Ladies - Free Skate - 11/27 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Free Skate - 11/27

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(Sigh!) Cynthia was held down on the PCS because she was slow and lackluster and took forever to set up each jump. She also didn't skate that well. The judges will continue to hold her scores down as long as she skates inconsistently. She had a very easy program---she fell on the lone 3Z and the other jumps were 3T, 3S and 2A. The better Junior skaters have a tougher layout than that.

:confused: Cynthia also did two very good 3loops, both in combination.

oleada

Record Breaker
I wish Mirai would do herself a favor and move at least one of her combinations later in the program. She's losing valuable points by doing them as her first 3 jumping passes. I understand the need to keep the 2A+3T in the beginning, but perhaps she could move the 3 jump combo to a later point.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Kiira has a great fs programme choreography exatly as such as it is. This she needs to improve though: To learn to finish her programme at the same time as the music ends. I believe that she just simply does not bother to do either at all or enough full run-throughs of her free programme in her training. That way she would learn to finish her programme at the right time, what ever happens during her performance (a clean skate or with one or more falls, etc.).

Congratulations to Kiira, she deserved to win the event. I´m also happy for Mirai who is my big favourite. The best thing happened to her, she is not in GPF and has the opportunity to train more to be successfull enough in Nationals to get to Worlds. At Worlds I hope Mirai to be at her very best...

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think Korpi is a female Chan, but I do think she was quite generously scored in this competition, while other were scored more stingily. What will happen when Lepisto comes back? Will they both be on the World podium with watered-down programs? Oy!

Korpi did 5 Triples here, that's more than Lepisto usually does.

Ironic how Korpi ends up having better spins and presentation than Mirai. Even Korpi's Spiral was better than Mirai's (who bobbled a bit on that move). I really dislike the choreography of Mirai's Spiral Sequence in the first place. She is capable of doing MUCH more: that is an excellent move for her but all she is currently doing is a single boring catch-foot position which she holds for 6 seconds. BLEH. Her program in general is completely schizophrenic with all of the music changes.

Technically Korpi was overscored, though. Her 3Lutz was underrotated but she didn't get dinged for it. She ended up receiving 2.9 points for falling on an underrotated Lutz. Overall I can go either way in terms of declaring a winner. I'd probably pick Korpi because the program was better.

I wish Mirai would do herself a favor and move at least one of her combinations later in the program. She's losing valuable points by doing them as her first 3 jumping passes. I understand the need to keep the 2A+3T in the beginning, but perhaps she could move the 3 jump combo to a later point.

She only loses .14 by putting the 2T on the end of her 3Flip in the first half of the program rather than the later half.

She loses a lot more points by repeating the 3Toe as a solo jump in her program. She should be doing a 3Loop-2Loop instead (and then no 2T on the 3Flip). She has done that combo before and the 3Loop is probably her best Triple, so I've no idea why she repeats the Toeloop in her program rather than the Loop. I also want to see her put the 3Sal back in rather than repeating the Double Axel. This should be her layout:

3Lutz-2Toe-2Loop
2Axel-3Toe
3Flip
-------
3Loop-2Loop
3Lutz
3Sal
3Loop

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Without breaking down the protocal in too much detail I agreed with the decision. Korpi barely winning over Nagasu. Both made mistakes anyway, the content wasnt much different either, and Korpi's overall impression was just a bit better.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congrats to all the medallists!

Mirai clearly made some unusual mistakes - the spin of course, her spiral was off, also she finished behind the music. The edge calls, and urs. But she stayed on her feet and won her first GP medal! Go Mirai! Kiira won Finland's first gold in the GP-and she nailed a triple-triple on the way. Go Kiira! And of course Alissa-off to the GPF! Go Alissa! :)

I feel Mirai needs this time to train and get back up to speed. So in that sense it's a good thing she doesn't have to worry about the GPF. Her problems with her spins at this competition seemed a fluke and surely she won't repeat the same mistakes at Nationals.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Ironic how Korpi ends up having better spins and presentation than Mirai. Even Korpi's Spiral was better than Mirai's (who bobbled a bit on that move). I really dislike the choreography of Mirai's Spiral Sequence in the first place. She is capable of doing MUCH more: that is an excellent move for her but all she is currently doing is a single boring catch-foot position which she holds for 6 seconds. BLEH. Her program in general is completely schizophrenic with all of the music changes.

She only loses .14 by putting the 2T on the end of her 3Flip in the first half of the program rather than the later half.

She loses a lot more points by repeating the 3Toe as a solo jump in her program. She should be doing a 3Loop-2Loop instead (and then no 2T on the 3Flip). She has done that combo before and the 3Loop is probably her best Triple, so I've no idea why she repeats the Toeloop in her program rather than the Loop. I also want to see her put the 3Sal back in rather than repeating the Double Axel. This should be her layout:

3Lutz-2Toe-2Loop
2Axel-3Toe
3Flip
-------
3Loop-2Loop
3Lutz
3Sal
3Loop

-About the spiral: I know, right?! The first time I saw Mirai's FS I went: Where's the arabesque spiral? Hers is gorgeous but there she is doing a Bielmann, gaining so little GOE compared to what she's capable of it's hilarious. Look at what Alissa's doing.

I have a feeling her jump layout will change come nationals, it was different at COC (even with the mistakes) she repeated the flip instead of the toe, though I agree her loop is her most solid jump (technically also) and she is definitely capable of repeating it in the 1/2 half, especially since the flip seems to be her worst jump. I think she did 3Toe here for consistency's sake. Her salchow hasn't been seen for a while, I think it's prone to underrotation.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, even if Nagasu WON she would not have made the GPF...so I don't really get some of these comments.

This should be her layout:

3Lutz-2Toe-2Loop
2Axel-3Toe
3Flip
-------
3Loop-2Loop
3Lutz
3Sal
3Loop

What would be really cool is if there would be some way to get coaches to come on the board and tell us why they do what they do.

Frank Caroll can add just like you and I can. So there must be a reason why he wants Mirai to do a 2A instead of a 3S at the end. Maybe a stamina question? Something about the overall choreography?

Ginask8s

On the Ice
:)

I love Alissa's LP this year because it is all about Alissa's beautiful skating.

Personally, the more Alissa I get to see the better so I hope she makes it worlds. But as you never know with her I'm just going to enjoy her skating while it lasts and be pleased she is still around for at least one more season.

ETA: I finally got to see Kiira's LP. I'm a bit ambivalent about whether she her or Mirai should have won. It's a bit weird that the skater who stayed on her feet for both programs is second. But Kiira performed better and it wasn't just one spin that Mirai flubbed - at least a couple were off. SO frustrating that Mirai should lose on spins. But you can bet she'll be working on those and that is a good thing. At least she won the silver. Anyway, I'm not that fussed about the results. I'm happy for Kiira.

As for Kiira's LP, Blades is right that she really needs to work on ending on the music. I like the program but I don't know if it's such masterpiece material. The footwork is O-K, the music they chose for the section is sort of boring. I don't love the way she uses the crescendos. There are parts where she skates through some good crescendos on her way to jumps. And at the end she just spins to the crescendos, which is okay but not amazing. There are times when the choreo is lovely but other times where the music sort of overwhelms the skating.
Still, she is lovely to watch. I know Kiira isn't as good a spinner as others but I rather like her spins. I like the way she speeds up when she changes her arm and leg position on her layback. It's so pretty. If she could just make fewer mistakes...

I actually think she is a great spinner. That flying sit to a forward outside edge seems to gain speed and that spin is HARD to do . So many of the spins are done by all the skaters now, it is nice to see something different. I also like her layback. She obviously does not have the flexibility in her back that some of the others do, and she uses what she can do in an interesting way. I hate watching skaters do slow Bielmans or awkward haircutters.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Wow, Alissa got +3 GOEs across the board for her layback spin in both the SP and LP. I think this is probably the first time a single element has received maximum GOEs in both segments of the competition at the same event. She is just so gorgeous, especially with her LP this season...please, please Skate Gods, if she can't win the GPF this year, by some miracle at least let her end up on the podium.

Even though I far prefer Mirai to Kiira, I'm actually fine with the latter winning. I find Mirai's LP this season to be just plain dull, and that she's skating to the overused MOAG certainly doesn't help. Kiira's overall PCS should've been higher than Mirai's, who appeared to be thinking throughout her performance without skating her programme with much conviction. Mirai's jumps aren't looking so good this season (they're low and the flutz is back), and she probably hasn't fully recovered from her injury since she messed up her layback spin in both the SP and LP. Kiira's skate to music from Evita wasn't exactly the pinnacle of choreographic/performance achievement, but at least she skated with emotion and seemed invested in the programme. Kiira landed 5 fully rotated triples to Mirai's 4 (Kiira rightfully won the PCS) and Mirai still beat her in the LP, so I don't get the whining about Kiira's win when it was obviously her lead in the SP and Mirai's mistakes that led to Kiira winning.

When it comes to the EMOTIONAL skate of TEB, one cannot rule out Cythia Phaneuf as the most emotional skater to her music. She made me aware that there is something to skating via the music as well as the tricks.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, Alissa got +3 GOEs across the board for her layback spin in both the SP and LP. I think this is probably the first time a single element has received maximum GOEs in both segments of the competition at the same event. She is just so gorgeous, especially with her LP this season...please, please Skate Gods, if she can't win the GPF this year, by some miracle at least let her end up on the podium.

Well, getting 104 in the FS despite all those mistakes she made bodes well for her. I think the judges are telling her that if she can get her act together, she is capable of a 120+ score, which coupled with a ~55-57 in the short means about 175 pts. That's competitive for a world medal, folks.

We'll have to see how she does in the GPF, but I think given the volatility of the field she is totally capable of a podium finish there- IF she can stay on her feet or limit the falls/stumbles to one or two.

Even though I far prefer Mirai to Kiira, I'm actually fine with the latter winning. I find Mirai's LP this season to be just plain dull, and that she's skating to the overused MOAG certainly doesn't help. Kiira's overall PCS should've been higher than Mirai's, who appeared to be thinking throughout her performance without skating her programme with much conviction.

I agree and I mentioned it here immediately after she skated...I just don't see any fire, any emotion like in the SP (or last year). I think changes are in order here.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
I don't think MOAG was a good choice for Mirai, particularly for a LP. The music works for someone stately like Nakano, but Mirai is a skater who needs energetic, fiery music. Also, the music in MOAG isn't long enough/too repetitive for one piece to be used, so Mirai had like 3-4 cuts in her LP, and it sounded schizophrenic like what Blades of Passion said about the jump layout.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As it turned out, Alissa could have finished 4th in this competition and still made it to the GPF with 24 points because Alissa's total score, 332.17, was 13.99 points higher than Korpi's.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm glad Kiira finally won one! Especially since even if Mirai won, she would not have made the final, and the things they dinged her for, were real on the 2 lutzes and the spin. I've got to take another look at the 2a3t though.

I watched it on NBC, her 2A-3T was clearly underrotated. Her second lutz was also URed. This girl is never going to fix her flutz.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Kiira's PCS should be in the 60s if they give Alissa and Mirai 55+ for those snooze fests.
What Kiira needs is to DROP the flip all together and add a 2A there. She would gain about 3-4 points while increasing her odd to a clean program. I would put Kiira about 10 points ahead of the other two.