Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern

jan

On the Ice
I turned off the music to watch Chan. It improves my experience of watching his skating immeasurably when I don't have to sputter and moan about his skating through his music.

Perhaps you should turn up the music. He is actually skating to all of the little nuances in the music. Would you prefer that he stood still to pick up all of the musical highlights. He is the only skater besides some of the Japanese that do not stand and pose so they can get up enough energy to go and telegraph the next jump.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I saw the last flight skate. I would say the podium was very close. But then, I'm one of those fans who think skating is more than jumping. When a skater falls, deduct what you need to deduct, then move on. If falling X times disqualifies a skater from winning, then make that a rule.
In any case, I'm glad for Tomas. ( I have to remember not to write "Thomas". )

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Joubert can pass Jeremy too. I did these calculations on my blog just now:

He is currently 5th in the standings, and there are five men who can pass him in Paris:

Takahiko Kozuka: Need only top four.

Brandon Mroz: Must top two, or win bronze with a score of 218.61 or higher.

Florent Amodio: Must win gold, or silver with a score of 221.63 or higher.

Brian Joubert & Kevin Reynolds: Must win. Obviously they can't both win, so reduced number of men who can pass Jeremy to four.

Kozuka will likely pass Jeremy. So basically if any of the other guys hit their mark, Jeremy's out. Mroz probaby has a better chance of winning silver, than gold, and same with Amodio. So the best thing that can happen for Jeremy is that Brian Joubert wins silver, which is very possible(Reynolds could win silver too, but that's less likely.) Behind Kozuka, with Amodio winning bronze, and he's in. Not an unlikely outcome. But there are many outcomes that are equally likely, most involving Joubert winning, or in fact anyone other than Kozuka winning. In laws of probability, I suspect the odds are against him, but...

Tanja90

On the Ice
Verner is sure of the GPF (11+15, second in the standings for now)! :)
Chan too (15+13), just if anyone doubted ;), while Abbott is still not certain (13+11, and he'll have to look for anyone among Kozuka/Mroz/Amodio).

So, GPF will be Takahashi, Chan, Verner, Oda and two out of Kozuka/Abbott/Mroz/Amodio, right?

If joubert win at the bompard he will have a shot too...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did anyone see Jeremy say in the K&C "Oh well, I got 3rd" when he was put in 2nd place before Chan even skated? I guess he's onto the fact that he can't beat Wonder Boy, no matter what Wonder Boy does

To be fair, I think he was actually talking about his placement in the freeskate. He was third behind Tomas and Samuel Contesti. He ended up finishing fourth in the free skate.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Saw last 3 men skate and just had quick review of protocols. Thoughts:

--Good for Tomas! This program has so much more impact when seen live. I'm glad I had the chance to see it at CoC, but he did it better here. Hopefully he's getting past his previous competition headcase demons, and if getting it out there with no quad for now does the trick, I'm all for it.

--Only Verner and Contesti managed to stay on their feet. Gachinski and Tretiakov also, but their programs had too many doubles (and singletons) so not in league with first two.

--NO QUADS were successful in this FS competition. Does this mean anything? I dunno...

--Abbott: what a shame. Would a clean skate have won? We'll never know.

--Falls: 11 falls, 3 of which belonged to Chan

--Chan: Mess of a program. Overscored on GOE especially for jumps, and nearly every component of PCS, no question in my mind. I found his skating and presentation uninspired. He really does skate through his music. The thought of him coming so close to winning this competition with a total of 4 falls (SP + FS)--no gold only because of the invalid combination--is making me retch. As pointed out by others, this is just not acceptable. Either something is wrong with the judges, or the COP, or both.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Chan didnt win but 146 for this is TOO much, he looked slow after half and completely allien to the music playing, yes he is a great skater with amazing SS, but he doesnt interepretet anything, he is doing his Nichol choreo blindly, and what part of SS is sliding on your back 3 times?Shouldnt he hold the edge of his landings part of his so great skills?And his jums doesnt cover any distance, his quad when landed is truly his best jump!
Itis absurd he might have won if he didnt zayaked, at least he is consistent to the falls.

Bravo to Tomas!!! Program cuts are a mess but well done!

I love Jeremy program, this is one with meaning choreo and beatiful interpretation! I love it!

Does anyone know the story behind Arthur's music?Didnt get the choreo

gmyers

Record Breaker
:scowl:. Verner has only been working with his new coach for a short while. He plans to attempt the quad later in the season because he's looking to peak at Euros and Worlds. Plus we saw how far doing quads got him last season :rolleye:. Plus he didn't leave the quad out to win, he skated BEFORE Abbott and Chan bombed, he realistically probably expected to come in 3rd overall. Plus if the quad isn't that consistent yet then why attempt it? He totally changed his training regimen and now does a lot more off ice and strength training, so his weight distribution has changed so the quad isn't as stable as it used to be. He may bring the quad as early as the GPF if he really wants to medal there.

Maybe all this will turn out to be true when it comes to Tomas and the quad but his free skate layout is almost exactly like Lysacek's in every way. The only differences are placement of certain jumps or combos.

Lysacek
3lz+3t
3A
3S
Step
Spin
3A+2t
3Lo
3F+2t+2lo
3Lz
2A
sp
st
sp

Verner
3Lz+3T
3A
3Lo
CiSt3
FCoSp3
3A+2T
3Lz
3S
2A
3F+2T+2Lo
CSSp2
ChSt1
spin

This makes me uncomfortable because it was a Olympic gold medal winning layout and where is his incentive going to come from to change it?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
So happy for Verner! I do think he is doing well to just concentrate on consistency and doing well in competition, especially this early in the season, which he just did! Quad doesn't make or break a Tomas performance for me, so can't wait to check it out on youtube.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
He said in the interview after the long, that there is a place in his program to do the quad but for now he didn't feel comfortable to try it in the competition

Tanja90

On the Ice
Maybe all this will turn out to be true when it comes to Tomas and the quad but his free skate layout is almost exactly like Lysacek's in every way. The only differences are placement of certain jumps or combos.

Lysacek
3lz+3t
3A
3S
Step
Spin
3A+2t
3Lo
3F+2t+2lo
3Lz
2A
sp
st
sp

Verner
3Lz+3T
3A
3Lo
CiSt3
FCoSp3
3A+2T
3Lz
3S
2A
3F+2T+2Lo
CSSp2
ChSt1
spin

This makes me uncomfortable because it was a Olympic gold medal winning layout and where is his incentive going to come from to change it?

So yuo're assuming that verner is copying evan? this is the most ridicoluos thing I've ever heard. he's not doing a quad right now and to know the reason whatch the video that has been posted! and it's not that without a quad skaters have so much choices to gain points...

gmyers

Record Breaker
So yuo're assuming that verner is copying evan? this is the most ridicoluos thing I've ever heard. he's not doing a quad right now and to know the reason whatch the video that has been posted! and it's not that without a quad skaters have so much choices to gain points...

Where is the video?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Echoes of Lysacek!

Well, Tomas was consistent with his quad until last season(he landed a few last season too).He tried one in every long program up until this season. Evan was never consistent with his quad. Plus, the base value for the quad was raised, so I believe he will try it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Chan didnt win but 146 for this is TOO much, he looked slow after half and completely allien to the music playing, yes he is a great skater with amazing SS, but he doesnt interepretet anything, he is doing his Nichol choreo blindly, and what part of SS is sliding on your back 3 times?Shouldnt he hold the edge of his landings part of his so great skills?And his jums doesnt cover any distance, his quad when landed is truly his best jump!
Itis absurd he might have won if he didnt zayaked, at least he is consistent to the falls.

Bravo to Tomas!!! Program cuts are a mess but well done!

I love Jeremy program, this is one with meaning choreo and beatiful interpretation! I love it!

Does anyone know the story behind Arthur's music?Didnt get the choreo

I have to agree with most of this - and wonder what Chan's P/E score was ? And his IN, which I find average at best. He manages to keep up with the music but it all looks like choreography/IN by numbers to me.

It is better than "robotic" but for me to even think of robotic and Chan together shows I am not grabbed by his IN. IMO Jeremy is in a totally different league than Chan when it comes to IN.

The SS skills are evident but again - why can't he hold ont more jumps if he is such a master of the blades?
Obvioulsy he not the most well-rounded skater as the CoP is trying to convince us.

I think he is fun to watch - and would be the first to congratulate him when we see anything resembling a clean skate.
He makes too many mistakes, has major probnlems with the 3A - and if fans thought Evan was a step back this Chan represents a bigger step back IMO.

For crying out loud - atleast Evan could keep on his feet and Chan has splatted more in two events than Evan did in 4 years.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: If Verner were copying Lysacek, his skating would have zero personality, zero interpretation of the music, and blah choreography. Tomas brings life and charm to his performances; something Evan could only wish to ever do. Chan doesn't bring life and charm to his performances either. COP prefers robotic skaters.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I saw the last flight skate. I would say the podium was very close. But then, I'm one of those fans who think skating is more than jumping. When a skater falls, deduct what you need to deduct, then move on. If falling X times disqualifies a skater from winning, then make that a rule.
In any case, I'm glad for Tomas. ( I have to remember not to write "Thomas". )

I see what you're getting at.

Actually when I look at the protocols, I think the judges did not do a terrible job. I question Chan's GOE on some of the jumps and PCS is a little high for my taste. But they did dock Chan on some areas correctly.

That said, I would've had Chan ahead of Abbott because Abbott made to many little mistakes along with his falls, so he would still have won silver. So I guess I agree with the placements overall.