Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Men - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26, 10:50 am EST

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I don't understand, why didn't Brian tack on the combo on his 3Lz?
    Right. Should have done that. He could have easily tacked on a 3T. Now he's in fifth which jeopardizes his chances at making the GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Right. Should have done that. He could have easily tacked on a 3T. Now he's in fifth which jeopardizes his chances at making the GPF.
    I know! I don't understand when skaters tack on combos after a bad jump-- the combo is the biggest point-getter in the SP and you should make it as high-quality as possible, I know that some skaters like Mirai will put the combo on their second jump if their first jump is two-footed or something

meh - what a bunch of disappointing SP's.....hope the LP's have a bit more sizzle tomorrow.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the updates, guys. Is there a link to the results page? Looking forward to watching it later.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I know! I don't understand when skaters tack on combos after a bad jump-- the combo is the biggest point-getter in the SP and you should make it as high-quality as possible, I know that some skaters like Mirai will put the combo on their second jump if their first jump is two-footed or something
    Because he did a 4t+1t = jump combo already. Repeating an element will lead to the 3Lz => 0

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Because he did a 4t+1t = jump combo already. Repeating an element will lead to the 3Lz => 0
    No, I meant why he decided to put the 1T after the bad landing of the 4T instead of leaving it for later-- though I guess maybe the judges would have given him more -GOE because they mgiht have thought he would get the combo deduction?

Custom Title
    Yeah, big mental mistake. Should have left the 4T alone and then tacked on the 3T after the 3Lz. This cost him big time.

Custom Title
    okay skate from all men, can do better, however wish them the best for tomorrow.

Highlights for me was Chafik and Taka. Florent's jumps were great otherwise I felt his program was a little empty. He front loaded his program with jumps. To me it was like he was checking off his elements and doing nothing in between other than his spins and footwork. I don't know his program just did not sing for me. JMO

He is a great technician though.

Custom Title
    Yeah, I came in with high hopes, then they were dashed when not ALL of the top men skated clean. The very best competitions are when *everybody* skates clean, and you win!

That's why the Mens was so exciting for me at the Olympics ~ the top ones skated clean SPs ~ which set them up nicely for a neck & neck LP. You didn't know whom was going to win, whereas the Ladies was already over before it began. Jmho.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRIAN & KEVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING IT ON & SKATE C-L-E-A-N IN THE LP!!!! BRING YOUR QUADS AS WELL!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Jeopardizes??? His chances were slim to begin with in the first place. he has jeopardzed them in his first event already. Now, he is really toasted.

Custom Title
    Videos up already!

EDIT:
    I guess they hide thevideos on their profile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML25Z...rSM&playnext=1
    That's Kozuka's, and you have to go to the playlist to see the other videos

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    No, I meant why he decided to put the 1T after the bad landing of the 4T instead of leaving it for later-- though I guess maybe the judges would have given him more -GOE because they mgiht have thought he would get the combo deduction?
    He was obviously trying to do more than just a 1t since single jump isn't even allowed as part of a jump combo in the SP. Since he didn't fall on the 4t, leaving it as it is and then do the 3Lz+3t instead means his 4t become the solo jump and was not preceded by connecting steps as required, therefore, will likely attract -3 across the board, which he wouldn't necessarily if he completes it as a combo, albeit, he would need at least a 2t. It's all split second decision, you can't blame a skater like Joubert for having to make up his minds within seconds like that since it's obviously so much easier to be an armchair critique but not so when it's you who is down there in the rink.

Custom Title
    If Brian had fell on his 4t, he would naturally want to add a 3t to this 3Lz, makes every sense as the 4t will most likely be -3 GOE anyway. Also, when he didn't fall on the 4t, he needs to also consider that he may not land his 3Lz or land it well enough to make it into a jump combo with 3t, hence the strategy is to always get your jump combo out of the way ASAP and the fact he didn't fall on 4t means logically, he should try to do the jump combo there. He is a veteran skater, he knows what he is doing.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Chafik Besseghier was the best. He can really goes places in the future. France has a deep Men's field!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast