Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program

Custom Title
    Does two-footing a jump automatically mean it's underrotated by more than a quarter turn? I know two-footing is a bad habit of Ashley's; it bugs me because it's so visible a mistake! But I'm glad she got full credit for the triple-triple (even though I agree it looked clearly two-footed) because I feel like she needed some encouragement to go for that combination in competition. I hope she'll go for it again tomorrow!!! I'd love it if Akiko and Ashley both manage to remain in podium positions in the FS. That would make me a blissfully happy skating fan

Custom Title
    I don't know if anyone else noticed that Miki had a bandage on her back. I heard that she had had a collision in practice (not sure when that happened) and she was having pain.

Most promising skater I saw in Rostel, was Sofia BURYUKOVA!!! Leonova, a speedy skater was just so lost with the Tempo of that cooky music she used. Miki has balon, a ballet term where a dancer jumps in the air and does not come down immediately. She'll make it all up in the LP. Ashley looking good but her previous 7pts will keep her from the Finals. Makarova was disappointing but Suzuki met the challenge.

Anxious to see Sofia again and check out the stamina for the additional minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Most promising skater I saw in Rostel, was Sofia BURYUKOVA!!! Leonova, a speedy skater was just so lost with the Tempo of that cooky music she used. Miki has balon, a ballet term where a dancer jumps in the air and does not come down immediately. She'll make it all up in the LP. Ashley looking good but her previous 7pts will keep her from the Finals. Makarova was disappointing but Suzuki met the challenge.

Anxious to see Sofia again and check out the stamina for the additional minute.
    I'd never even seen Sofia before! I was like who the heck is this?! lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'd never even seen Sofia before! I was like who the heck is this?! lol
    One of the Russian wonderbabies Next year there will be much more of them at the Grand Prix...

Custom Title
    Unfortunately, Sofia doesn't exactly have a great competition track record.

At 2010 Russian Nationals, she won the SP with a score of 62.97, then folded in the FS, finishing 7th in that segment of the competition and was 6th overall. This season, she was 7th of 10 at Finlandia with a total 124.32, and 6th at Coupe de Nice with 134.97. IMO, it's more likely for Makarova to move up than for Biryukova to hold onto her placement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsk8fan View Post
    I really enjoyed her skating also. Both my daughter and I thought she had beautiful arms. Her triple triple was gorgeous as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    The girl is really beautiful. She has gorgeous lines, posture and arms, also very good basics and maybe the best jump technique there. I wish she will skate like this tomorrow too!
    And I'm a big fan of her coach, congrats to Viktoria! She retired only 3 years ago and already has very nice stidents
    She had a decent, if not great, FS at the Russian Cup in Kazan - landed a gorgeous 2A+3T.

But I do agree that she's better in the SP than in the FS. However, I wish more skaters had her musicality and upper body and arm movement.

It doesn't look like Leonova will have a guaranteed Europeans spot anymore....she'll really have to fight for it. And next year, it'll be even tougher!

Custom Title
    It looks to me as if Leonova is having a confidence crisis, having to compete head-to-head with Makarova (and coming up short) and becoming more and more aware of a crowd of younger skaters making big waves at the junior level. She was doing so well when she was the #1 Russian lady, but now she's finding the ice very, very slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I don't know if anyone else noticed that Miki had a bandage on her back. I heard that she had had a collision in practice (not sure when that happened) and she was having pain.
    I re-watched her SP on YouTube and also noticed the bandage. Maybe that explains why she looked so tired. I hope she's okay. Go Miki!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Does two-footing a jump automatically mean it's underrotated by more than a quarter turn? I know two-footing is a bad habit of Ashley's; it bugs me because it's so visible a mistake! But I'm glad she got full credit for the triple-triple (even though I agree it looked clearly two-footed) because I feel like she needed some encouragement to go for that combination in competition.
    According to the protocol posted by Kutien below, Ashley got credit for rotating the 3/3, but she got -GOE for the doublefooting on the combo.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Anybody have a link to Ashley? Good for her for trying and rotating the 3-3. She has problems with two-foot landings which obviously detracts but at least it's not as costly as a UR.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Anybody have a link to Ashley? Good for her for trying and rotating the 3-3. She has problems with two-foot landings which obviously detracts but at least it's not as costly as a UR.
    Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Volmg0n3lJE

Custom Title
    Ashley has a new short program dress? It looked great but I wonder why she changed it..

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    ^ Thanks! Ashley looked lovely. I wonder if that is her costume for the season or it's a place holder. It's so simple but she looked gorgeous in it.

Ashley's not a pretzel but she really has very nice extension and I always love the way she holds out her moves. I'm glad to hear she was pleased with that performance and I hope she does well tomorrow.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast