Ladies - Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Layfan

Record Breaker
Miki won a gp so something good is happening for her but she isn't getting the scores that she use to. If she skates good enough she will probably be on the stand. She's more consistent than anyone there really. However I don't think she skates with the interest that she use to. She certainly isn't given the programs to vault to the top in the short program. I don't know why Miki accepts the programs that NM presents to her.

She seems a bit lost. However, good point about her being more consistent that the others in this competition. Since she hasn't been particularly consistent for months now, I didn't really think of it that way. But you are right. Akiko and Ashley are even less consistent. Ksenia and Agnes - it's a bit hard to judge as this is their first senior season so I have to give them a pass for not knocking every performance out of the park. They're not the favorites. Miki is. Or should be.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I bet only one person in the top 3 medals and it will be Suzuki. Ando will medal. Bet Makarova does well.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I bet only one person in the top 3 medals and it will be Suzuki. Ando will medal. Bet Makarova does well.

I had similar thoughts ... but too cowardly to make bets. However if most of these girls skate clean, that's the way I think it will go too. Oh what the heck. Just for fun:

1. Akiko
2. Ando
3. Ksenia

but go Ashely and Agnes -prove me wrong!!

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
If Agnes has a pretty good long she will medal. I think she is more likely to medal than Ashley.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I am very impressed with BIRYUKOVA. But she usually bombs her LP. Hopefully this time will be different.

I really enjoyed her skating also. Both my daughter and I thought she had beautiful arms. Her triple triple was gorgeous as well.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I really enjoyed her skating also. Both my daughter and I thought she had beautiful arms. Her triple triple was gorgeous as well.

The girl is really beautiful. She has gorgeous lines, posture and arms, also very good basics and maybe the best jump technique there. I wish she will skate like this tomorrow too!
And I'm a big fan of her coach, congrats to Viktoria! She retired only 3 years ago and already has very nice stidents

skatefancan

Rinkside
Im surprised by some of the placements as well!

I thought Myriane skated beautifully. Very strong. And a stronger Combo! Glad she beat her SkateCanada mark...but still not high enough i think.

Thoughts?

Also Ashley being placed so high? I do think a jump should be fully rotated...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
She got full credit for her 3F-3T and I found it strange, cause it was obviously underrotated. She got "e" for her lutz

Me too. I thought it was two footed.

Congrats to Akiko, Agnes and Ashley.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker

The girl is really beautiful. She has gorgeous lines, posture and arms, also very good basics and maybe the best jump technique there. I wish she will skate like this tomorrow too!
And I'm a big fan of her coach, congrats to Viktoria! She retired only 3 years ago and already has very nice stidents

I'm impressed with Volchkova's coaching abilities so far - her students (I'm thinking Korobeynikova & Biryukova, don't think I've seen others) are very musical, elegant and polished. She's doing a wonderful job with them.

I'm glad she had a great skate here, hope she keeps it up tomorrrow.

Trewyn

Medalist
Does two-footing a jump automatically mean it's underrotated by more than a quarter turn? I know two-footing is a bad habit of Ashley's; it bugs me because it's so visible a mistake! But I'm glad she got full credit for the triple-triple (even though I agree it looked clearly two-footed) because I feel like she needed some encouragement to go for that combination in competition. I hope she'll go for it again tomorrow!!! I'd love it if Akiko and Ashley both manage to remain in podium positions in the FS. That would make me a blissfully happy skating fan :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if anyone else noticed that Miki had a bandage on her back. I heard that she had had a collision in practice (not sure when that happened) and she was having pain.

Most promising skater I saw in Rostel, was Sofia BURYUKOVA!!! Leonova, a speedy skater was just so lost with the Tempo of that cooky music she used. Miki has balon, a ballet term where a dancer jumps in the air and does not come down immediately. She'll make it all up in the LP. Ashley looking good but her previous 7pts will keep her from the Finals. Makarova was disappointing but Suzuki met the challenge.

Anxious to see Sofia again and check out the stamina for the additional minute.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Most promising skater I saw in Rostel, was Sofia BURYUKOVA!!! Leonova, a speedy skater was just so lost with the Tempo of that cooky music she used. Miki has balon, a ballet term where a dancer jumps in the air and does not come down immediately. She'll make it all up in the LP. Ashley looking good but her previous 7pts will keep her from the Finals. Makarova was disappointing but Suzuki met the challenge.

Anxious to see Sofia again and check out the stamina for the additional minute.

I'd never even seen Sofia before! I was like who the heck is this?! lol

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, Sofia doesn't exactly have a great competition track record.

At 2010 Russian Nationals, she won the SP with a score of 62.97, then folded in the FS, finishing 7th in that segment of the competition and was 6th overall. This season, she was 7th of 10 at Finlandia with a total 124.32, and 6th at Coupe de Nice with 134.97. IMO, it's more likely for Makarova to move up than for Biryukova to hold onto her placement.

oleada

Record Breaker

She had a decent, if not great, FS at the Russian Cup in Kazan - landed a gorgeous 2A+3T.

But I do agree that she's better in the SP than in the FS. However, I wish more skaters had her musicality and upper body and arm movement.

It doesn't look like Leonova will have a guaranteed Europeans spot anymore....she'll really have to fight for it. And next year, it'll be even tougher!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looks to me as if Leonova is having a confidence crisis, having to compete head-to-head with Makarova (and coming up short) and becoming more and more aware of a crowd of younger skaters making big waves at the junior level. She was doing so well when she was the #1 Russian lady, but now she's finding the ice very, very slippery.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I don't know if anyone else noticed that Miki had a bandage on her back. I heard that she had had a collision in practice (not sure when that happened) and she was having pain.

I re-watched her SP on YouTube and also noticed the bandage. Maybe that explains why she looked so tired. I hope she's okay. Go Miki!

:yay: