Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pairs - Short Program

Custom Title
    The pair from Japan: side by side 3S not quite in synch(maybe hers was UR?), good double twist, good throw 3T. Nice program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    American pair: good 3twist, side by side 3T OK, good throw 3L. Should go into first place

Nope, second place. Strange
    Russian commentator said their 3T were underrotated

Custom Title
    American pair: good 3twist, side by side 3T OK, good throw 3L. Should go into first place

Nope, second place. Strange
    This was a big injustice. Amanda and Mark are a better pair than Gerboldt/Enbert in every way. Should have been several points HIGHER. Or if E/L scores are acceptable, G/E's should have been lower. They had some mistakes and a pretty blah schmaltzy program. Maybe not strange--easily explained by Russian home field bonus.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 11-19-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Custom Title
    Kawaguti/Smirnov: side by side 3T, tight landing from her, beautiful throw 3L, good 3twist. This program has potential.

Well, 61 with no big mistakes...I expected a bit more to be honest
    Last edited by Mirunna; 11-19-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Custom Title
    Kawaguti/Smirnov: side by side 3T, tight landing from her, beautiful throw 3L, good 3twist. This program has potential.

Well, not a whole lot. This program doesn't stand a chance against Pang / Tong or Savchenko / Szolkowy's if those are clean.

Custom Title
    She was injured, the program was not polished, they were slow and tentative, but there were some nice moves there. I say, give them some time. Last season they had a mediocre GP showing, placing below Mukhortova/Trankov at the GPF but then they took the European title.

Custom Title
    Competently done, and I'm sure they can keep making improvements, but this music is almost too big to skate to. I'm not getting into the mood with this vehicle. I also think it's not going to help them against the other top 2-3 pairs.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    This was a big injustice. Amanda and Mark are a better pair than Gerboldt/Enbert in every way. Should have been several points HIGHER. Or if E/L scores are acceptable, G/E's should have been lower. They had some mistakes and a pretty blah schmaltzy program. Maybe not strange--easily explained by Russian home field bonus.
    What home field bonus? Gerboldt/Enbert got 54.10 points in France at Coupe de Nice with a FALL. In Russia they appear to have been cleaner yet received a slightly lower score. So if anything, G/E got a home ice deduction.
    http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/im...tml/SEG011.HTM

Custom Title
    ^ Now now, you know you can't compare scores across competitions easily--different panels/judges and all that. Perhaps more important than the home field bonus is the Moskvina coaching bonus.

Custom Title
    Maybe it was my feed, but Yuko Kavaguti looks skinnier than ever, which is scary because she was already too thin. She has good stretch on some of her moves, but the extreme skinniness wrecks it for me completely.

Their triple twist has poor technique and had a collision, she barely held on to the 3T, and the throw triple loop wasn't landed that great, but compared to the overall weakness of the field, first place seems justified. I like their music somewhat... it's different.

Mark Ladwig seemed off on the SBS spins and Amanda's SBS 3T may have been underrotated... That may have put them behind G&E.

Medalist
    Sure, there are different judging panels but at the end of the day, they got higher in France with a fall than they did with a cleaner program in Russia. So what are you basing your bonus theory on?

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    I am SOOOO happy Amanda & Mark skated clean! That's held them back in the past (skating bad in the SP) so for them to finally be skating clean short programs...wow, that's going to really help them a lot. I read somewhere else that they may have not gotten some levels on their elements (along with the downgrade on the triple toe) so if they can fix that for US Nats, they'll be in great shape and I'm sure Jim Peterson is all ready looking at it. They usually do that sort of thing during their summer competitions but they only did one of those this year due to the longer season last year. Skating clean here is a great first step though and hopefully they can skate great tomorrow and sneak in there for a medal! That would be AWESOME.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    Mark Ladwig seemed off on the SBS spins and Amanda's SBS 3T may have been underrotated... That may have put them behind G&E.
    Yes, they got -GOE for SBS spin and their 3T got "<" (that's what commentator said, he saw protocols).

G/E did clean throw 3F after all. Beautiful couple! I like them and their program so much! So light and positive, good job! Can't believe she is skating in pairs only several months

Also, the difference between 4th and 3rd is about a point. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think the key thing, as everyone said, that E/L skated clean (albeit imperfet). I expect better things for them in the LP, that seems to be where they shine.

Custom Title
    I liked G/E too, they are a beautiful couple. They need to work on their triple twist though or stop trying it for now in competition, she can get hurt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast