Ladies - Free Skate - 11/27 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Free Skate - 11/27

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai is to Kira Korpi as Michelle was to Nicole Bobek. I hope Mirai gets that competitive spirit ingrained in her. That is all she needs, IMO.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The two techs were Heffernan (CAN) and Kustarova (SVK). Here's the interesting twist: if one of the techs thought Kiira's lutz was UR and the other one disagreed, guess whose vote resolves the conflict? The Tech Controller, Lakernik (RUS). I suspect the latter would rather see a European lady on top of the podium than a US lady, especially since the Euro lady is breathtakingly beautiful and comes from a neighboring country.

Actually The Technical Controller was Susan Hefferman (and she is from Canada according to your above posting)...

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2010/SEG004OF.HTM

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say i don't like either of Mirai's programs this year. I'm wondering if the slower music is partly why she seems to lack the energy she usually has. She's slowed down so much that her spins are starting to look almost like Rachael's. I don't see how she could have slowed down so much in a matter of months. He speed was what seperated her from her competitors. Maybe she's holding back a bit to try and skate clean programs but i want to see the old fast Mirai.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since someone said I have nothing positive to say about Rachael's competitors. I was merely pointing out all of Mirai's flaws because the same crowd kept on saying she wuzrobbed. She wasn't. If anything, Kiira wuzrobbed, I thought she won the LP. :mad:

Mirai has flaws, Kira has flaws. Reasonable minds can differ on who won what. It was very close, so the wuzrobbed posts were not out of line.

Eris

On the Ice
Rachael fixed her flutz, her flip. Mao is fixing hers. Kim fixed her. Miki fixed her. The other girls didn't even bother. So, I have nothing nice to say about them.
Acrually, Mirai's flutz is a big question. Last season she never got "e" on it (as far as I remember), sometimes "!" and sometimes nothing.
Now it depends on the techical controller, if he sees "!" (can't be used now), he can give e-call or not. In China, for example, none of her jumps got edge call. So...:rolleye:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Acrually, Mirai's flutz is a big question. Last season she never got "e" on it (as far as I remember), sometimes "!" and sometimes nothing.
Now it depends on the techical controller, if he sees "!" (can't be used now), he can give e-call or not. In China, for example, none of her jumps got edge call. So...:rolleye:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan09/gpcan09_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf
Called on both flutzes last year.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpchn09/gpchn09_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf
Called on both flutzes

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf
Called on the flutz in the SP at the Olympics.
Then magically not called in the LP. No one fixed a flutz that fast. It was insane that her flutzes didn't get called at the Olympics. So ... :rolleye:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mirai has flaws, Kira has flaws. Reasonable minds can differ on who won what. It was very close, so the wuzrobbed posts were not out of line.

Reasonable minds don't call "wuzrobbed" on a close contest. Instead of giving Kiira credits on what she did well, people just assumed she won because she's pretty. Poor beautiful girls, they just couldn't catch a break.

oleada

Record Breaker
The two techs were Heffernan (CAN) and Kustarova (SVK). Here's the interesting twist: if one of the techs thought Kiira's lutz was UR and the other one disagreed, guess whose vote resolves the conflict? The Tech Controller, Lakernik (RUS). I suspect the latter would rather see a European lady on top of the podium than a US lady, especially since the Euro lady is breathtakingly beautiful and comes from a neighboring country.

How would it benefit a Russian judge, or for example, an Italian controller to have their own countries direct competitors come out on top? I think this conspiracy is mostly in your head.

Anyway, I love Mirai's skating, and she's probably one of my favorites competing, but she made enough mistakes to give it away, IMO. Kiira had mistakes as well, but she really fought and didn't let the performance level go down, while Mirai's did a little.

Anyway, the silver will hopefully keep Mirai hungry and improving for US Nationals, where she'll hopefully kick ***, win and make the world team!

janetfan

Match Penalty
How would it benefit a Russian judge, or for example, an Italian controller to have their own countries direct competitors come out on top? I think this conspiracy is mostly in your head.

Anyway, I love Mirai's skating, and she's probably one of my favorites competing, but she made enough mistakes to give it away, IMO. Kiira had mistakes as well, but she really fought and didn't let the performance level go down, while Mirai's did a little.

Anyway, the silver will hopefully keep Mirai hungry and improving for US Nationals, where she'll hopefully kick ***, win and make the world team!

I think I agree with your take on this. Besides, it is only a GP event, and hardly worth starting a Euro vs N. America war over.
Since I am a fan ....and not a judge.....I can't say who deserved to win TEB. Seems to me that Kiira skated close her best and I have no problem with the judges placing her first.

I do feel sure Mirai was far from her best - so it is not the end of the world that a judging panel decided one Kiira's best skates of her career beat a sloppy Mirai.

It is more troubling when we see Flatt skating close to her best and still not able to beat an injured Caro or a newcomer like Kanako - who made a few mistakes.

It still gets down to Natls for the USA Ladies. Even if I am a Mirai fan I don't think "potential" counts for anything at Natls.

Congratulations to Kiira - a nice skater who after many years of competiting finally won a GP event. Good for her. To Mirai I say - "listen to your coach" and skate better, cleaner LPs.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Reasonable minds don't call "wuzrobbed" on a close contest. Instead of giving Kiira credits on what she did well, people just assumed she won because she's pretty. Poor beautiful girls, they just couldn't catch a break.

:confused: it was a close one and could have gone either way. The judges chose to give it to Korpi, and...well, that's it I guess.

Eris

On the Ice
Thanks, I'll remember that.
Again. ! and e are not the same. e means the inside edge, ! - not clear outside edge. Mirai has not clear flutz and doesn't have to change the technique of this jump complitely.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:rofl::jaw:
Let's go there. Mirai's flutz received 0 from 2 judges in the short program. I'm very sure an edge call must result in negative GOE.

In the LP, one judge actually gave her +1 for her wonderful flutz.

If Rachael's competitors have something positive, I will mention them. They just don't. :disapp: Rachael fixed her flutz, her flip. Mao is fixing hers. Kim fixed her. Miki fixed her. The other girls didn't even bother. So, I have nothing nice to say about them.

This just might be my most favorite-ist, nonsense post in all of my GS history!!! Tell us how you really feel FlattFan! GO UBERS!!!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Nope.

You know you're off the deep end (i.e. in uber fandom) when you say things like that. :laugh:

Which is why I felt obligated to reply... Because I get it. I've been there. I could be a sponsor for UA (ubers anonymous) but even I was like: seriously? are you seriously serious? Too funny!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Which is why I felt obligated to reply... Because I get it. I've been there. I could be a sponsor for UA (ubers anonymous) but even I was like: seriously? are you seriously serious? Too funny!

short memories ;)

(kidding!)

(well, sorta... :p )

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how can one be a sponsor of UA when you still are an uber? :p

I am sooooooooooooooo happy to have you back KW!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
how can one be a sponsor of UA when you still are an uber? :p

I am sooooooooooooooo happy to have you back KW!

Ya know.... YOU TWO!! Listen, I am an uber and I deal with my addiction one day at a time. Sometimes I waste three hours watching my complete Michelle Kwan comp dvd collection, somedays I get by with just one viewing of Red Violin or Tosca. But most days I take a deep breath and live without a MK fix. So there.

However - I have never and I never said that Michelle didn't have any competition or said that they had no good points. I just implied it... very different.