Pairs Free Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Program

burntBREAD

Medalist
This has been a very solid competition overall thus far (apart from the splatfest of the men's FS)

Does this mean T/T, along with S/H, make both the JGPF and the GPF?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's almost impossible to get Japanese citizenship unless you are basically a Japanese person.

Ah makes sense. Well, I guess that's too bad. Maybe though they'll work something out. JSF seems to be an influential bunch...

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
1 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 182.70 1 1
2 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN JPN 165.47 2 3
3 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG USA 162.85 4 2
4 Katarina GERBOLDT / Alexander ENBERT RUS 160.42 3 4
5 Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS CAN 154.67 5 5
6 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 150.85 7 6
7 Britney SIMPSON / Nathan MILLER USA 145.78 6 7
8 Tatiana NOVIK / Mikhail KUZNETSOV RUS 136.85 8 8

:)

missysays

On the Ice
That was certainly a beautifully skated long program by Kavaguti and Smirnov. Really gorgeous music and choreography and technical elements all executed, but...

There's something about the two of them that makes me uncomfortable. She is so emaciated and the expression on her face is so removed- almost dead. The close up of her face at the very end of the program- she looks like a woman who is being pursued by a man she is not emotionally interested in so she's thinking of god and country to get through it. This in contrast with his swarthy and almost overpowering attempts to gain that attention- especially when he tries to kiss her cheek. There's just an emotional disconnect that I feel between the two of them- even when their bodies are skating in unison.

hongligl

Final Flight
It's almost impossible to get Japanese citizenship unless you are basically a Japanese person. And you can't do dual citizenship with Japan past 18 years old, I do remember an article though that said that T/T were already over it, that Takahashi wanted to win several World titles instead :laugh:...she's really precocious, just look at her after their SP, so small yet so fiery

That's not true. My friends got Japanese citizenship, and they were Chinese.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
kawaguti/smirnov didn't get credit for a lift at the end of their program(that explains their low TES). That was a beautiful program.

hongligl

Final Flight
This has been a very solid competition overall thus far (apart from the splatfest of the men's FS)

I think that S/H has made it to both for sure. As for T/T, it all depends on how the Russian pair skate at TEB. If they had a disaster and fall off the podium or they were third with very low total marks, then T/T will be in.

By the way, I really like the Italian pair, first time seeing them. They were very smooth and had very good performance skills.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Qualifiers so far:

Pang/Tong
Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
Iliushechkina/Maisuradze (at 24 points, they are tied with Sui/Cong and Takahashi/Tran, but their win at Skate Canada puts them in the final)

Likely to qualify next week: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Bazarova/Larionov

Sui/Cong beat Takahashi/Tran on the tie-breaker, (341.54 to 321.13), so Sui/Cong will likely qualify for the SGP, T/T will be first alternates.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yay Protocols.

KS -- Level 1 on their triple twist and death spiral. AND apparently they got zero points on a lift...wonder why? Otherwise pretty good GOE and PCS.
T/T -- Got almost all level 4s except for one of their lifts. That is what helped them, along with slightly higher PCS, which I'm fine with. Their GOE was actually less than E/L.
E/L -- Level 3 and 4 except for the death spiral (Level 2) and triple twist (Level 2). They basically lost major points on a DGs (on the 3T SBS (when she fell) and 2A). Wow they might have been closer to 115 if they had those elements.

burntBREAD

Medalist

Sorry for the use of hyperbole, I said "basically" like a Japanese person, I know most of the ways to become a citizen involves your ancestry and you have to live in Japan for quite a significant amount of time and know a lot about the language and culture. If I recall correctly, it is quite strict so your friend did a very good job attaining a citizenship! Point is, I don't think Tran could/want to become a citizen, I think him and Takahashi still train in Canada

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Thoughts:

--This was a very pleasant competition to watch. (I missed the first Russian couple and most of the Italian pair, though). I had low expectations due to so many "newbies" in the lineup, but wow, even with mistakes, the pairs delivered.

--K/S were gorgeous. Well deserved first place. I have never been a particular fan of theirs, but watching this, I almost forgot it was a competition, it was mesmerizing. And I don't think Clair de Lune is the easiest piece of music to interpret well. I think it will be very competitive with the best this season, as long as it's skated pretty cleanly. I AM BUMMED that they will not be at the GPF Final in Beijing, as I would love to see this program live. :cry:

--Loved E/L, they just need to get this program cleaned up. And yes, change that death spiral to something more aesthetic.

--Impressed with everybody else. T/T of course. G/E--wow, in such a short time, Fairy Pairs Godmother has worked them into a pretty competent pair already. Agreed they have a future. Also liked the young Canadian and American pairs--hope they stick with training and getting more experience, and look forward to seeing them next season.

--Judging seems basically OK for the FS.

--Lots of well-dressed couples. No ugly outfits that I saw. Really liked Yuko's dress.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

You are oversimplifying. My understanding is that Japan has a residency minimum time requirement for applicants for citizenship, and due to living and training in Canada, there is no way that Mervin can qualify in time for the Olympics. Due to lack of suitable elite-level coaching in Japan for pairs, moving to Japan and training is not a realistic option for them, either. Unless the appropriate Japanese government entity makes a special exemption (I do not know if their regulations allow for exemptions), Mervin won't become a Japanese citizen and so the 2014 Olympics is out for them. It is unfortunate.

Another issue: I believe Mervin is a Canadian citizen (someone correct me if wrong), and while Canada allows dual citizenship, for adults Japan does not. Mervin may not wish to give up his current citizenship, which carries some value. One cannot say this is the same state of affairs for holders of Chinese citizenship, many of whom are doing everything they can to find and carry a different country's passport. ;)

gold12345

Medalist
There's something about the two of them that makes me uncomfortable. She is so emaciated and the expression on her face is so removed- almost dead. The close up of her face at the very end of the program- she looks like a woman who is being pursued by a man she is not emotionally interested in so she's thinking of god and country to get through it. This in contrast with his swarthy and almost overpowering attempts to gain that attention- especially when he tries to kiss her cheek. There's just an emotional disconnect that I feel between the two of them- even when their bodies are skating in unison.

:laugh: That sounds so dramatic, but I kind of agree. Yuko's expression at the end was weird... very cold and distant. I liked her long dress, mainly because it drew attention away from the fact that she looks sickly. :scowl:

The position of K/S's last lift just didn't work (awkward and unfortunate looking) and I'm assuming they received no points for it because it came to a grinding halt. They also had a collision on the triple twist, like usual. Aside from that, they were easily the class of the field.

Takahashi & Tran get rewarded because they are one of the only teams that has good stretch, especially in lifts, and doesn't have random bent legs everywhere. Still, for them to win two GP medals with only a throw 3T and a double twist says something about the qualify of the field this year.

I'm happy for Evora & Ladwig to have received their first ever GP medal. It wasn't that great of a skate for them, but they didn't need it in this weaker field. I know they are concentrated on levels and what not, but I don't like that new bent leg position on the star lift. The death spiral was wonky and bent kneed. I don't love the program, but I do love that music, no matter how overused.

After the super low scoring yesterday, it's like the programs were all scored high today to make up for it. :laugh:

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
You are oversimplifying. My understanding is that Japan has a residency minimum time requirement for applicants for citizenship, and due to living and training in Canada, there is no way that Mervin can qualify in time for the Olympics. Due to lack of suitable elite-level coaching in Japan for pairs, moving to Japan and training is not a realistic option for them, either. Unless the appropriate Japanese government entity makes a special exemption (I do not know if their regulations allow for exemptions), Mervin won't become a Japanese citizen and so the 2014 Olympics is out for them. It is unfortunate.

Another issue: I believe Mervin is a Canadian citizen (someone correct me if wrong), and while Canada allows dual citizenship, for adults Japan does not. Mervin may not wish to give up his current citizenship, which carries some value. One cannot say this is the same state of affairs for holders of Chinese citizenship, many of whom are doing everything they can to find and carry a different country's passport. ;)

Thanks for explaning what I was trying to say!

blair

Rinkside
K/S had two lifts with adagio portions. I think they're only allowed one lift that has a stop in rotation, hence the invalid element.

I must say how refreshing it is to see a Moskvina team use one piece of music throughout the LP; and such a simple and beautiful piece as Clair du Lune! Love it!

burntBREAD

Medalist
Can anyone find a video of T/T or K/S's FS? The person who uploaded everyone else's didn't upload theirs...or Agnes/Akiko's FS, for that matter.

lavender

Record Breaker
That was certainly a beautifully skated long program by Kavaguti and Smirnov. Really gorgeous music and choreography and technical elements all executed, but...

I agree. I don't know what it is but something about Kavaguti that i just can't warm up to.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Uh... just noticed that Smirnov "bites" Kavaguti a la vampire style at the end of their FS. This isn't Twilight, folks.