Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56

Thread: Age-appropriate programs

  1. #1
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,092

    Age-appropriate programs

    All this discussion on how Murakami is very cutesy, and how out of the older young women, only Alenka Leonova can pull off cute. On the same token, there are junior girls who try to act more mature on the ice. Some have even said that they skate to Carmen because they can relate to her.

    Are there certain pieces of music that should just not be attempted by some skaters, because of their age?

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,041
    I don't know....I like Murakami in general however I'm not fond of overly cutesy programs on anyone...not even Alena. Doesn't matter the age for me or the person.

  3. #3
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,545
    I don't like seriously done Argentine tangos or sambas done by preteen dancers.

    And I never want to see Barbie Girl skated by a pair again where the guy is bald and the girl looks 13.

    It isn't so much what age they are; it's what age they look like.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    263
    Am I the only one who was more disturbed by 16 yo Kanako skating to Be Italian (for her EX)??? I have seen it a number of times, so I am getting used to it now - but for the first time I saw it, I was shocked that her coach, who's been looking after her since she was 5 yo or something, had given her the programme. Maybe they did not bother try to translate / understand the lyrics...
    Last edited by mot; 11-24-2010 at 06:24 PM.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I think any skater under 16 is far too young to do any interpretation. Carmen by story would be a laugh, but Carmen by music is possible. I would be more interested in young girls with good musicality, good line, and solid tricks to be promising youngsters (boys too!).

  6. #6
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    What about this 15-year-old?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmUW8wPB0s

    But your point about character interpretation vs. musical interpretation is very good. I think Mirai's Carmen is a good example of decent musical interpretation but the Carmen character wasn't really present.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    And I never want to see Barbie Girl skated by a pair again where the guy is bald and the girl looks 13.

    It isn't so much what age they are; it's what age they look like.
    LMAO, and I know whom you are referring to as well, ITA!

    Okay, after picking myself up from the ground after laughing so much, I just wanted to say it all depends on the person if they can pull off a much more mature program than his/her age.

    It's not about chronological age, but rather whether that individual has experienced enough in life to actual feel what the program means, and imho Oksana Baiul was that exception because of all she has gone through in life at such a young age. Therefore all her programs were totally believeable. She touched my heart over & over again ad infinitum.

  8. #8
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    What about this 15-year-old?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmUW8wPB0s

    But your point about character interpretation vs. musical interpretation is very good. I think Mirai's Carmen is a good example of decent musical interpretation but the Carmen character wasn't really present.
    She is an excellent example of using the music. I thought she was great. No need to kill her at the end of the program.

  9. #9
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    What about this 15-year-old?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmUW8wPB0s
    According to Christine Brennan’s book, The Edge of Glory, Frank Carroll had a whale of a task in talking Michelle’s parents into letting her perform in theatrical make-up. The first time Michelle performed that program, Dick Button literally did not recognized her.

    For her part, Michelle confided that one of her big thrills on the COI tour the year before was hanging out with Nancy Kerrigan and Oksana Baiul learning all about the wonderful world of make-up.

    As for playing a role, when Frank and Lori suggested the story of Salome, Michelle thought that was cool – until she actually found out what the story was about, and then she freaked out. In the first version of the choreography she actually skated around with her palm up waiter-style, as if she were carrying the head of John the Baptist on a platter.

  10. #10
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by mot View Post
    Am I the only one who was more disturbed by 16 yo Kanako skating to Be Italian (for her EX)??? I have seen it a number of times, so I am getting used to it now - but for the first time I saw it, I was shocked that her coach, who's been looking after her since she was 5 yo or something, had given her the programme. Maybe they did not bother try to translate / understand the lyrics...
    Please - that program - "Be Italian" is greattttt!!

    I love it - but more importantly, Cincuanta loves it.

    A stroke of genius to flatter Speedy that way. Or are you one of those fans who thinks skating in the CoP era is non-political

    Here is the charming vixen, the saucy baggage , the one and only Miss Kanako.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvD0wedqYHw

    From the applause the crowd at Skate America loved Kanako's gala.

  11. #11
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,545
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDBuOkNfvo

    Here's a very young skater, skating an adult themed program (Joanna Ng, Skate Canada 1990)
    The actual skating starts at about the 3 minute mark in the clip.

    In 1990, Skate Canada included an Interpretative competition, where no jumps harder than doubles could be done. Joanna won!

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    263
    Thank you, dorispulaski. She's amazing. Funnily enough, I was not too bothered by her performance - I guess the lyrics of Be Italian that botherd me the most?

    janetfan, I think I can understand if the choice of music was somehow political. But it does not make me appreciate the choice personally though. Perhaps I am a bit too old fashioned and protective? Also being a Japanese ex-pat, I am often a touch too sensitive about my fellow country folks' casual approach towards foreign languages - hence my concern over their misinterpretation / ignorance of the lyrics. Time again, I might be too naive.

    Oh, I do often get embarrassed by stereotypical portrayal and caricature of anything 'oriental' by non-oriental people too!

  13. #13
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    According to Christine Brennan’s book, The Edge of Glory, Frank Carroll had a whale of a task in talking Michelle’s parents into letting her perform in theatrical make-up. The first time Michelle performed that program, Dick Button literally did not recognized her.

    For her part, Michelle confided that one of her big thrills on the COI tour the year before was hanging out with Nancy Kerrigan and Oksana Baiul learning all about the wonderful world of make-up.

    As for playing a role, when Frank and Lori suggested the story of Salome, Michelle thought that was cool – until she actually found out what the story was about, and then she freaked out. In the first version of the choreography she actually skated around with her palm up waiter-style, as if she were carrying the head of John the Baptist on a platter.
    Haha! Thanks for that Mathman. I have not read Christine's book, weirdly enough. Anyway, I didn't know any of that background info.

    She is an excellent example of using the music. I thought she was great. No need to kill her at the end of the program.
    Yes, she is. And I had to eat my words because I was afraid at the beginning of last season that Carmen wasn't a good choice for her. Some criticized her because she didn't give a sense of "tragedy" but that wasn't the intent of the program.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,957
    I think Rachael Flatt has always done a good job picking age appropriate music, especially when she was competing at senior nationals as a tiny 14 and 15 year old. Her music was always nice and sophisticated, but suitable for a young girl her age, and it never seemed like she was trying to be too cutesy or too grown up.

  15. #15
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,092
    I do believe skaters have the right and responsibility to choose music that makes them want to skate to everyday. In the end, we're not the ones with these skaters at 3 am, while they put on the orange belt, to skate their program music. However, having said that, their coaching/choreography team needs to better assess how their skaters' programs will be received. When Sasha insisted on skating to Carmen in 2002, I thought, wow she's a little young for this. Even Irina, at 23, when she chose Tosca for 2002, seemed a bit "immature" to me, to be skating to something so serious. I preferred her when she skated to flamenco. Then there's Tara Lipinski, skating in 1994 to Samson and Delilah's Bacchanale. There's just a potential for some eyebrows to be raised. Maybe that's what they're after, but sometimes, to me, it comes across like those little girls in pageants participating in a swimsuit contest.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •