Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern

janetfan

Match Penalty
I basically think that Verner was the right winner but I wish he didn't win in the way that he did which I find unfortunate.

Tomas is a very special skater. Many of us are so happy to see him bouncing back after last season. Screw the quad for now- Tomas is about soooooo much more than one jump. He has nice lines and posture and is just great to watch when he is not splatting all over the ice.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Tomas is a very special skater. Many of us are so happy to see him bouncing back after last season. Screw the quad for now- Tomas is about soooooo much more than one jump. He has nice lines and posture and is just great to watch when he is not splatting all over the ice.

Exactly.

:rock:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, Patrick had four combinations, so his 2A-3T were not counted. Otherwise, he would be the winner, even though he fell 3 times. This is just not right

Tanja90

On the Ice
Actually, according to the protocols he was unlucky. His 2A+3T was counted as a forth combination. If he didn't put 3T at the end, he would win.

unlucky? it's not possible that a skater with three falls can win a competition IMO! not with the program that tomas delivered! it's not fear! patrick is so overscored and I cannot stand it!

Trewyn

Medalist
Looking at the protocols, Patrick had four combinations, so his 2A-3T were not counted. Otherwise, he would be the winner, even though he fell 3 times. This is just not right

I thought I saw too many combos! But I wasn't sure of the exact rules.

I kind of was underwhelmed by Tomas... I'm really happy he's bouncing back because he's got so much talent and he's great to watch; but to me it really felt like his FS lasted aaaages. That's usually a sign of acute boredom. But a deserved winner, clearly, and I'm thrilled to see him in the final.

But oh shock... There might not be an American man in the final??? If Florent and Kozuka or Joubert deliver...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm so glad they didn't let Chan win with that!!

Not only would it be unfair, but the boards would have had to shut down from implosion. :laugh:

I think Tomas was good. Maybe he didn't do a quad, but he was definitely better than at last year's Olympics.

Jeremy made me sad.

I wish Contesti had been able to pull up for a medal. When was the last time he won a GP medal, if ever?

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Exactly. For now Tomas needs to focus on jump consistency and getting his confidence back, and he's doing just that. He said he still trains the 4t, but he also said he is building toward Euros and Worlds this season, so for now, that is not his focus. I give him major props for turning things around and think that if he can bring back the quad and give a little more signature Tomas performance quality come winter I think we could very well see him on the European AND World podiums (honestly he can probably medal at/win Europeans even without the quad if he keeps this up).

Plus to be honest, the old Tomas trend of landing the 4-3 and then popping most everything else was so frustrating. I much prefer him landing and rotating jumps, it shows good work ethic. Plus these clean/almost clean performances are boosting his PCS, I mean 78+ in the FS, that's pretty impressive!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
unlucky? it's not possible that a skater with three falls can win a competition IMO! not with the program that tomas delivered! it's not fear! patrick is so overscored and I cannot stand it!

You're forgetting the fall in the SP. Chan would have won with 4 falls again. 8 total falls over 2 grand prixs and both would have won gold. This "sport" is sick now.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Did anyone see Jeremy say in the K&C "Oh well, I got 3rd" when he was put in 2nd place before Chan even skated? I guess he's onto the fact that he can't beat Wonder Boy, no matter what Wonder Boy does

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan will most likely win GPF and Worlds with 4 falls too. I think I'll have to program my mind from now on to enjoy the performances and ignore the rotten, unfair results.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nope, I call it as that Chan should've known better. If he's such a COP master, he should have known this, especially since a bunch of people have already made this mistake -- Oda did just LAST WEEK!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone see Jeremy say in the K&C "Oh well, I got 3rd" when he was put in 2nd place before Chan even skated? I guess he's onto the fact that he can't beat Wonder Boy, no matter what Wonder Boy does

Gee, what would ever give him THAT impression? :rolleye::disapp:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't like that Verner won at all. It is what I thought would happen when Lysacek won the Olympics. Skaters who can do quads not doing them anymore to win. He is so far beneath where he was in 2007 with his worlds free skate. Verner is blech now.

:scowl:. Verner has only been working with his new coach for a short while. He plans to attempt the quad later in the season because he's looking to peak at Euros and Worlds. Plus we saw how far doing quads got him last season :rolleye:. Plus he didn't leave the quad out to win, he skated BEFORE Abbott and Chan bombed, he realistically probably expected to come in 3rd overall. Plus if the quad isn't that consistent yet then why attempt it? He totally changed his training regimen and now does a lot more off ice and strength training, so his weight distribution has changed so the quad isn't as stable as it used to be. He may bring the quad as early as the GPF if he really wants to medal there.

Patrick, I would say, skated far more beautiful in his LP, and certainly in his SC. He may well be the finist skater in the whole of Figure Skating. That's an arguable statement but I am with him.

It would be important as a Tech skater to work on his jump landings.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Patrick, I would say, skated far more beautiful in his LP, and certainly in his SC. He may well be the finist skater in the whole of Figure Skating. That's an arguable statement but I am with him.

It would be important as a Tech skater to work on his jump landings.

Yes, not falling four times at every event might be called a step in the right direction......:)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I dunno. Why fix what already works? He can win with 4 falls, so keep on falling :bang: . . . but remember to count your combos. Sorry Jeremy, but skating life isn't beautiful the way things are now. :disapp:

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Verner is sure of the GPF (11+15, second in the standings for now)! :)
Chan too (15+13), just if anyone doubted ;), while Abbott is still not certain (13+11, and he'll have to look for anyone among Kozuka/Mroz/Amodio).

So, GPF will be Takahashi, Chan, Verner, Oda and two out of Kozuka/Abbott/Mroz/Amodio, right?

Ah, and Joubert and Reynolds are still there too!! But they both has to be at least second place in Paris, if my maths still work...

Last edited: