Cup of Russia FD Preview and Virtual Program, Sat. Nov. 20; 12:40 PM EST | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cup of Russia FD Preview and Virtual Program, Sat. Nov. 20; 12:40 PM EST

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Russia has three spots at Euros, and four teams to think about: B/S, I/K, R/T and K/A. K/A are obviously darkhorses. I/K is affected politically if things are "politics as usual," in my mind. K/A are new, but she's obviously a European and World medalist

2. While the new rules have the harder entries/lifts being practiced, I don't think this favours the newcomers as readily as others. For one thing, the rules have consistently been redefined to make things like step sequences harder, haven't they? 6.0 to COP was a change in mode of skating. Changing the rules within COP is refining so the advantage itself is minimized, imo.

3. As for the Golden Waltz? Again, where the newcomers lose out is not merely the presence of the GW (which all the newcomers have struggled with getting levels and skating well) but the fact that there's only two dances not three. With the CDs, we could count on the juniors being slotted low on the CDs, but having two dances to make up for that. VM at first worlds were 9th in the CD, 6th in the OD (7th overall now) and 6th in the FD (6th overall by the end) - D/W saw a similar rise. The question here is are we gonna see the newcomers decimating the old guys in TES like D/W and V/M did?

4. Top ten for Shibs or I/K? Plausible. Even assuming that everything gets righted with the Italian teams, that's still only 8 teams (C/P, C/L, D/W, P/B, K/K, F/S, B/S... and we can throw in V/M).

5. I/K can't make it to 4CC, colleen. European team and all that goes with it :D

6. I have to admit that I'm rather meh about ice dance without V/M - and on top of that, C/L and F/S are amongst my favourite teams, I was so looking forward to S/B's FD (could've been a masterpiece - Evan so has a Gene Kelly sparkle) and P/B (my bete noire) emerging as the top European candidate and plausibly challenging D/W for the Worlds crown has me depressed. And V/M missing out on worlds which could mean Canada loses three spots.... even more depressing.

7. Mirunna, I echo your opinion of P/I. They have precision and some elegance, but they really lack their own identity and personality on the ice. I'm hoping for them to develop it.

KKonas

Medalist
Re K/A speculation. They do plan on competing at Russian Nationals, but I doubt they will be No. 1, at least this season. When I saw them 3 months ago, they were still very much in the "getting to know each other" mode. He still was learning the GW. As Doris mentioned in another post, this may or may not be a help under the new rules if not burdened by previous outings of this dance. The height difference could present the biggest problem, but by this time they may have learned to deal with that. Jana is known for her flexibility and since he is a big guy, they will likely have great lifts. Not so sure about their technical aspect. Will be interesting to see where they place at Rus Nationals and if they make the European or World Team. If they are strong enough, the Rus Fed may split the teams - sending one team to Euros and one team to Worlds.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd like to see the Russian fed send a different 3rd place person to Worlds & Euros! I'd like to see another performance by the 4 top Russian teams this season and can't bear to think of any of them have their season end at Russian Nationals.

With P/I in the mix, you should not feel the loss of V/M so much-they so deliberately have that V/M vibe including Tessa's wide eyed young teen lady's style naive adoration face and nice extensions. OTOH I'm not crazy about any team being a reissued version of a previous team, even when they do it deliberately. Maybe especially when...

In fact, if V&M come back to competition, I'm looking forward to seeing them do their Latin dance, which is not in their usual "April Love is For the Very Young" style. Change is good, even if painful-I expect D&W, for example, to come through their plunge into the sexuality of tango to be good for them in the long run, even if these first 2 performances of it have been a bit rough.

One of the interesting things this year in dance has been the reemergence of the Shibutanis & Chock & Zuerlein. It's like their understudies were skating for them last year, and now they are back themselves. Chock's biggest pluses are they arrived at Skate Canada with 2 pretty good programs and a really good Golden Waltz, for their overall level of skill.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
doris, I agree. But P/I makes me miss V/M all the more. I want the real thing, not some junior version (insert disclaimer assuring people I'm aware that they have potential, that my view is unfair, etc).

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:Of course I/K can't make it to 4Cc..:laugh:That's what comes from thinking out loud while distracted..too bad Distraction is one of my middles names ... right after Obsession...reconfiguring my puzzle pieces.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
"I'd like to see the Russian fed send a different 3rd place person to Worlds & Euros! I'd like to see another performance by the 4 top Russian teams this season and can't bear to think of any of them have their season end at Russian Nationals."

Unfortunately Russia has only 2 spots for worlds. I believe the best 2 teams at the Europeans will go to worlds.(or the silver and gold medalists from nationals). I believe Bobrova/Soloviev are in, though, so the battle will be for the one spot remaining.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That is very sad, with so many talented teams there. It is too bad neither K&N nor D&S were in physical shape to make it to Worlds to secure the 3rd spot for the new kids.

Canada and the US may have the same problem this coming year, with S&B and V&M out. Although each country still has great teams, it's hard to get 13 or less points.

herios

Medalist
That is very sad, with so many talented teams there. It is too bad neither K&N nor D&S were in physical shape to make it to Worlds to secure the 3rd spot for the new kids.

Canada and the US may have the same problem this coming year, with S&B and V&M out. Although each country still has great teams, it's hard to get 13 or less points.

That is true, but, based on what we have seen so far in the season, Canada might make it there, which could've been close to impossible a year ago, without V/M.
Even if the Kerr's recover, C/P might be defeating them ( I have no idea how the brits would've scored in that FD without the error in the lift, but the gap was large in the FD, while in the SD they were even).
If Massimo's back will be a problem (?), C/P might end up 3rd in the world this year.
And based on what I have seen so far, W/P could make their first top 10 finish.
Same goes for the US, D/W will be a sure top 1-2, and for either C/Z or Shib's not to be able to make the top 11 it is quite hard to imagine.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just never like to claim victory before it is achieved. I do think D/W and P/B have distinguished themselves from the rest and should be fighting for 1&2.

I too think W/P and C/P should be able to make 13 points-However, I do not expect C/P to beat either Kerrs or F/S at Worlds. And it is unclear how any of these teams they will match up with Bobrova/Soloviev. C/P have to skate as they did at Skate Canada, and not as they did at Skate America if they want that bronze medal. In fact, I would not be surprised to see them as low as 5th at Worlds. Then the question is can W/P score lower than 8th? I think they get the 3 spots in pretty much all cases, but it does make me nervous for them.

We will see how it's going for them at the GPF-how they match up with B/S will tell the tale as to whether they have a good shot at the bronze at Worlds. It is clear the C/P will finish at least 4th at GPF, though, and I hope 3rd.

I'm thinking W/P will easily do better than H/Z or C/Z at GPF and so not finish last. However, at Worlds, they could be passed by the Shibs (in which case the US gets 3 spots), almost surely. And we'll have to wait for TEB to see where to expect C/Z to finish. If they beat C/J and go to the GPF, I think they will make top 10 at Worlds, so no matter what happens to the Shibs, the US will get their 3 spots.