Ladies - Free Skate - 11/27 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Free Skate - 11/27

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa may be in the gpf,being overscored big time the the judges who were probably high,drunk or stoned,but i don't worry about that cause what is Alissa going to achieve in the gpf,the highest she can end up is 5th place.
I have to agree i would much rather see Mirai in the GPF then Alissa. Mirai may be a bundle of nerves at times but she's shown she can skate with the best in the world and has more of a chance to do so something in the Finals then Alissa does.

wallylutz

Medalist
I wonder if those who people jumped to conclusion pre-maturely and posted libelous and unwarranted attacks towards the judges, yet again, would come forward and apologize for their behaviors? I found it very disappointing that certain people can only enjoy skating if their favorites or countrymen won and anything else = conspiracy, corruption, bloc judging and pre-determined results, this is really no better than soccer hooligans.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I guess the answer is no, it's too much to ask. Yet, the same crowd is not even remotely outraged Alissa made it to the podium with merely 3 triples.

She would have had four, if not for the edge call. Anyway, that's not the point. While Cynthia had a little more jump contact, Alissa definitely outshined her in her artistry. I am usually not an Alissa defender, but Cynthia just did not seal the deal. She does not have the spins or spirals that Alissa does and she made a few jump errors.

I mean who else is there?

If you're going to defend Patrick Chan on his non-jump skills (which is fine), I think Alissa deserves the same acknowledgment.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
alissa usually has a more smoother, flowing program despite the misteps,
mirai has room to grow to do that. more people get into alissa programs because of the ease, flow she puts into it.
mirai is just starting to make you do that, not continually on ocassion.
she will do that, she just has to let herself go.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I wonder if those who people jumped to conclusion pre-maturely and posted libelous and unwarranted attacks towards the judges, yet again, would come forward and apologize for their behaviors? I found it very disappointing that certain people can only enjoy skating if their favorites or countrymen won and anything else = conspiracy, corruption, bloc judging and pre-determined results, this is really no better than soccer hooligans.

Disagreeing with the judges and finding flaw in the current judging system is by no means "libelous". I find it very frustrating when people don't have the nuanced judgement to see that being respectful is not necessarily equivalent to agreeing. If we're not allowed to disagree and discuss, what's the point of a discussion forum?

burntBREAD

Medalist
From the post-FS interview:

Q: Mirai, so what happened with the spin?
Mirai : There was a rat on the ice...

ok, I'm kidding!

:laugh:

wallylutz

Medalist
She would have had four, if not for the edge call. Anyway, that's not the point. While Cynthia had a little more jump contact, Alissa definitely outshined her in her artistry. I am usually not an Alissa defender, but Cynthia just did not seal the deal. She does not have the spins or spirals that Alissa does and she made a few jump errors.

I mean who else is there?

If you're going to defend Patrick Chan on his non-jump skills (which is fine), I think Alissa deserves the same acknowledgment.

You missed my point, I am not disputing the results here. A case can certainly be made to justify Alissa's ranking here, I can see that, though I won't use the word "artistry" since it doesn't exist in the PCS criteria.

What I have a problem with is the same crowd who cried foul seem to be very keen and adamant at triple or fall counting until it's a favorite of theirs, then the whole grandiose call for justice and fairness or even CoP reform just take on a blind eye all of a sudden.

Just want to point out the very obvious hypocrisy and double standard and it's obviously trending here across disciplines and those who do so should be ashamed.

fairly4

Medalist
just saw mirai skate on video on universal sports page, while i agree it is better than coc-no major errors, there wasnt the feeling in this one as in coc and also mirai made more little mistakes that also cost her the title. the most obvious was her layback, but there was other little mistakes as well. she wasn't as flowing in coc in spots.

wallylutz

Medalist
Disagreeing with the judges and finding flaw in the current judging system is by no means "libelous". I find it very frustrating when people don't have the nuanced judgement to see that being respectful is not necessarily equivalent to agreeing. If we're not allowed to disagree and discuss, what's the point of a discussion forum?

Disagreeing with the judges is one thing, can you honestly say several of the comments in this thread re: Mirai vs. Kiira is merely a disagreement with the judges or should we revisit the actual wording used?

wallylutz

Medalist
just saw mirai skate on video on universal sports page, while i agree it is better than coc-no major errors, there wasnt the feeling in this one as in coc and also mirai made more little mistakes that also cost her the title. the most obvious was her layback, but there was other little mistakes as well. she wasn't as flowing in coc in spots.

Yet, several people termed such skate as being inexplicably behind Korpi because judges were on drugs. Or another, Kiira = female Patrick Chan, whatever that means. Clearly, there are a tons of quantifiable reasons as why Mirai didn't win gold, she was not flawless and Kiira didn't bomb either but someone was sure she did just because she fell once.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Does anyone know of any videos being put up yet? I feel like because most of the streams were down, there aren't too many uploads.

mganders

Rinkside

Wow, I make one negative comment in years (which I meant to be humorous) and am in turn accused of all sorts of crimes. I am not partisan and I have never attacked or even criticized a skater. I've been watching figure skating since Dick Button was competing, but find myself baffled by a scoring system that depends on tiny errors not visible to the naked eye. But, please, lighten up. This was not a vicious thread.

...though I won't use the word "artistry" since it doesn't exist in the PCS criteria.

Not trying to be a smart Alec, but the explanation of criteria for Interpretation does say something about "artful manipulation of nuance" and "artistic ways of bringing subtle variations to the intensity, tempo, and dynamics of the music."

fairly4

Medalist
in reference to universal sports under normal video has mirai and kiira lp up. i just got down watching them.
universal sports feed online is up

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Wow, I make one negative comment in years (which I meant to be humorous) and am in turn accused of all sorts of crimes. I am not partisan and I have never attacked or even criticized a skater. I've been watching figure skating since Dick Button was competing, but find myself baffled by a scoring system that depends on tiny errors not visible to the naked eye. But, please, lighten up. This was not a vicious thread.

Wallylutz = needs to get over him/herself. I wouldn't mind it if I were you.

wallylutz

Medalist
Not trying to be a smart Alec, but the explanation of criteria for Interpretation does say something about "artful manipulation of nuance" and "artistic ways of bringing subtle variations to the intensity, tempo, and dynamics of the music."

ok you got me. ;)