Ladies - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26: 12:45 pm EST | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26: 12:45 pm EST

fairly4

Medalist
it depends on final total--if alissa medals in 3rd she is in regardless of who wins.she will have 26 to a 24.
both
alissa finishes 4th depends on who wins, kiira, mirai, cynthia-depends on final total
alissa 24 and theyw ill have 24 so will go down to final score.
i just hope alissa medals comes in 3rd --hoping for 2nd praying for 1st for alissa.

burntBREAD

Medalist
1 Kiira KORPI
FIN
61.39 1
2 Mirai NAGASU
USA
58.72 2
3 Haruka IMAI
JPN
58.38 3
4 Alissa CZISNY
USA
55.50 4
5 Fumie SUGURI
JPN
50.76 5
6 Cynthia PHANEUF
CAN
50.51 6
7 Mao ASADA
JPN
50.10 7
8 Sonia LAFUENTE
ESP
46.81 8
9 Sarah HECKEN
GER
46.73 9
10 Candice DIDIER
FRA
46.06 10
11 Mae Berenice MEITE
FRA
41.69 11
12 Lena MARROCCO
FRA
38.39 12

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thanks, Burnt!
I thought Mirai was third.

Go Mirai and Alissa tomorrow!!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing clips of yet another new Japanese skater people are excited about.

Also, seems like Fumie did pretty good! Good for her.

Not surprised to see Cynthia 6th, no offense, but she could come back.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Sorry to see the French girls in the last 3 spots. I'm sure Meite and Marrocco were nervous, first GP in front of their home crowd, and Didier was a bit underscored, but probably would have landed in 8-10 anyways.

herios

Medalist
Did Mirai get a wrong edge call on her lutz?

I think so. She was clearly gliding on an inside edge into it and switched just barely on an outside edge right on the take-off. If I was a judge, I would've nailed her for sure...

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Did Mirai get a wrong edge call on her lutz?

I dunno - but her spins did not look better than everyone else the way they did last season.
I think she is only at 80-85% right now.

I think she will be faster and spinning better come Natls.

Not so sure about Mao - but her skating is still so beautiful. Hope she gets stronger in time for Natls and Worlds.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I thinbk so. She was clearly gliding on an inside edge into it and switched just barely on an outside edge right on the take-off. If I was a judge, I would've nailed her for sure...

What, for gliding in on an inside edge? But tons of skaters do that...Rachael I believe has the most prominent inside-to-outside lutz technique...it's...unique :biggrin:

But I think Mirai really needs to fix that lutz, it's just barely a flutz/flat edge, I remember watching I think Robin Cousins at the Olympics and he said that her lutz was one of the few that could be corrected.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I thinbk so. She was clearly gliding on an inside edge into it and switched just barely on an outside edge right on the take-off. If I was a judge, I would've nailed her for sure...

Why would you have nailed her? If she was on an outside edge on the take-off, it was a lutz. The pre-takeoff glide edge doesn't matter.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Mao is not doing great. I think she should have taken the season off, after her roller coaster ride last year. If she really need to rework all her jump, take one or two season off. =( if she keep blowing up all her jumps, not even her PCS will save her at national.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I must say I have not seen a Triple Loop - T.Toe combo in ages!

Very impressive. It's quite a rare combo, both in the ladies and men division.

It's a tricky combo, sometimes the curve of the landing hinder skaters from being able to tap a triple after wards.

Haruka carries quite a good distance on her loop, and did the combo right in front of the judges, too. Impressive ;)

Sackie

Medalist
Would not be surprised to see Mao pull out before the long program. She really has nothing to gain here! She really would be better off going back to training.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
What I would like to know is why are Mirai's PCS scores are not at least in the 7's. She has very nice presentation and transitions. Her Ina Bauer into the double axel is beautiful. I still think her spins are better than the others even with the problems today.

burntBREAD

Medalist
What I would like to know is why are Mirai's PCS scores are not at least in the 7's. She has very nice presentation and transitions. Her Ina Bauer into the double axel is beautiful. I still think her spins are better than the others even with the problems today.

She's slowly but surely moving up there. Her SS was 7 and her IN was higher than that, forgot the exact number though (it was barely above 7). Everything else was very high sixes, in the 6.9s expect transitions with still was a relatively high 6.

This person is apparently at the competition, some tweets about the protocols:
http://twitter.com/#!/patinaggio

Layfan

Record Breaker
What, for gliding in on an inside edge? But tons of skaters do that...Rachael I believe has the most prominent inside-to-outside lutz technique...it's...unique :biggrin:

But I think Mirai really needs to fix that lutz, it's just barely a flutz/flat edge, I remember watching I think Robin Cousins at the Olympics and he said that her lutz was one of the few that could be corrected.

Interesting. I bet she is working on it but it's not so easy. It must be so complicated - do I concentrate on fixing my lutz or accomplishing a triple triple? Can I do both?
Mirai is clearly suffering from her late training start. Not only has she been unable to iron out kinks that kept from her reaching the top last season but now the parts of her skating that were already top-notch - speed and spins - are a bit off. I hope Janetfan is right and that she will at least recover those elements by nats.

I predict two scenarios tomorrow:

1. Kiira. Shocks by giving a clean long, judges go gaga and give her an astronomical score.
2. Mirai. Channels her annoyance about her SP score into a "oh-yeah-i'll-show-them" cleanish peformance that keeps her second.
2. Alissa. She seems to be determined to not completely fall apart so she'll be cleanish and rise to third on the strength of having the best spins/spirals in the competition, which will really show in the long.

Or.

1. Mirai. Channels her annoyance about her SP score into a "oh-yeah-i'll-show-them" cleanish peformance that wins her the gold as Kiira fumbles and drops from the podim.
2. Alissa. She seems to be determined to not completely fall apart so she'll be cleanish and rise to second on the strength of having the best spins/spirals in the competition, which will really show in the long.
3. That Japanese skater who I'm about to discover on YouTube. :)

Course, that Japanese skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-YouTube could just rise to the occasions and beat everyone as the others fumble. But I hope they don't fumble.

Not discounting Mao medaling but it just seems like whatever she is doing is not working at all. Her 3a seems iffier than ever yet she seems to be relying on it as she fixes her other jumps.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Interesting. I bet she is working on it but it's not so easy. It must be so complicated - do I concentrate on fixing my lutz or accomplishing a triple triple? Can I do both?
Mirai is clearly suffering from her late training start. Not only has she been unable to iron out kinks that kept from her reaching the top last season but now the parts of her skating that were already top-notch - speed and spins - are a bit off. I hope Janetfan is right and that she will at least recover those elements by nats.

I predict two scenarios tomorrow:

1. Kiira. Shocks by giving a clean long, judges go gaga and give her an astronomical score.
2. Mirai. Channels her annoyance about her SP score into a "oh-yeah-i'll-show-them" cleanish peformance that keeps her second.
2. Alissa. She seems to be determined to not completely fall apart so she'll be cleanish and rise to third on the strength of having the best spins/spirals in the competition, which will really show in the long.

Or.

1. Mirai. Channels her annoyance about her SP score into a "oh-yeah-i'll-show-them" cleanish peformance that wins her the gold as Kiira fumbles and drops from the podim.
2. Alissa. She seems to be determined to not completely fall apart so she'll be cleanish and rise to second on the strength of having the best spins/spirals in the competition, which will really show in the long.
3. That Japanese skater who I'm about to discover on YouTube. :)

Course, that Japanese skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-YouTube could just rise to the occasions and beat everyone as the others fumble. But I hope they don't fumble.

Not discounting Mao medaling but it just seems like whatever she is doing is not working at all. Her 3a seems iffier than ever yet she seems to be relying on it as she fixes her other jumps.

"That-Japanese-skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-Youtube" a.k.a. Haruka Imai got chacked by the guy who uploads really fast! Only her old stuff is on there since from Skate Canada and earlier before... :cry:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Has Kiira ever done a clean long program that included all her planned triples?

I'm also a little :scratch: on why Mirai's score was a bit low.

Phaneuf also.

Layfan

Record Breaker
"That-Japanese-skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-Youtube" a.k.a. Haruka Imai got chacked by the guy who uploads really fast! Only her old stuff is on there since from Skate Canada and earlier before... :cry:

Bummer, but I'll watch her old stuff.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Phaneuf also.

I have never seen her do that. But that is why when she does the judges will probably reward her big time.

burntBREAD

Medalist

Phaneuf also.

Mirai had little bobbles on her last few spins, and her layback probably didn't get the +2/3s this time, it was a little slow, traveled, and had a bobble at the beginning