Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern

luvsasha

Final Flight
I don't like Verner's program either, but he definitely deserved to win here.
Chan's scores are really starting to annoy me.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Aww sad about Yuzuru's placement. He pulled an Oda and did too many combos just like Chan. I read somewhere that Yuzuru has a hip injury. Is that true :(

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The pressure will be on Chan now in the GPF to prove to the judges that he deserves the inflated marks he's been getting for bad performances. Last season, he followed up a bad SC performance with subpar performances in Vancouver, and even home ice couldn't boost him higher than 5th there. At Worlds 2010, he didn't get the benefit of the doubt vs. Takahashi, either.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Abott's lp is a thing for CoP study, so complete and cool, all the choreography serves the music, instead of music serving the choreo, if he skates it clean it will be a bomb!
Hanyu is getting pretty good marks for his first senior year and with the insane field of Japanese team, I think his time will come later, he is too young!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This makes me uncomfortable because it was a Olympic gold medal winning layout and where is his incentive going to come from to change it?

Oh please. Verner is not Lysacek, but after seeing how Evan managed to win Worlds, the GPF, and the Olympics, it probably taught Tomas a thing or two about the value of hard work and consistency. I could see why people might be mad about the outcome of the competition today but it's not like Abbott or Chan landed a quad in their FS, in fact they didn't even fully rotate the attempts they fell on. Plus Tomas didn't abandon the quad, he's changed everything and is working to peak towards Euros and Worlds, the quad is not quite comfortable in his program yet so why should he try it? Also he said in the press conference he didn't want his programs to be over the top so that the audience can appreciate his skating and not just a bunch of exciting choreography.

I feel so bad for Tomas because I am beyond proud of him for making this change and bouncing back so quickly, but it seems like most people are mad at him because he's not attempting the quad right now and therefore think his nearly clean programs don't count. I love you Tomas and hope you keep up the good work and don't let the naysayers get you down. He'll bring back the quad when he's ready. For now confidence and consistency is most important. Tomas is about so much more than one jump, his skating is smooth, his footwork excellent, and his spirit is the best.

TOMAS VERNER RELOADED: 2010-2011 :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Chan once again will boast about how the judges wanted to give him the big scores and the win for such crappy performances again. 8 falls total in the GP . . . just hysterical! Maybe he will make another statement thanking Ms. Nichol for politicking with the judges in his favor. Maybe he can become the first male skater in history to win the GPF, the Worlds, and the Olympics with 4 falls in each event. It looks like small dreams can come true. The ISU is so tacky and shameful! A disgrace of epic proportions.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Aww sad about Yuzuru's placement. He pulled an Oda and did too many combos just like Chan. I read somewhere that Yuzuru has a hip injury. Is that true :(

Well I mean he's 15 and looks to have just started puberty, so considering all that, I'd say he is doing a great job! I think his performance will become better as he fills out and gains muscle mass in the coming years. He is soo skinny, he's like the male version of Min-Jung Kwak!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I wonder if Chan once again will boast about how the judges wanted to give him the big scores and the win for such crappy performances again. 8 falls total in the GP . . . just hysterical! Maybe he will make another statement thanking Ms. Nichol for politicking with the judges in his favor. Maybe he can become the first male skater in history to win the GPF, the Worlds, and the Olympics with 4 falls in each event. It looks like small dreams can come true. The ISU is so tacky and shameful! A disgrace of epic proportions.

I mean is 145 really that big of a score though? I mean, it's definitely a good score, but for Chan he usually scores around 160 for a FS with one fall, so I think all the problems with his performance today really were accounted for. Further, the scores here seemed a little bit high across the board.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

I concur. Chan's scores are further dropping the credability and popularity of a sport which was already waning. It is sad.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I love you Tomas and hope you keep up the good work and don't let the naysayers get you down. He'll bring back the quad when he's ready. For now confidence and consistency is most important. Tomas is about so much more than one jump, his skating is smooth, his footwork excellent, and his spirit is the best.

THIS!!! :rock: I lurve the new and improved Tomas as well. :thumbsup:

Verner should receive a plaque of honor. Beating Chan in a competition in front of judge with less than 10 falls deserves one these days.
:rofl:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I concur. Chan's scores are further dropping the credability and popularity of a sport which was already waning. It is sad.

A large part of me wishes that skating fans from other nations will write to the ISU, maybe get some influential judges involved as well, and boycott attending ISU competitions in the mens' discipline. Something HAS to be done; we the fans have to spur a change in the right direction. It may come down to all the other competitors from all the other nations boycotting competing in the mens' event. How discouraging must it be for them to see that 1 skater has a 4 fall cushion over the other competitors, no matter how they skate. If the ISU and this sport continues in this way, figure skating deserves to fail.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ And yet several judges who post at GS have been kind enough to tell us we are all full of it. It has been pointed out that we are living in past, and the scoring is FINE.

I guess Chan is just too superior for most of us to appreciate.
Ice Dancing anyone :think: :bow:

herios

Medalist
Oh please. Verner is not Lysacek, but after seeing how Evan managed to win Worlds, the GPF, and the Olympics, it probably taught Tomas a thing or two about the value of hard work and consistency. I could see why people might be mad about the outcome of the competition today but it's not like Abbott or Chan landed a quad in their FS, in fact they didn't even fully rotate the attempts they fell on. Plus Tomas didn't abandon the quad, he's changed everything and is working to peak towards Euros and Worlds, the quad is not quite comfortable in his program yet so why should he try it? Also he said in the press conference he didn't want his programs to be over the top so that the audience can appreciate his skating and not just a bunch of exciting choreography.

I feel so bad for Tomas because I am beyond proud of him for making this change and bouncing back so quickly, but it seems like most people are mad at him because he's not attempting the quad right now and therefore think his nearly clean programs don't count. I love you Tomas and hope you keep up the good work and don't let the naysayers get you down. He'll bring back the quad when he's ready. For now confidence and consistency is most important. Tomas is about so much more than one jump, his skating is smooth, his footwork excellent, and his spirit is the best.

Hey Silverlake, you are my fellow romanian if I recall ? I hope my memory doesn't fail me, anyway, I am completely in agreement with your message, no matter how much I am proud of the canadians when they are doing well and win on merit, I cannot accept this lovefest Chan is getting all over the place and I feel embarrased and mad.
Verner on another note deserves every bit of respect, this is a comeback story (I am a big sucker for these), and he has always been a better skater technically than his results showed. He got totally hosed in LA 2009 of a bronze medal and since than I am fully behind him, especially when he skates like today. And he is a nice young man, not a cocky one like Patrick

seniorita

Record Breaker
A large part of me wishes that skating fans from other nations will write to the ISU, maybe get some influential judges involved as well, and boycott attending ISU competitions in the mens' discipline.
Mr Inman doesnt have an email anymore?Isnt he bothered for P/E and IN marks given for a bunch of artistic falls?

bekalc

Record Breaker
^ And yet several judges who post at GS have been kind enough to tell us we are all full of it. It has been pointed out that we are living in past, and the scoring is FINE.

I guess Chan is just too superior for most of us to appreciate.
Ice Dancing anyone :think: :bow:

:laugh: Somehow though I suspect those judges who say we are "full of it" by complaining about Chan's scores now, well somehow judge different at the Olympics if Patrick were to fall 4 times. Because they know full well how the general public would react to an Olympic champion with 4 falls.

janetfan

Match Penalty
:laugh: Somehow though I suspect those judges who say we are "full of it" by complaining about Chan's scores now, well somehow judge different at the Olympics if Patrick were to fall 4 times. Because they know full well how the general public would react to an Olympic champion with 4 falls.

Look, I brought the Olympics up and got nailed by Wally. I was told Evan was superior and the BEST skater and that is why he won.
I don't mind Evan, and admire how hard he worked. But I am obviously not fit to be a judge because I would have given Dai the OGM.

I am just now realizing where Dai went wrong in Vancouver.....he only fell once. Three or four - falls and the OGM would have been his :rofl:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Look, I brought the Olympics up and got nailed by Wally. I was told Evan was superior and the BEST skater and that is why he won.
I don't mind Evan, and admire how hard he worked. But I am obviously not fit to be a judge because I would have given Dai the OGM.

I am just now realizing where Dai went wrong in Vancouver.....he only fell once. Three or four - falls and the OGM would have been his :rofl:

Yeah that what kills me, I must say I'd have given the Olympics to Daisuke even with the fall based on his artistry and the fact that both Evan and Plushenko were shaky. But I can "understand" why Daisuke lost and I don't exactly feel sorry for Daisuke.

But what kills me is this system isn't even freaking consistent. I do have a feeling though that the judges are going to pick a skater or two who becomes consistent, and raise the PCS enough to beat both Dai and Chan if neither skates decently.

Still why can't we just have a system that at the very least doesn't let someone win with 4 falls over other good skaters. I just don't think its ridiculous for fans to start drawing lines at multiple falls.

lavender

Record Breaker
People are mad at Verner? I'm not mad at him for not doing the quad for once. The dude needs to consistent with his other jumps.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Exactly, if Chan deserves to win events with 4 falls, then Takahashi sure as heck deserved to win the Olympic Gold over Plushenko and Lysacek with just 1 fall. Takahashi is a better skater than the most overrated skater of all time Patrick Chan anyway, even if Chan wasnt falling. He has everything in his skating that Chan has except weaker spins, but far better jumps (even landed), and is a much better performer, skates with more personality and flare, and interprets music better.

evangeline

Record Breaker

:laugh:

I too would have given Daisuke the Olympic gold in Vancouver...and nailed Plush and Lysacek on their PCS like they deserved. I guess I am too ineducable to be a judge too, boohoo.

On a more serious note, I think the real test of Patrick will come at the GPF, when he goes head-to-head against Daisuke-his only real equal in terms of scoring right now--for the first time this season. I wonder how a multiple-fall Patrick will score against Daisuke, especially when it comes to PCS.