Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Final Battle for the GPF

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Well, you have to remember that Mirai's 3Lz-3T was downgraded too, but I think Mao might still have won because of 3A's new base value.
    She would have because the 3A rule also opens another opening for a jump. The reason why Mirai was able to edge Mao last season was due to the fact that with a downgraded 3A, Mao essentially had only one triple in her SP, while Mirai with a downgraded 3-3, still had two triples.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised if Mao's Triple Axel never gets ratified ever again. She spent her entire Olympic season focusing on the Triple Axel and even after that, with all of the emotion of the Olympics pushing her on, her Triple Axels were still not as good as they were 3-4 years ago. Her body is getting more worn out and her focus is also on things other than the Triple Axel these days. That's my predication for now - her 3Axel is always going to be downgraded from now on. If she can still land it cleanly the jump will be worth keeping in her repertoire, but if she continually has problems with the landing we will see her drop it from her programs a couple seasons from now.

I would like to see Kevin Reynolds win. I have criticized his skating in the past but he has made a lot of improvements this season, and his quads are fantastic. We know he can put up a huge score in the SP, he just needs to keep it together in the long.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 11-23-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Mao's Triple Axel never gets ratified ever again. She spent her entire Olympic season focusing on the Triple Axel and even after that, with all of the emotion of the Olympics pushing her on, her Triple Axels were still not as good as they were 3-4 years ago. Her body is getting more worn out and her focus is also on things other than the Triple Axel these days. That's my predication for now - her 3Axel is always going to be downgraded from now on. If she can still land it cleanly the jump will be worth keeping in her repertoire, but if she continually has problems with the landing we will see her drop it from her programs a couple seasons from now.
    I think she should drop it for now and just focus on fixing her other jumps.

TEB may just produce the largest TIE in Figure Skating history expecially in the Ladies Division. The Finalists from that TIE will be based on one of the highest scores from the 5 other contests. Problem is the scores from the 5 other contests are arrived at unequally. Not really a good TIE breaker. Skaters who tie, should have another contest to break the tie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I think alot will depend on whether Yu Na Kim continues to 2014. Mao has no hope against a good Kim without the triple axel at this point, heck she cant even beat a clean Kim even with them (even if she also skates cleanly). However if Kim retires at some point she does not need it to beat the others. I also think she could improve her other jumps and the rest of her skating by dropping the triple axel, but I think alot will depend on if Kim is around or not. I think Yu Na Kim was the main reason for the triple axel obsession anyway.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I think alot will depend on whether Yu Na Kim continues to 2014. Mao has no hope against a good Kim without the triple axel at this point, heck she cant even beat a clean Kim even with them (even if she also skates cleanly). However if Kim retires at some point she does not need it to beat the others. I also think she could improve her other jumps and the rest of her skating by dropping the triple axel, but I think alot will depend on if Kim is around or not. I think Yu Na Kim was the main reason for the triple axel obsession anyway.
    I disagree. Mao's rival is not a skater Kim anymore. Beating the number "228.5" is her goal and motivation until Sochi. Her obsession on big jumps will not cease. In due course, she will face the Russian prodigies who are absolutely superior to Kim.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Lol. Mao is not pushed by any skater to do the triple axel. It's a jump she has being doing since she was like 12, so of course it's a special jump for her. But I disagree that she's obsessed with it or else she would not have started revamping her other jumps. She could have saved the risks by just continuing with her previous layouts.

Mao should be able to fall three times and still win. IMO she is every bit the skater Chan is - and for me a better artist.
    So I will be watching to see if the CoP rewards Mao for the same overall skating abilty they have been showering Chan with this season.

If not - then the ISU/CoP loses credibilty in my eyes. Let;s hope for some consisitent judging - even if it is wrong. Atleast we will get a feeling back as fans for how to rate the skaters.

Mao is such a beautiful skater and so much better than the others she should be able to fall on her 3A in the SP and fall 2-3 more times in her LP and still win.

Just the way Chan does.......

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Mao should be able to fall three times and still win. IMO she is every bit the skater Chan is - and for me a better artist.
    So I will be watching to see if the CoP rewards Mao for the same overall skating abilty they have been showering Chan with this season.

If not - then the ISU/CoP loses credibilty in my eyes. Let;s hope for some consisitent judging - even if it is wrong. Atleast we will get a feeling back as fans for how to rate the skaters.

Mao is such a beautiful skater and so much better than the others she should be able to fall on her 3A in the SP and fall 2-3 more times in her LP and still win.

Mao has never gotten the same treatment as Chan does from the judges. I recently saw an interview with Chan where he compared himself with Mao as a skater who can win from coming from behind. Seriously, Mao has never won a event by falling so much as Chan did at Canada.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Lol. Mao is not pushed by any skater to do the triple axel. It's a jump she has being doing since she was like 12, so of course it's a special jump for her. But I disagree that she's obsessed with it or else she would not have started revamping her other jumps. She could have saved the risks by just continuing with her previous layouts.
    She's obsessed with the score Kim got at the Olympics and so she's reworking her jumps to get +GOE. I think Mao should just flutz her way to another few titles. I don't know why she bothered to change the flip, reworked the flutz, etc... Flutz aren't as penalized as it was when she started fixing them. It used to be -2 to -3 GOE across the board for her at one point that a flutz was worth less than a toe. Now, -0 or -1.

The ISU is really screwing her. They changed the flutz rule when she was at her best, then changed it again after she reworked them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

Well, lets hope she doesn't UR, pop or skips jumps/combos, because that's what did her in at NHK, and what saves Chan is that he largely doesn't do all those things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I disagree. Mao's rival is not a skater Kim anymore. Beating the number "228.5" is her goal and motivation until Sochi. Her obsession on big jumps will not cease. In due course, she will face the Russian prodigies who are absolutely superior to Kim.
    I would wait until these Russian prodigies actually turn senior before declaring them "absolutely superior" to Yu Na Kim. That is mighty big proclamations to already make for girls who have not even competed as seniors yet.

As for Mao ever beating 228.5 all I have to say is good luck.

Custom Title
    It's funny to read some posts. Hey you have other ideas that can describe how much Yuna is/was a very talented skater.

I dunno, reading this thread reminds me how meaningless it is for Mirai to win TEB and advance to the final.
    It simply pales in comparison to skating well at Natls and earning a second shot at Worlds.

I feel the same way about Mao who most likely could care less about missing the GPF.
    Her hopes, unlike a few fans here is to peak at Worlds and for better or worse try and show her best skating of the year there.

Soon the GP season will be over - and the real season will start.
    I like the GP - and it is entertaining to see the skaters working their way into shape for the important events that follow.

What I look forward to is Worlds. Can Mao win a third WC? Can she get a step closer to Michelle and the other legends who won five WCs?

Or will Yuna show up and show she is still the best?

The GPF will be a battle bewtween second tier skaters. I will watch, will enjoy it - but won't make it more than what it is - a luck of the draw type of pre-$eason tournament.

Natls sets the stage for the most important event of the year - the WC.
    The Euros have a nice tournament with a long traditon leading into Worlds.

IMO 4CC should be abandoned and the Asians and N.Americans can choose to have their own Worlds tune-up = Asian Championship and N. American Championship.
    Last edited by janetfan; 11-24-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast