Men - Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

Layfan

Record Breaker
Geez. As a Chan fan, it would be so nice to seem him be in first after a clean program for once. At least the rest of his program was perfect and he recovered very well and quickly from the fall.

ETA: I LOVE IT that Chan is doing quads. HA! It's not that I give that much of a hoot about the quad but at least Chan detractors can shut up about that now. :biggrin:

I agree with Jeremy's weird slo-mo spin right before the footwork sequence. Jeremy looks ridiculous in that costume and it makes it difficult for me to concentrate on anything else. :disapp:

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Jeremy looks ridiculous in that costume and it makes it difficult for me to concentrate on anything else. :disapp:

Jeremy sported at least 3 different costumes before settling for the fourth one on his LP last year. Can't he try on different one this time too? Anyone who is in Jeremy's camp and reading on GS?;)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In fairness to some Chan dectractors (gmyers, for example), they seem genuinely excited that he's going for and landing quads this season. They're also rightfully concerned about the 3A bugaboo, though

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I refuse to watch anymore mens skating for atleast a whole season. The corrupt judging in favor of Chan has turned me off completely. I have never seen such a disgrace in my life.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I refuse to watch anymore mens skating for atleast a whole season. The corrupt judging in favor of Chan has turned me off completely. I have never seen such a disgrace in my life.

:laugh: Well, hope you'll feel better after this season of absence from men's skating.

I won't. Men's skating standard is so high this season, technically and artistically. I won't miss any of these excitement.

Layfan

Record Breaker
In fairness to some Chan dectractors (gmyers, for example), they seem genuinely excited that he's going for and landing quads this season. They're also rightfully concerned about the 3A bugaboo, though

I know. I was being purposefully gleeful. Chan dug his own whole with fans last year by being obnoxious about the quad. I personally don't really care - he might or might not be a cool person to be around but it doesn't really matter to me because I don't have to be his friend. I just have to enjoy his skating, which I do.

The thing is what Chan has is hard to teach and some of the quad guys will never have it. And now Chan has a 4-3! Too bad about the 3a. Personally, I'd rather seen him get a consistent 3a than a quad but it is exciting to see him do a quad.

Jeremy and Patrick are both two of my favorites. I think clean-quad-Patrick is harder to beat than clean-quad Jeremy. But good luck to both tomorrow.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
:laugh: Well, hope you'll feel better after this season of absence from men's skating.

I won't. Men's skating standard is so high this season, technically and artistically. I won't miss any of these excitement.

Yeah Chan allowed to win Worlds with 5 falls even if everyone else skates cleanly. So exciting. :rolleye: You must also find aired competitions of bridge or solitaire tournaments or reruns of General Hospital from the 60 exciting. Most of all I will enjoy watching the other 3 disciplines where there is an actual COMPETITION, not a coronation for one skater who doesnt even have to show up or do anything to win, but could merely sit on the ice and take a dump and still be given the gold medal each time. If I was Chan I would take a nice trip to Bermuda during his next event. Why waste time actually going, just have the gold medal mailed to you.

And no the standard is not high at all. There are only 3 former World medalists in the entire field and one is a aging past his prime skater who shoudl retire very soon. It is one of the worst fields in history in addition to the corrupt Chan mania judging.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yeah Chan allowed to win Worlds with 5 falls even if everyone else skates cleanly. So exciting. :rolleye: You must also find aired competitions of ladies bridge or reruns of General Hospital from the 60 exciting. Most of all I will enjoy watching the other 3 disciplines where there is an actual COMPETITION, not a coronation for one skater who doesnt even have to show up or do anything to win, but could merely sit on the ice and take a dump and still be given the gold medal each time.

And no the standard is not high at all. There are only 3 former World medalists in the entire field, it is one of the worst fields in history in addition to the corrupt Chan mania judging.

When did Chan fall 5 times and win Worlds? It's in your mind, not the reality. Believe me, I pissed off on Chan's SC win too, as I pissed off on Joubert's loss in CoC. But this time, I think it was a right placement that Chan won the SP and Abbott was second. Whatelse can you pinpoint besides a fall on 3A that indicated that Chan didn't do enough? Abbott didn't even try a quad in SP, but Chan did a text book perfect 4t-3t. I think if reversed the result and gave Abbott first and Chan second, that would be weird this time.

Chan couldn't and didn't sit there and wait for the "coronation", even if the judges wanted to give him the crown. He delivered, gutsy, and amazing.

HAHA, Who is a former World medalist but not here? Lysacek? Weir? Buttle? Lambiel is absent and yes, he could probably remain the standard high, and Plushenko could too. But Lambiel was not on par the last whole season. And Plushenko was struggling with his knees and didn't reach his potential either. Lysacek and Weir? They were a generation behind on almost everything I would say, even Buttle. I was very glad to say good-bye at least to Lysacek and Weir and welcome the new generation of Abbott, Chan, Kozuka, and happily still having Takahashi and Oda around.

PS: I have never watched ladie's bridge and stopped watching any kinds of soap operas nearly 20 years ago. Just saying.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Chan in no way deserves to be 3 and a half points higher in TES than a clean Abbott with a fall on a triple axel. A quad vs no quad alone in no way justifies that. Given his past scores especialy recently I am sure he received ridiculously inflated GOE on his jumps and many other elements. And his PCS should not be almost half a point higher per component even with a fall over other top skaters skating cleanly. So no his scores nor really his placement were justified. He should be 3rd or at best barely in 1st. Ahead by 4 and a half point, ROTFL!

Chan could fall 5 times and win Worlds. It is already set up. The message is already out- just show up Chan, we dont care what you do, every gold medal until 2014 is arleady bought and payed for. Whether he chooses to fall 5 times or not knowing he it wont matter remains to be seen. I wont care since I wont waste my time watching it. I will be enjoying watching actual skating competition taking place in pairs, dance, and ladies, and spending my time doing Chan worshiping sessions (aka so called mens singles) doing something more worthwhile with my time.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I really like Chan´s sp very much. The fall was unfortunate, but he was up so quickly, that it did not spoil the entity. WOW, how the guy moves on the ice...., it´s so awesome..

I also like the skating of Abbott and Verner very much, but there is a difference compared to Chan, and not to their advantage, I would say. Where did Abbott get that costume, a Russian design, perhaps???

Hikaru

Final Flight
Utterly ridiculous! See, he is over-scored everywhere, not just in Canada!

Suddenly I got an Evita!Soundtrack flashback:

"There you are! I told you so!
Makes no difference were he goes
The whole world scratches their heads
As the judges over-score him yet again
Now who will not dare to critizise
these ludicrous scores now?"

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Chan in no way deserves to be 3 and a half points higher in TES than a clean Abbott with a fall on a triple axel. A quad vs no quad alone in no way justifies that. Given his past scores especialy recently I am sure he received ridiculously inflated GOE on his jumps and many other elements. And his PCS should not be almost half a point higher per component even with a fall over other top skaters skating cleanly. So no his scores nor really his placement were justified. He should be 3rd or at best barely in 1st. Ahead by 4 and a half point, ROTFL!

Chan could fall 5 times and win Worlds. It is already set up. The message is already out- just show up Chan, we dont care what you do, every gold medal until 2014 is arleady bought and payed for. Whether he chooses to fall 5 times or not knowing he it wont matter remains to be seen.

I can't believe that I am defending Chan. But have you actually watched their SP? I can't find any thing bad to say about Chan's Jumps, spins, anything other than a fall on 3A which, as someone have already said in this thread, would take -3 GOE and -1 deduction, and possibly lost 3 points GOE that he might otherwise get. So that's 7 points off. He did rotated enough to get 3A credit. Abbott's jumps were not perfect if you consider the GOEs. His 3t after 3f was tilted. At least he won't have full credit on GOE. (I haven't seen the protocols yet.) Also, his slow downed spin should have been taken off some points. I don't know exactly how much Chan and Abbott should get, but the placement was correct.

I wont care since I wont waste my time watching it. I will be enjoying watching actual skating competition taking place in pairs, dance, and ladies, and spending my time doing Chan worshiping sessions (aka so called mens singles) doing something more worthwhile with my time.

Ok, enjoy the season!

Last edited:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
People, people, are you so quick to forget a guy just because he competed as long ago as last week? If Patrick Chan falls five times at Worlds, he may still win silver, but he will lose-to Daisuke Takahashi. He's getting scored ridiculously high too. These are the guys who manipulate the code shamelessly, and that is why they outscore everyone so much.

I admit, a two-horse race is more boring than the drama we had last quadrennium, but hey, Evan could always come back; a guy who code-spun his way to Olympic gold will always be a contender.

ranjake

Final Flight
Excuse me for being 'tardy to the party', just watching now on Universal sports. Abbott- loved the program, think it can develop into really something. I love his transitions; great skating, gorgeous guy. Here's my question- who authorized that costume??!!! Ugh, the worst ever- completely distracting. I really hope for a costume change- STAT.

I don't know what I think of Chan's score. The quad combo and last triple were great, and the triple axel fall wasn't as jarring to the program in my eyes as the falls at skate canada. I can see his skating skills, but I don't love the program. I've enjoyed other programs of his far more.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
other than a fall on 3A which, as someone have already said in this thread, would take -3 GOE and -1 deduction, and possibly lost 3 points GOE that he might otherwise get.

The fact you are suggesting his triple axel which is just an average jump even when he lands it (not that there are many occasions he does) would possibly get +3 in GOE had he landed it cleanly already says enough. :laugh: Nice to admit to the fraud scoring, even while supposably defending it.

Well, I love that Chan now thinks quads are super-important and cool, and make it much more difficult to get through the rest of the program. And that all skaters should do them and shame on those who don't do one in the SP... I like this because 1. Chan does the real talking on the ice this time and 2. he's willing to admit he was wrong about the quad in the past.

I don't remember Patrick ever saying he was wrong about anything. When he had good blade-work but no quad, quads were over-rated and guys like Plushenko and Joubert were laughable imposters.

Now that he has a quad, quads are king and everyone who doesn't do one in the SP -- like Takahashi -- is a wimp and a twerp.

Oh well, that's my boy. :)

As to the skating, I do think that Chan has a "one-fall advantage" over Abbott, and maybe a two-fall advantage over Verner, at least in the Program Components. He is just a better skater (IMHO).

seniorita

Record Breaker
I watched SA two days before and I have all recent and fresh, now I finished the men sp in Cor, the difference between Taka and Chan is the performance factor, Takahashi is a rockstar, he doesnt mind ruining his image, his hair, his facial expression. He is an entertainer, his sp is all kinds of showy! Chan looks still comme il faut but it is maybe cause of age. I wish he could change the college boy costumes and aura always. But his quad triple in sp was jaw dropping, wow! About the marks I m puzzeld this year so I dont know, it seemed ok this time although if he had landed the axel he would have 10 point or more lead? I mind the sp falls A LOT, maybe it should have been a diffrent factor about losing a required element in sp, but as we have already said sp seems like a mini Lp now so anyway.
Abott this time I didnt like him, he looks scared and not confident much, I like his Lp much more. Tomas coming back from last year like he does is awesome! I hope he gets on Euros podium, this program he has just flies by so fast! Love the blue on him!
Hanyu is probably not having the break out season but he is lovely and I m :love: