Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TEB Free Dance Virtual Program and Preview: Sat. Nov 27, 2:40 PM EST

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    She's a lot thinner now-perhaps she can do so!

BTW, I thought they were easy on Chock Zuerlein-not for mistakes, but for levels on the GW.
    I would have gone with Lev 4/Lev3 for them, not Lev4/Lev4, likewise for Cannuscio Lorello.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Hm, I am not that sure. Did you find them generous with Carron / Jones, or Chock / Zuerlain ?

yes, they had some errors, but they hit them quite hard I found.
    Yes, I thought they were generous across the board.

Custom Title
    Was not at all impressed with Riazanova/Tkachenko at Skate America, but they looked much better here (at least on my computer). Too bad Chock & Zuerlien had a fall kin their FD and didn't seem to really attack like R/T. Pechalat & Bourzat look comfortable with this FD routine and performed well, miles better than their initial debut at Nebelhorn. Zoueva bent my ear for a good 5 minutes at Skate America complaining that there were not enough competitions in North America for skaters/dancers to get feedback and competition experience like Europeans do.

Custom Title
    I have no idea how Ralph/Hill manage to train with that hideous arrangement of Summertime every day. I could barely get through their dance.

Chock/Zuerlein do nothing for me. Incredibly dull and they can't pull off the Cabaret theme. He's awkward, to boot.

Riazanova/Tkachenko are much improved this season. I really enjoyed the speed and commitment to their program, and for a team that hasn't been together very long, they connect well with each other. He's really very musical. Frankly, I thought the difference between them and C/Z should have been bigger. Now onto the bad...her hideous fake tan and the program itself.

Pechalat/Bourzat are IMO the best team so far this season (yes, better than D/W). Would love to see them take the GPF and Worlds! They have an elegance and soul to their skating that D/W do not have.

On the Ice
    How could one not have soul when skating to Chaplin? P/B's skating is beautiful, but their FD is the typical kind we are used to, so no wonder. D/W's tango is going to need a lot of work but their skating skills are going to grow tremedously if they can get it down. Exactly how to start off this next quad. The ice dance field seems so thin at the top with all the injuries.

Custom Title
    What does "soul" mean? That they feel the music? I think that's definitely true. That they can convey what they feel to the music? I think that P/B have major issues there. I see what they're trying to do, but it just doesn't move me. They don't hit particularly beautiful positions, they don't wow me with technical audacity, their programs don't thrill me as cohesive wholes, despite that fact they think of them that way. This is especially true of their SD, which manages to remove anything epic about "Dr. Zhivago." They deserve their wins, no begrudging them that, but if they become the world champions this year... I'll be massively disappointed in this year for dance.

Davis/White are playing the long game here. I think people expected some kind of instant domination without Virtue/Moir and with that not happening, we're sounding the alarms.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    She's a lot thinner now-perhaps she can do so!

BTW, I thought they were easy on Chock Zuerlein-not for mistakes, but for levels on the GW.
    I would have gone with Lev 4/Lev3 for them, not Lev4/Lev4, likewise for Cannuscio Lorello.
    I agree, the GW level was definitely too generous.
    Doris, can you explain the level 4 twizzles on C/L's SD? I thought they got level 3 on the same element in FD, why?? To get level 4, I thought they have to hold their blades too?

I enjoyed the dances of the lower teams, with the only exception being Ralph/Hill. I just can't get into that version of Summertime. They looked pissed off about their scores. Well, Kharis quickly put on a fake smile but Asher looked pissed off the whole time, lol.

I really like Carron and Jones' dance even though I've heard people say some negative things about it. Riazanova and Tkachenko's is sort of boring to me, but they are a good team. I like Chock and Zuerlein's but I agree with the poster who said that Greg is sorta awkward. I looove Pechalat and Bourzat even more than I did already this year. I'd like them to not let Davis and White run away with all the titles this season, esp. since I think Davis and White's programs are weaker this year than last. Don't get me wrong, I like Davis and White but it's more exciting when there's some tight competition (and I highly doubt Virtue and Moir will be 'better' for Worlds, although you never know.)

Custom Title
    To me, D/W don't get the tango at all this season. No real passionate emotion or chemistry and just big tricks set to the music without any relation. I totally disagree with ImaginaryPogue - P/B picked a mood and theme, set it from the beginning and the program works as a cohesive whole and I barely think about what element is next.

Besides, P/B are simply more elegant. Better posture and lines and they are less frantic looking. Things like D/W bad posture really bother me.
    Last edited by oleada; 11-28-2010 at 12:09 PM.

skating philosopher
    Interesting comments about D/W. As I said in previous comments, D/W could have gone the easy route and did a POTO type FS and dominate this season. That is clearly not their goal. They are responding to all their weaknesses that have caused them to be second to V/M (and getting beat by other teams) in this last quad.

I think one observation should be made. Even though D/W lost four points in falls and extended lifts with totally revamped (hence, somewhat unpolished) programs at Skate America, had low levels at NHK and that the TEB judges seem generous with levels here,P/B couldn't get the No. 1 spot for GPF. That should tell everyone something. The judges like P/B for sure, but it's clear that they still like D/W quite a bit and what they're trying to do this season.

That said, I do realize it's close and I think there is a message to D/W, which they already got I'm sure, that this decision will require them to work a little. And I think they will. Those guys are workhorses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Interesting comments about D/W. As I said in previous comments, D/W could have gone the easy route and did a POTO type FS and dominate this season. That is clearly not their goal. They are responding to all their weaknesses that have caused them to be second to V/M (and getting beat by other teams) in this last quad.

I think one observation should be made. Even though D/W lost four points in falls and extended lifts with totally revamped (hence, somewhat unpolished) programs at Skate America, had low levels at NHK and that the TEB judges seem generous with levels here,P/B couldn't get the No. 1 spot for GPF. That should tell everyone something. The judges like P/B for sure, but it's clear that they still like D/W quite a bit and what they're trying to do this season.

That said, I do realize it's close and I think there is a message to D/W, which they already got I'm sure, that this decision will require them to work a little. And I think they will. Those guys are workhorses.
    You can't compare scores cross competitions. We have to wait and see what the judges do when the two teams face each other. The fact of the matter is that every time the French step out on the ice, their scores go up.

It's hard not to look good when the 2nd place team could only manage 5th place at Skate America ... and at home, too.

I'll check out C&L's twizzles and get back to you all on them, and what level they should be, with exact reasons, rather than just off the top of my head.

D&W have obviously planned their season goals with the expetation of V&M returning to competition!

That should thrill all V&M fans, I think

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's hard not to look good when the 2nd place team could only manage 5th place at Skate America ... and at home, too.

I'll check out C&L's twizzles and get back to you all on them, and what level they should be, with exact reasons, rather than just off the top of my head.

D&W have obviously planned their season goals with the expetation of V&M returning to competition!

That should thrill all V&M fans, I think
    Its not like P/B didn't win big in China, with the reigning world bronze medalists and B/S. :rollseyes:

No, it isn't. They did great in China. And F&S bombed big in China-we can't say we really know how an in shape F&S will do against them, or for that matter against D&W. And 2nd place was Bobrova.

As to Cannuscio & Lorello's twizzles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itz1xsWBoPA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itz1xsWBoPA#t=0m45s
    SD to Piano Man

ISU Comm 1611 p. 14

C&L do one foot twizzles, similar to what many of the Russian teams do & have been doing. Those are "Option 2" twizzles.

OPTION 2****
    Both Twizzles at least 4 rotations on one foot without change
    of foot.
    AND
    ** 2 different additional features in total for both partners
    chosen from the list below (must be from different Groups)

The two features were
    Group C
    • Entrance to the first Twizzle from the Jump of ½ rotation (the entry edge for the Twizzle will be determined by the landing edge of the jump)
    The second feature was from Group A, which deals with what they did with arms & upper body. They had their arms behind their back in the first set and one arm up and moving on the second set.

So if they had 4 rotations or more each way, they get level 4. If they shorted the second set to less than 4 rotations, they get level 3.

Custom Title
    Thanks Doris. I guess they must have shorted one rotation in FD, since they got lower level on the same element? I also saw P/B did 3 sets of Twizzles, do they get higher level or more GOE?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast