Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Free Program

I much prefer Gerboldt and Enbert to Bazarova/Larionov and Iliuschechkina/Maisuradze.. and even Kavaguti and Smirnov actually

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    They have good transitions and good PCS overall, deservedly

Their tech might not be as hard, but I think they get lots of +GOE, especially on the spins and lifts. We'll have to see the protocols. I really like them though, too bad they can't go to the Olympics!
    Because Mervin isn't a Japanese citizen? Couldn't he get citizenship in time?

That said, I bet E/L lost some points too. That D/S did not do them any favors. And I think T/T have some great positions and transitions too.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I really like the top 4 pairs at this event. Glad to see it has turned out to be a good competition so far.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Because Mervin isn't a Japanese citizen? Couldn't he get citizenship in time?

That said, I bet E/L lost some points too. That D/S did not do them any favors. And I think T/T have some great positions and transitions too.
    It's almost impossible to get Japanese citizenship unless you are basically a Japanese person. And you can't do dual citizenship with Japan past 18 years old, I do remember an article though that said that T/T were already over it, that Takahashi wanted to win several World titles instead ...she's really precocious, just look at her after their SP, so small yet so fiery

Custom Title
    kavaguti/smirnov-great skate despite the hiccups,
    i showed enjoyed the program. nice, flowing, drew you in. it should get a great score and that program put a stamp on ending of the pairs. what a way to end it.
    they won- no doubt about it. all it is the score they will get for that beautiful program.

Custom Title
    This has been a very solid competition overall thus far (apart from the splatfest of the men's FS)

Does this mean T/T, along with S/H, make both the JGPF and the GPF?

It's almost impossible to get Japanese citizenship unless you are basically a Japanese person.
    Ah makes sense. Well, I guess that's too bad. Maybe though they'll work something out. JSF seems to be an influential bunch...

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Evora/Ladwig won the TES, but Kavaguti/Smirnov obviously won the PCS.

1 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 182.70 1 1
    2 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN JPN 165.47 2 3
    3 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG USA 162.85 4 2
    4 Katarina GERBOLDT / Alexander ENBERT RUS 160.42 3 4
    5 Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS CAN 154.67 5 5
    6 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 150.85 7 6
    7 Britney SIMPSON / Nathan MILLER USA 145.78 6 7
    8 Tatiana NOVIK / Mikhail KUZNETSOV RUS 136.85 8 8

Custom Title
    That was certainly a beautifully skated long program by Kavaguti and Smirnov. Really gorgeous music and choreography and technical elements all executed, but...

There's something about the two of them that makes me uncomfortable. She is so emaciated and the expression on her face is so removed- almost dead. The close up of her face at the very end of the program- she looks like a woman who is being pursued by a man she is not emotionally interested in so she's thinking of god and country to get through it. This in contrast with his swarthy and almost overpowering attempts to gain that attention- especially when he tries to kiss her cheek. There's just an emotional disconnect that I feel between the two of them- even when their bodies are skating in unison.

Custom Title
    It's almost impossible to get Japanese citizenship unless you are basically a Japanese person. And you can't do dual citizenship with Japan past 18 years old, I do remember an article though that said that T/T were already over it, that Takahashi wanted to win several World titles instead ...she's really precocious, just look at her after their SP, so small yet so fiery
    That's not true. My friends got Japanese citizenship, and they were Chinese.

Custom Title
    kawaguti/smirnov didn't get credit for a lift at the end of their program(that explains their low TES). That was a beautiful program.

Custom Title
    This has been a very solid competition overall thus far (apart from the splatfest of the men's FS)

I think that S/H has made it to both for sure. As for T/T, it all depends on how the Russian pair skate at TEB. If they had a disaster and fall off the podium or they were third with very low total marks, then T/T will be in.

By the way, I really like the Italian pair, first time seeing them. They were very smooth and had very good performance skills.

Custom Title
    Qualifiers so far:

Pang/Tong
    Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
    Iliushechkina/Maisuradze (at 24 points, they are tied with Sui/Cong and Takahashi/Tran, but their win at Skate Canada puts them in the final)

Likely to qualify next week: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Bazarova/Larionov

Sui/Cong beat Takahashi/Tran on the tie-breaker, (341.54 to 321.13), so Sui/Cong will likely qualify for the SGP, T/T will be first alternates.

Yay Protocols.

KS -- Level 1 on their triple twist and death spiral. AND apparently they got zero points on a lift...wonder why? Otherwise pretty good GOE and PCS.
    T/T -- Got almost all level 4s except for one of their lifts. That is what helped them, along with slightly higher PCS, which I'm fine with. Their GOE was actually less than E/L.
    E/L -- Level 3 and 4 except for the death spiral (Level 2) and triple twist (Level 2). They basically lost major points on a DGs (on the 3T SBS (when she fell) and 2A). Wow they might have been closer to 115 if they had those elements.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast