The Arms Above the Shoulders | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Arms Above the Shoulders

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm at work and can't take the time to hunt, but I'm thinking of checking Sandhu's programs. (The ones where he stays on his feet.) He has such deep training in ballet and other dance, and I can't remember offhand the details of his skates, but I'll bet he uses his arms the way they should be used.

I remember enjoying Browning in this regard (as in every other regard). He has an unfussy simplicity, and with his dance training, he combines grace with "guy-ness" in an especially convincing and appealing way.

Of course John Curry and Robin Cousins use arms splendidly. In fact, the first discussion of arms on male skaters that I remember is Dick Button comparing Cousins to Jan Hoffman, who as Button said used windmill arms.

To me, a very good skater uses arms for balance and at the same time using them as though not needing them for balance. Does that make sense? In other words, there's not an urgency or a precariousness about arm use.

If it's anything like ballet - and I'm sure it is - then I would imagine it's more like a very good skater doesn't have to use his/her arms for balance. Kind of what Janetfan was getting at by quoting Janet Lynn. If you can do all sorts of difficult moves without using your arms than it frees you to use your arms for choreo and emphasis, instead of balance.

Flailing Arms (Dick Buttons's description) I think is used to attract the judges and fans on the tempo of the music. I believe the use of arms should flow with the flow of good basics to the tempo of the music. No need to 'sell' the program with flailing arms, but skaters do.

Jeremy (I'm not the biggest fan) did a most unusual SP at Rostel. The entire program including the non use of flailing arms was undersold. We are so used to programs that give us a bang, that when an unusual one comes along, we don't get it. I'm going to watch it again on Youtube. I hope it's there. Maybe Dungeon and Sato are into something very new to figure skating.

I believe all these kids have their own personalities and should be allowed to show them. As Weir would say, I gotta be me.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Flailing Arms (Dick Buttons's description) I think is used to attract the judges and fans on the tempo of the music. I believe the use of arms should flow with the flow of good basics to the tempo of the music. No need to 'sell' the program with flailing arms, but skaters do.

Jeremy (I'm not the biggest fan) did a most unusual SP at Rostel. The entire program including the non use of flailing arms was undersold. We are so used to programs that give us a bang, that when an unusual one comes along, we don't get it. I'm going to watch it again on Youtube. I hope it's there. Maybe Dungeon and Sato are into something very new to figure skating.

I believe all these kids have their own personalities and should be allowed to show them. As Weir would say, I gotta be me.

Well, it's definitely not arm flailing. It's very controlled and deliberate. I still don't know if I like it. Parts of it very much but I feel like some of the choreo comes off as unusual and suprising in a good way and other parts just bizzarre but somehow not particularly original. Like when he flaps his arms in front of him. He does it twice. I don't particularly like that moment and I don't really find it creative. As a whole, yes, I just watched it again and it is true that the program is something different.

I think his LP reflects his personality better and he seems to enjoy it more.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:disapp: I've gone from being intrigued and having high hopes for Jeremy's SP when I saw the clip from it's debut at ATS ( wasn't it ?) to real dismay at the showing at NHK. He's gone in entirely the opposite direction from the one I imagined he'd need to take to develop it . It seems to me that the hand and arm movements have become even more florid ( perhaps because he's more comfortable with them), and all the ones that have nothing to do with Tango or Flamenco are still there. I thought when I first saw it ,if he pared the hands down a bit , channeled a bit more of the Flamenco /Tango macho attitude , and kept the costume simple..even severe, so as not to distract..he'd have a real winner.

The absolute kiss of death for me, was the dreadful costume. I couldn't believe it was Jeremy. At best , all those half and half costumes ever say to me is ,I don't know who or what I am, or here's another split personality..and cause my sister and I to say to each other " Another half-a**ed costume. " ..It's just a double distraction from the skating. I'll never warm to this program in this incarnation. When I think of the perfection of A Day in The Life , I feel really sad.

Sorry if I'm OT with the costume, it's just part of the whole no-no , to me.

But back to the arms..No, it's not just meaningless flailing ,like we've seen from say, Plushenko and all his emulators ,in the past ( and there are plenty of other examples )..This is purposeful, but it sure doesn't complement the skating.

Last edited:
It looked like a gold medal for Cupcake at the 2003 Worlds but then Kwan displayed the eye popping Morozov arms to the footwork in her LP and she got the gold instead. Morozov footwork and matching arms became the big thing since then. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes Lepisto's smooth even kield footwork a nice divergence.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
:disapp: I've gone from being intrigued and having high hopes for Jeremy's SP when I saw the clip from it's debut at ATS ( wasn't it ?) to real dismay at the showing at NHK. He's gone in entirely the opposite direction from the one I imagined he'd need to take to develop it . It seems to me that the hand and arm movements have become even more florid ( perhaps because he's more comfortable with them), and all the ones that have nothing to do with Tango or Flamenco are still there. I thought when I first saw it ,if he pared the hands down a bit , channeled a bit more of the Flamenco /Tango macho attitude , and kept the costume simple..even severe, so as not to distract..he'd have a real winner.

The absolute kiss of death for me, was the dreadful costume. I couldn't believe it was Jeremy. At best , all those half and half costumes ever say to me is ,I don't know who or what I am, or here's another split personality..and cause my sister and I to say to each other " Another half-a**ed costume. " ..It's just a double distraction from the skating. I'll never warm to this program in this incarnation. When I think of the perfection of A Day in The Life , I feel really sad.

Sorry if I'm OT with the costume, it's just part of the whole no-no , to me.

But back to the arms..No, it's not just meaningless flailing ,like we've seen from say, Plushenko and all his emulators ,in the past ( and there are plenty of other examples )..This is purposeful, but it sure doesn't complement the skating.

NHK was a bit let down but I think in COR, he's back. I agree that the costume was a disastrous choice. It took away some of the beauty of this program, not just distracting. Now I have to use the split mind technic to ignore his costume and enjoy his skating.;)

I do find beauty in this program. If you see the dance with the same music on the floor, Jeremy is getting there. His arms paced amazingly with the pace of the music, which I find it's so hard to do for such a fast piece. I love the footwork sequence section, love the opening of this program which was all about the arm and hand movements. The ending was changed from the ATS version and it's good now. I also love the face touching with a quick head turn right on the beat of the music - I know a lot of you disliked the face touching so much.:p I have to say that the fact that he could do this kind of dance on ice is just amazing!

Last edited:
Are you Mr Button?:)
No, definitely not. I just couldn't remember Sokolova's name with my old age fleeting memory. If you remember the competition, Kwan won basically on wild arms footwork, Sokolova was good though, Fumie rose to the ocasion, and Sasha choked trying to do a 3x3.