Z in 2005.
When they finally came on in 2007, they were very well prepared.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It will definitely be worth it to see how it works out!

Last year, I thought I&K definitely overmarked on their CDs, an area where M&K excelled.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I can't help listening, particularly when there is a dance team skating and I am wondering whether they mean to act out the storyline or not.

It would be better if I couldn't speak English and didn't understand the lyrics. The whole song is so cheery somehow as sung by Tom Jones. More creepy ness.

It's funny how happy they seem while skating to it. I'm guessing they didn't aim to act out the storyline.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
It's funny how happy they seem while skating to it. I'm guessing they didn't aim to act out the storyline.

Katia told in the interview that they decided not to act the storyline of the song, she is beautiful but a bit frivolous girl and he is a jealous man, but everything ends good and nobody kills no one ))

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Katia told in the interview that they decided not to act the storyline of the song, she is beautiful but a bit frivolous girl and he is a jealous man, but everything ends good and nobody kills no one ))

I wonder why they picked that song in the first place. It does have a good melody if you ignore the words, haha.

herios

Medalist
I wonder why they picked that song in the first place. It does have a good melody if you ignore the words, haha.

Now you got it. That is why. I attended some parties and we always had good time dancing to it, we just didn't listen to the lyrics. When you party and have fun, do you think you analyze what the singers are saying? Nope. The melody invites you to DANCE....