Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Predictions

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I don't have a link, but he said that R/H's SD costume looked like it was the result of "Happy Hands at Home" The picture showed them taking their bow, one arm up, and even there ,her shoulder was glued to her ear...really sad . Honestly, the costumes do look like the product of one of those kits you used to see in the hobby shops ..How to make costumes from crepe paper , or something.

I have real problems with the concept ( or lack of same ) behind their FD costumes..but nothing is as bad as this.

Edit ; Oh, what the heck ! I've been biting my tongue about R/H's FD costumes since CoC and though they look much better than the SD costumes, I just want to get this off my chest.

First off, individually they looked good ..together , not so much. Once again there's a lack of awareness ( and I hope and trust it's only that ) around racial stereotypes coming into play. First, there's the African music. Second , her dress , which, on the plus side , is the most flattering dress she's ever worn . It looks like an Ivory cocktail dress ,with a deep V neck with sparkly trim , shirring around the hip , and a drape at the front of the skirt. Very classy and mature. But then, he's dressed in casual wear ..his shirt is un-tucked and open to show his shell undershirt ( wife - beater ) and there's a belt around his waist that doesn't fit him ; it wraps around and sticks out at the back as if he doesn't care, or had to borrow it , or can't afford anything better. ( But these kids are not Russian and this is not another version of The Lady and the Hooligan ).
    A couple on a date would not be dressed in such a dissimilar fashion. It definitely says there's a class distinction between them. But with the African version of "Summertime" .. it brings a racial undercurrent ( the fainest whiff of "Mandingo " , for those who know what that is) that would be so easy to avoid.
    Why can't she have a simple sun dress with no sparkles ? Why can't he have a belt that fits ( or no belt at all ? ). Or he could wear a pair of lovely ice cream pants and shirt to match her..dressed , but in the tropics. ( I prefer the casual look for both, myself .) However, if they stick with Ivory ..by the end of the skate , she had a big smear of what looked to me like the rouge, or highlighter they've had him wearing on one side of her chest ..probably picked up during a lift . Maybe that could be rethought.

It just makes me queasy..but I reiterate, the SD costumes are so much worse this almost feels like nit-picking...It drives me nuts because it's all unnecessary.

Sorry, I just realized I've gone OT.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 11-24-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Addition

Custom Title
    Wow, Colleen..... I'm SO sorry to hear that. These kids were once Novice and Junior champions of Canada. And now they are about to be surpassed by P/I in Canada, and perhaps even fall below A/T and H/G. We'll have to see how those 2 latter teams do over the course of the season, but I think, based on scores for the season, R/H are dropping down the ranks instead of maintaining their position or moving up. I'm really hoping to see a big improvement in their skating this year, which will maybe help me look past all the costume fiascos and general poor choice of programs. What I love about C/P is that they are trying something very different this year, and stretching themselves and growing their talent. I am just thrilled. By doing exactly the same thing year over year, R/H fail to be seen as fresh and improving. There's a current Junior team in the same rink who continually do the same kinds of programs every year. I fear the same fate for them unless they spend some real time challenging themselves.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I hope to see some improvement in Paris.. As to the skating, I agree they have a good chance at 5th , but I doubt they'd place higher ( barring any injuries or wd's involving C/J ,C/Z or R/T ).. and if Huang & Zheng , who beat them by 5+ points at CoC , were not just benefitting from the home country boost ,R/H may have to settle for 6th. Anyway, I think 5th will be a battle between those two.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 11-24-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.universalsports.com/photo...id=499991.html

The Gallery from Nick's Cup of China blog. Ralph & Hill are the 3rd clip, labelled Circusella. Their program was to Cinderella.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-25-2010 at 04:42 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I m going to TEB tommorow with the old gang from here and very excited, as far as I m concerned, imaginary I m already in paris
    If Kozuka skates clean , then first and I see Amodio on podium ..Ok and I promised I ll cheer for Joub also
    Practice reports say Mirai doesnt look good, but Alissa and Mao do!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    but Alissa and Mao do!
    I've read that Mao paractically didn't attempt jumps and Alissa's jumps were not so successful.

Custom Title
    Practice reports say Mirai doesnt look good
    Might be the opposite of COC, because remember Frank said that Mirai looked amazing in warm-up and practice, but bombed the competition, so maybe she'll skate really well now? *crosses fingers*

Custom Title
    Pairs
    Savchenko & Szolkowy
    Bazarova & Larionov
    Brodeur & Mattatall

Men
    Kozuka
    Mroz
    Joubert

Ladies
    Asada
    Korpi
    Nagasu

Dance
    Pecahalat & Bourzat
    Riazanova & Tkachenko
    Carron & Jones

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I've read that Mao paractically didn't attempt jumps and Alissa's jumps were not so successful.
    I feel like I always read that Alissa's practices look good. And then... :sheesh:

Custom Title
    Given the unpredictability of the ladies field, I wonder if Lena Marrocco can medal? She is super cute and seems to be on the upswing this season, and her spins are already fantastic!

Who's she?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Who's she?
    French, 15, tiny, brown hair, gorgeous cat shaped eyes. She just won the Ice Challenge in Graz.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqoY6...eature=related
    I like her

Custom Title
    MEN
    Joubert
    Reynolds
    Kozuka

As same as past two years, Joubert makes GPF with 4th + 1st. Kozuka's clean quad is yet to be achieved. Kevin Reynolds lands 2 3A's and scores around 225.

LADIES
    Asada
    Nagasu
    Korpi

For Mao, it's win or off the podium. I can't imagine her to place 2nd or 3rd in this field. Nagasu's chance depends on avoiding the first place after the SP. Don't ask too much. As I posted before, it's extremely exceptional to win a gold for the first GP medal. Korpi will medal with unworthy performances. Imai is the "real" bronze medalist.
    Last edited by NMURA; 11-25-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    French, 15, tiny, brown hair, gorgeous cat shaped eyes. She just won the Ice Challenge in Graz.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqoY6...eature=related
    I like her
    Thanks! She's cute and her spins are pretty good. I wonder what level she got for her footwork though. Seems like a lot of slow two-footed skating and some shimy-shaying in place. I think if she medals it will mean quite a few much better skaters fell apart, but it will be interesting to see how Lena develops.

I m going to TEB tommorow with the old gang from here and very excited, as far as I m concerned, imaginary I m already in paris
    Have fun you and the gang! I am sure we'll get some nice reports

Mao wins this ... pleeease skate well
    Mirai and Haruka second and third.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast