Ladies - Long Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

evangeline

Record Breaker
It would be so good to see her in choreography by someone other than Morozov. I've liked some of his work fine, but it seems he gives Miki the same program over and over to different music. He does not seem to be a musical choreographer, and that makes it hard to tell how musical Miki herself is.

Although I think it's rather unlikely that Miki would use choreography that isn't by Morozov, I completely agree. Does anyone know who choreographed Miki's Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence SP from 2005-2006? I feel that's the best program she's ever had in terms of expression, etc.....

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Does anyone know who choreographed Miki's Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence SP from 2005-2006? I feel that's the best program she's ever had in terms of expression, etc.....

It was David Wilson.

:)

From David's website:

This season he worked with 2005 World junior champion Nobunari Oda and choreographed both programs for Miki Ando. "The first day I met Miki, she said, 'I have something to show you.'Then she went onto the ice and performed the opening moves from Joannie's 'Firebird' program. She told me she fell in love with that program. She said, 'I want to be like that - I want to express myself.

Ando will skate to "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" by Ryuichi Sakamoto for her short. It is soft and subtle but chock-full of emotion,"Wilson said. The music for her long program is a violin arrangement of "My Funny Valentine."

"At first, her coach (Carol Heiss Jenkins) and the Japanese Federation were not sure about it, but Miki wanted a piece where she could find herself and be different from everyone else,"Wilson said. "This piece could do that for her. It does in practice. She loves both her programs, particularly the short, because it is so much fun."

Heiss Jenkins had the opportunity to watch Wilson in action last summer when she brought Ando to Canada to have the skater's programs refined. "When Miki showed us the short program David had choreographed for her, we just loved it," Heiss Jenkins said. "David is not only incredibly talented but he exudes this personal warmth. I just love his enthusiasm and creativity.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Where is Yukari? I've watched Mirai's clip, but I could not find Yukari. I miss her, too.

If you suppose the women commentator is Yukari, it's not her. It's Shizuka Arakawa.

I think it's only the commentary on Akiko and Miki during COR, not COC. COC is Shizuka

oleada

Record Breaker
VV said that Sofia is a very disciplined student, but lacks confidence. Their goal this year is to qualify for EC and WC.

If she skates clean, I think she can do it. She is a better skater and far more elegant than Leonova. Hopefully her performances here gave her confidence.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Athough i love Agafanova I m not sure about her technique, but Tuktamisheva, Sotnikova, have very good jumps, maybe Ovcharova as well but i havent seen her this year,and I m fond of Radionova and Lipnitskaya, and dont know why Deeva didnt get any gp, I m pretty sure some of them will be fine in seniors.

Ovcharova just had surgery and is taking the whole season off. Agafonova was not skating well on the JGP but she seems to be a skater who peaks later in the season. Shelepen has been skating well but her programs are awful and her artistry non-existant. Roza Sheveleva is good but inconsistent and sort of juniorish and no 3-3. I bet Sotnikova will win, she's been skating amazingly this season and has more to offer in the artistry and spins department than Tuktamysheva, I bet those 2 will go 1 and 2 and Ksenia will likely win bronze.

sorcerer

Final Flight
It would be so good to see her in choreography by someone other than Morozov. I've liked some of his work fine, but it seems he gives Miki the same program over and over to different music. He does not seem to be a musical choreographer, and that makes it hard to tell how musical Miki herself is.

ITA but the choreo for "Cleopatra" was done by Lea Ann Miller.

BTW Miki's exhibition programs "Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk" "Roquiem(EX veersion)" "Aranjuez Mon Amour" "Why do People Fall in Love" are all done by Morozov with modifications by Miki.
Have you watched these four?

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ashley's step sequence was awarded level 2. But on the other hand she was the only one in the top 3 to get level 4 for all her spins.

I'm not surprised. I've always thought Ashley's footwork was her biggest shortcoming and unfortunately for her Malaguena really lays it bare. :disapp:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I'm not surprised. I've always thought Ashley's footwork was her biggest shortcoming and unfortunately for her Malaguena really lays it bare. :disapp:

I totally agree with you. Ashley just does not have good basic skating skills or she just can not have natural feel of ice like any other talented skaters. Everything including her just simple corssover has to be done with so much of effort. I used to like her skating much better when she was junior. Somehow, they choreographed her program so that it will not show much of her weakness in skating skills. She was much more consistent and did not have a habit of double footing either. Her spins improved since then, though.
And I am very disappointed with the fact that she could not fix her lutz. I was really excited about it because she announced it really loudly in summer.

evangeline

Record Breaker
It was David Wilson.

:)

From David's website:

Thank you for the information!

I've always really liked Miki's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence SP, it really shows a softer, more expressive side of Miki that we don't see much in her competitive programs. Plus, I loved how it opened with a spin!

I'm glad to see Miki herself enjoyed the SP, and I hope she goes back to David Wilson for at least one more program before she retires.

ITA but the choreo for "Cleopatra" was done by Lea Ann Miller.

BTW Miki's exhibition programs "Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk" "Roquiem(EX veersion)" "Aranjuez Mon Amour" "Why do People Fall in Love" are all done by Morozov with modifications by Miki.
Have you watched these four?

Thanks for that info, sorcerer. I'll have to rewatch Cleo to see how different it was. I did kind of like that program or at least parts of it. As for the others, I was really talking about just her competitive programs. I haven't seen the last two you named. Just for the heck of it I'll check them out too. (We just moved and my attention for skating is a bit sketchy at the moment.) As someone else said, i have a soft spot for Miki and always want her to do as well as possible.

Once again since no one responded the first time - was anyone impressed by the sit spin variation she's doing this season with the leg straight out to the side? Has anyone else done that one? You can't call it a broken leg sit spin since the leg is straight.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for that info, sorcerer. I'll have to rewatch Cleo to see how different it was. I did kind of like that program or at least parts of it. As for the others, I was really talking about just her competitive programs. I haven't seen the last two you named. Just for the heck of it I'll check them out too. (We just moved and my attention for skating is a bit sketchy at the moment.) As someone else said, i have a soft spot for Miki and always want her to do as well as possible.

Once again since no one responded the first time - was anyone impressed by the sit spin variation she's doing this season with the leg straight out to the side? Has anyone else done that one? You can't call it a broken leg sit spin since the leg is straight.

I noticed that spin too, Spun Silver, and yes I thought it was a really nice position.

I really liked the Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence program and I thought it was so sad that she was not able to do it to its full potential when it came time for the Olympics. And I think for hte last few years, she's been clearly focus on being so technically proficient and consistent, but she lost some of that artistic spark over the years.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

yes, the music is speeding up and she is skating painfully slowly. That footwork is easily the worst part of the program and it comes right at the end.

None of the ladies this year have actually mastered the footwork sequenece to me except Akikko. She flies across the ice with spot on musicality, reminicent of Sasha's fantastic Rachmaninoff and Dark Eyes sequences. Rachel's step sequecnes are also pretty good, but in my book Akiko was head and shoulders above anyone I have seen this season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ashley still has a tendency to pike over when building up speed, and pumping her butt. It works against her when trying to do footwork which doesn't look as good when the body is in that position. Sometimes she remembers and straightens up, and sometimes she reverts. It's like the two footing the jumps-sometimes she falls back into the old bad habits.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Miki given a huge gift. I have no idea how her TES were so high for that.

i think she got some major sympathy points. She didn't do a 3/3 and eve doubled a jump. Akikko should have run away with this one, Ashley second. I have Miki third.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
i think she got some major sympathy points. She didn't do a 3/3 and eve doubled a jump. Akikko should have run away with this one, Ashley second. I have Miki third.

Miki did 3 huge lutz. How many did Ashley do? 0? Major sympathy points? Really?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What were Miki's sympathy points for exactly though? Becoming anorexic almost and still being with that goon Morozov professionaly and probably romantically? Beyond that I cant see where the sympathy would be unless I missed something. She wasnt injured or anything. I think it was more like reputation points than sympathy. Atleast it wasnt of Chantastic proportions but I was not impressed nonetheless.