Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26: 12:45 pm EST

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Interesting. I bet she is working on it but it's not so easy. It must be so complicated - do I concentrate on fixing my lutz or accomplishing a triple triple? Can I do both?
    Mirai is clearly suffering from her late training start. Not only has she been unable to iron out kinks that kept from her reaching the top last season but now the parts of her skating that were already top-notch - speed and spins - are a bit off. I hope Janetfan is right and that she will at least recover those elements by nats.

I predict two scenarios tomorrow:

1. Kiira. Shocks by giving a clean long, judges go gaga and give her an astronomical score.
    2. Mirai. Channels her annoyance about her SP score into a "oh-yeah-i'll-show-them" cleanish peformance that keeps her second.
    2. Alissa. She seems to be determined to not completely fall apart so she'll be cleanish and rise to third on the strength of having the best spins/spirals in the competition, which will really show in the long.

Or.

1. Mirai. Channels her annoyance about her SP score into a "oh-yeah-i'll-show-them" cleanish peformance that wins her the gold as Kiira fumbles and drops from the podim.
    2. Alissa. She seems to be determined to not completely fall apart so she'll be cleanish and rise to second on the strength of having the best spins/spirals in the competition, which will really show in the long.
    3. That Japanese skater who I'm about to discover on YouTube.

Course, that Japanese skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-YouTube could just rise to the occasions and beat everyone as the others fumble. But I hope they don't fumble.

Not discounting Mao medaling but it just seems like whatever she is doing is not working at all. Her 3a seems iffier than ever yet she seems to be relying on it as she fixes her other jumps.
    "That-Japanese-skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-Youtube" a.k.a. Haruka Imai got chacked by the guy who uploads really fast! Only her old stuff is on there since from Skate Canada and earlier before...

Custom Title
    Has Kiira ever done a clean long program that included all her planned triples?

I'm also a little on why Mirai's score was a bit low.

Phaneuf also.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    "That-Japanese-skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-Youtube" a.k.a. Haruka Imai got chacked by the guy who uploads really fast! Only her old stuff is on there since from Skate Canada and earlier before...
    Bummer, but I'll watch her old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post

Phaneuf also.
    I have never seen her do that. But that is why when she does the judges will probably reward her big time.

Custom Title

Phaneuf also.
    Mirai had little bobbles on her last few spins, and her layback probably didn't get the +2/3s this time, it was a little slow, traveled, and had a bobble at the beginning

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I have never seen her do that. But that is why when she does the judges will probably reward her big time.
    Ah, so the question is....will TEB be the time that Kiira manages to pull it off? Personally, I tend to doubt it.

Custom Title
    That-Japanese-skater-who-I'm-about-to-discover-on-Youtube" a.k.a. Haruka Imai got chacked by the guy who uploads really fast! Only her old stuff is on there since from Skate Canada and earlier before...
    Here's her program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIH779pfh-E

On the other hand, Fumie TOTALLY got ignored by fs youtube upload fans. Bummer.

Custom Title

Phaneuf also.
    Phaneuf's 3Lz had a hand down and was downgraded to a double and her combination was only a 3T+2T.

I would be shocked if Mirai's 3F didn't get the < call.

Custom Title
    I like where Mirai stands... She seems to get too nervous being in 1st, at least so far in her career, so 2nd may be helpful. Korpi will do her usual popping of jumps, so the door will be open.

I think Asada should stop doing 3As in the short, at least until she gets her flip/lutz issues squared away. Between the mental hurdle of the 3A and the uncertainty of the technique of several other jumps, she appears to be a wreck. When are Japanese Nationals? Hopefully she has enough time before then to at least get some of her jumps comfortable. If not, she'll have a nice long offseason to get things settled.

Ah, so the question is....will TEB be the time that Kiira manages to pull it off? Personally, I tend to doubt it.
    Course, I doubt it too. But this field is so iffy and unpredictable so it's a question of which iffy and unpredictable skater won't be iffy tomorrow. Could be Kiira.

And she has one of the few 3-3s...

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Regards Mao, I'm just po'ed at all the rule changes throughout the years that have affected Mao negatively (same goes for Kimmie Meissner as well). Now she tries to perfect her jumps when it isn't all that necessary, but I don't blame her, like I've said numerous times before I wouldn't be surprised to see the ISU blindside Mao again.
    Mao forsook a full aresnal of triples and huge GOE during the season she needed them most, although the established rules made the advantage obvious. She was about to fix her flutz (didn't get a call on her lutz at Worlds 09) & claimed the 3S was an easy jump she avoids as a matter of preference. Their omission, then, must have been guided by her own will, not ISU slamming new rules into her face from behind. GOE was always what it was. No rule changes up till 2010. It's just that her jumps lost the quality & consistency to garner huge points. Edge calls and UR? I wouldn't say Mao was "blindsided" since other skaters knew early enough to start fixing their technique during the off season before 07-08, something Mao opted out of. Again, a matter of choice.

I also don't see how Mao bombing because she tried to bite more than she could chew a single season is related to ISU's rule changes since the new rules would reward her 3A-centric layout handsomely. The rule changes give little incentive to go for a spectacular 3S instead of a lousy 3A.

Mao was never cheated by the ISU. She's making all these sudden changes because her goal is Sochi gold & the Russian phenoms are growing to be heavy, 7-triple, GOE-garnering threats (and there's so much talent that at least one will break through). This season will be difficult, but it's something she's enduring because she has a clear goal & the determination to push through. Enough with all this ISU-attacking-innocent-skaters prattle. It really annoys me (those stupid Youtube clips )

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    I like where Mirai stands... She seems to get too nervous being in 1st, at least so far in her career, so 2nd may be helpful. Korpi will do her usual popping of jumps, so the door will be open.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking! With the current standings, I expect to see Mirai on top, barring a complete meltdown (which we will probably see a-plenty from the other ladies) and if the issue's really all in her head, 2nd place sounds pretty good. This event might become interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Isn't there a big coach in France with the last name Didier too?
    Are you thinking of Didier Gailhaguet, the long time President of the French Skating Federaation? He was sanctioned by the ISU for his role in the Salt Lake City pairs scandal.

Ladies are doing really well with a 3T/3T combination this year. Its a bit higher in value than a 3Lz/2T, and judges seem to reward it in GOEs as well. Maybe they figure, at least it's a triple-triple.

take off the oven mitts
    imai seems to skate too horizontal to the ice for me--that posture bothers me. is that something suzuki, with the same coach, does as well? i think suzuki's spark and warmth made me overlook that posture problem, it seems more prominent when i watch imai. i do like imai's dress, and i liked her raymonda program from a while back. would like to see more of candice didier, although she can find a more attractive variant for her layback spin.

haven't watched all the programs but i feel korpi should have been penalized a bit more for that not-so-perfect jump. she may be tall and natural blonde but to me kostner has way more grace and better extension and i find her PCS less justifiable than kostner's. your mileage may vary.

i am starting to worry about mao not being in good enough shape to challenge for a spot on the japanese national team. with kanako's big splash, and suzuki and ando skating strong in the GP's, and of course imai and other up and comers... although who knows how much the injury might affect ando--this season i'm really warming to her, perhaps even preferring her to suzuki.

i don't want mao to withdraw from the long program here at TEB because i still hold out hope i'll get to see that beautiful program skated with unexpected oomph and decent jumps, but it may well be better for her to just pull the plug on this whole season, as some others have suggested.

i really like ciszny's short program this season. i want her to make GPF because that's more more opportunity to skate it clean and really showcase it. don't like this year's long program, and for all the praise her spirals and spins and extension get, i think they were stronger last season.

ETA:
    enough with the coach cams. at least disson has a contract with the singers to show their faces. why the need to show the coaches DURING the program? isn't there plenty of time for it in slow-mo and kiss and cry?
    Last edited by skfan; 11-26-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Custom Title
    Why would you have nailed her? If she was on an outside edge on the take-off, it was a lutz. The pre-takeoff glide edge doesn't matter.
    Because she just wobbled into it. It wasn't a clear outside edge. Period.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast