Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Long Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post

It would be so good to see her in choreography by someone other than Morozov. I've liked some of his work fine, but it seems he gives Miki the same program over and over to different music. He does not seem to be a musical choreographer, and that makes it hard to tell how musical Miki herself is.
    Although I think it's rather unlikely that Miki would use choreography that isn't by Morozov, I completely agree. Does anyone know who choreographed Miki's Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence SP from 2005-2006? I feel that's the best program she's ever had in terms of expression, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Does anyone know who choreographed Miki's Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence SP from 2005-2006? I feel that's the best program she's ever had in terms of expression, etc.....
    It was David Wilson.

From David's website:

This season he worked with 2005 World junior champion Nobunari Oda and choreographed both programs for Miki Ando. "The first day I met Miki, she said, 'I have something to show you.'Then she went onto the ice and performed the opening moves from Joannie's 'Firebird' program. She told me she fell in love with that program. She said, 'I want to be like that - I want to express myself.

Ando will skate to "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" by Ryuichi Sakamoto for her short. It is soft and subtle but chock-full of emotion,"Wilson said. The music for her long program is a violin arrangement of "My Funny Valentine."

"At first, her coach (Carol Heiss Jenkins) and the Japanese Federation were not sure about it, but Miki wanted a piece where she could find herself and be different from everyone else,"Wilson said. "This piece could do that for her. It does in practice. She loves both her programs, particularly the short, because it is so much fun."

Heiss Jenkins had the opportunity to watch Wilson in action last summer when she brought Ando to Canada to have the skater's programs refined. "When Miki showed us the short program David had choreographed for her, we just loved it," Heiss Jenkins said. "David is not only incredibly talented but he exudes this personal warmth. I just love his enthusiasm and creativity.
    Last edited by MikiAndoFan#1; 11-20-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Where is Yukari? I've watched Mirai's clip, but I could not find Yukari. I miss her, too.

If you suppose the women commentator is Yukari, it's not her. It's Shizuka Arakawa.
    I think it's only the commentary on Akiko and Miki during COR, not COC. COC is Shizuka

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yes, she trains in Jersey
    That doesn't make her a Jersey girl. She's an upstate New York Russian girl. She may train in Jersey, but she doesn't live there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    VV said that Sofia is a very disciplined student, but lacks confidence. Their goal this year is to qualify for EC and WC.
    If she skates clean, I think she can do it. She is a better skater and far more elegant than Leonova. Hopefully her performances here gave her confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I think it's only the commentary on Akiko and Miki during COR, not COC. COC is Shizuka
    Thank you! I've watched the COC clips, I guess it's Hanae Yokoya.

I really hope Yukari keeps the relationships with skating, but she will not...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Athough i love Agafanova I m not sure about her technique, but Tuktamisheva, Sotnikova, have very good jumps, maybe Ovcharova as well but i havent seen her this year,and I m fond of Radionova and Lipnitskaya, and dont know why Deeva didnt get any gp, I m pretty sure some of them will be fine in seniors.
    Ovcharova just had surgery and is taking the whole season off. Agafonova was not skating well on the JGP but she seems to be a skater who peaks later in the season. Shelepen has been skating well but her programs are awful and her artistry non-existant. Roza Sheveleva is good but inconsistent and sort of juniorish and no 3-3. I bet Sotnikova will win, she's been skating amazingly this season and has more to offer in the artistry and spins department than Tuktamysheva, I bet those 2 will go 1 and 2 and Ksenia will likely win bronze.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    No, not Yukari, the commentary was Hanae Yokoya, the GP Finalist from Japan in 1995. She finished 5th there.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    It would be so good to see her in choreography by someone other than Morozov. I've liked some of his work fine, but it seems he gives Miki the same program over and over to different music. He does not seem to be a musical choreographer, and that makes it hard to tell how musical Miki herself is.
    ITA but the choreo for "Cleopatra" was done by Lea Ann Miller.

BTW Miki's exhibition programs "Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk" "Roquiem(EX veersion)" "Aranjuez Mon Amour" "Why do People Fall in Love" are all done by Morozov with modifications by Miki.
    Have you watched these four?
    Last edited by sorcerer; 11-21-2010 at 01:25 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flesymtuobayzarc View Post
    Ashley's step sequence was awarded level 2. But on the other hand she was the only one in the top 3 to get level 4 for all her spins.
    I'm not surprised. I've always thought Ashley's footwork was her biggest shortcoming and unfortunately for her Malaguena really lays it bare.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I'm not surprised. I've always thought Ashley's footwork was her biggest shortcoming and unfortunately for her Malaguena really lays it bare.
    I totally agree with you. Ashley just does not have good basic skating skills or she just can not have natural feel of ice like any other talented skaters. Everything including her just simple corssover has to be done with so much of effort. I used to like her skating much better when she was junior. Somehow, they choreographed her program so that it will not show much of her weakness in skating skills. She was much more consistent and did not have a habit of double footing either. Her spins improved since then, though.
    And I am very disappointed with the fact that she could not fix her lutz. I was really excited about it because she announced it really loudly in summer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    It was David Wilson.

From David's website:
    Thank you for the information!

I've always really liked Miki's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence SP, it really shows a softer, more expressive side of Miki that we don't see much in her competitive programs. Plus, I loved how it opened with a spin!

I'm glad to see Miki herself enjoyed the SP, and I hope she goes back to David Wilson for at least one more program before she retires.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    ITA but the choreo for "Cleopatra" was done by Lea Ann Miller.

BTW Miki's exhibition programs "Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk" "Roquiem(EX veersion)" "Aranjuez Mon Amour" "Why do People Fall in Love" are all done by Morozov with modifications by Miki.
    Have you watched these four?
    Thanks for that info, sorcerer. I'll have to rewatch Cleo to see how different it was. I did kind of like that program or at least parts of it. As for the others, I was really talking about just her competitive programs. I haven't seen the last two you named. Just for the heck of it I'll check them out too. (We just moved and my attention for skating is a bit sketchy at the moment.) As someone else said, i have a soft spot for Miki and always want her to do as well as possible.

Once again since no one responded the first time - was anyone impressed by the sit spin variation she's doing this season with the leg straight out to the side? Has anyone else done that one? You can't call it a broken leg sit spin since the leg is straight.

Custom Title
    Hanae Yokoya, the commentator for the Japanese CoR broadcast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBT9OLY3sE

Thanks for that info, sorcerer. I'll have to rewatch Cleo to see how different it was. I did kind of like that program or at least parts of it. As for the others, I was really talking about just her competitive programs. I haven't seen the last two you named. Just for the heck of it I'll check them out too. (We just moved and my attention for skating is a bit sketchy at the moment.) As someone else said, i have a soft spot for Miki and always want her to do as well as possible.

Once again since no one responded the first time - was anyone impressed by the sit spin variation she's doing this season with the leg straight out to the side? Has anyone else done that one? You can't call it a broken leg sit spin since the leg is straight.
    I noticed that spin too, Spun Silver, and yes I thought it was a really nice position.

I really liked the Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence program and I thought it was so sad that she was not able to do it to its full potential when it came time for the Olympics. And I think for hte last few years, she's been clearly focus on being so technically proficient and consistent, but she lost some of that artistic spark over the years.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast