Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Free Skate - 11/27

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I was just reading some posts that were like, "I wish Mirai AND Mao could have just snuck into the GPF."

Well, that's the thing about wishes. They don;t have to make sense.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, that's the thing about wishes. They don;t have to make sense.
    Very true.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post

I love Alissa's LP this year because it is all about Alissa's beautiful skating.

Personally, the more Alissa I get to see the better so I hope she makes it worlds. But as you never know with her I'm just going to enjoy her skating while it lasts and be pleased she is still around for at least one more season.

ETA: I finally got to see Kiira's LP. I'm a bit ambivalent about whether she her or Mirai should have won. It's a bit weird that the skater who stayed on her feet for both programs is second. But Kiira performed better and it wasn't just one spin that Mirai flubbed - at least a couple were off. SO frustrating that Mirai should lose on spins. But you can bet she'll be working on those and that is a good thing. At least she won the silver. Anyway, I'm not that fussed about the results. I'm happy for Kiira.

As for Kiira's LP, Blades is right that she really needs to work on ending on the music. I like the program but I don't know if it's such masterpiece material. The footwork is O-K, the music they chose for the section is sort of boring. I don't love the way she uses the crescendos. There are parts where she skates through some good crescendos on her way to jumps. And at the end she just spins to the crescendos, which is okay but not amazing. There are times when the choreo is lovely but other times where the music sort of overwhelms the skating.
    Still, she is lovely to watch. I know Kiira isn't as good a spinner as others but I rather like her spins. I like the way she speeds up when she changes her arm and leg position on her layback. It's so pretty. If she could just make fewer mistakes...
    I actually think she is a great spinner. That flying sit to a forward outside edge seems to gain speed and that spin is HARD to do . So many of the spins are done by all the skaters now, it is nice to see something different. I also like her layback. She obviously does not have the flexibility in her back that some of the others do, and she uses what she can do in an interesting way. I hate watching skaters do slow Bielmans or awkward haircutters.

Custom Title
    Wow, Alissa got +3 GOEs across the board for her layback spin in both the SP and LP. I think this is probably the first time a single element has received maximum GOEs in both segments of the competition at the same event. She is just so gorgeous, especially with her LP this season...please, please Skate Gods, if she can't win the GPF this year, by some miracle at least let her end up on the podium.

Even though I far prefer Mirai to Kiira, I'm actually fine with the latter winning. I find Mirai's LP this season to be just plain dull, and that she's skating to the overused MOAG certainly doesn't help. Kiira's overall PCS should've been higher than Mirai's, who appeared to be thinking throughout her performance without skating her programme with much conviction. Mirai's jumps aren't looking so good this season (they're low and the flutz is back), and she probably hasn't fully recovered from her injury since she messed up her layback spin in both the SP and LP. Kiira's skate to music from Evita wasn't exactly the pinnacle of choreographic/performance achievement, but at least she skated with emotion and seemed invested in the programme. Kiira landed 5 fully rotated triples to Mirai's 4 (Kiira rightfully won the PCS) and Mirai still beat her in the LP, so I don't get the whining about Kiira's win when it was obviously her lead in the SP and Mirai's mistakes that led to Kiira winning.

When it comes to the EMOTIONAL skate of TEB, one cannot rule out Cythia Phaneuf as the most emotional skater to her music. She made me aware that there is something to skating via the music as well as the tricks.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    Wow, Alissa got +3 GOEs across the board for her layback spin in both the SP and LP. I think this is probably the first time a single element has received maximum GOEs in both segments of the competition at the same event. She is just so gorgeous, especially with her LP this season...please, please Skate Gods, if she can't win the GPF this year, by some miracle at least let her end up on the podium.
    Well, getting 104 in the FS despite all those mistakes she made bodes well for her. I think the judges are telling her that if she can get her act together, she is capable of a 120+ score, which coupled with a ~55-57 in the short means about 175 pts. That's competitive for a world medal, folks.

We'll have to see how she does in the GPF, but I think given the volatility of the field she is totally capable of a podium finish there- IF she can stay on her feet or limit the falls/stumbles to one or two.

Even though I far prefer Mirai to Kiira, I'm actually fine with the latter winning. I find Mirai's LP this season to be just plain dull, and that she's skating to the overused MOAG certainly doesn't help. Kiira's overall PCS should've been higher than Mirai's, who appeared to be thinking throughout her performance without skating her programme with much conviction.
    I agree and I mentioned it here immediately after she skated...I just don't see any fire, any emotion like in the SP (or last year). I think changes are in order here.
    Last edited by R.D.; 11-28-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't think MOAG was a good choice for Mirai, particularly for a LP. The music works for someone stately like Nakano, but Mirai is a skater who needs energetic, fiery music. Also, the music in MOAG isn't long enough/too repetitive for one piece to be used, so Mirai had like 3-4 cuts in her LP, and it sounded schizophrenic like what Blades of Passion said about the jump layout.

Custom Title
    As it turned out, Alissa could have finished 4th in this competition and still made it to the GPF with 24 points because Alissa's total score, 332.17, was 13.99 points higher than Korpi's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm glad Kiira finally won one! Especially since even if Mirai won, she would not have made the final, and the things they dinged her for, were real on the 2 lutzes and the spin. I've got to take another look at the 2a3t though.
    I watched it on NBC, her 2A-3T was clearly underrotated. Her second lutz was also URed. This girl is never going to fix her flutz.

Custom Title
    Kiira's PCS should be in the 60s if they give Alissa and Mirai 55+ for those snooze fests.
    What Kiira needs is to DROP the flip all together and add a 2A there. She would gain about 3-4 points while increasing her odd to a clean program. I would put Kiira about 10 points ahead of the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Kiira's PCS should be in the 60s if they give Alissa and Mirai 55+ for those snooze fests.
    What Kiira needs is to DROP the flip all together and add a 2A there. She would gain about 3-4 points while increasing her odd to a clean program. I would put Kiira about 10 points ahead of the other two.
    Yeah you would and that's why you are not a JUDGE!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Frank Caroll can add just like you and I can. So there must be a reason why he wants Mirai to do a 2A instead of a 3S at the end. Maybe a stamina question?
    I'm sure it's a stamina/consistency issue but it just seems odd to leave that jump out. She has done it many times without problem in the past and Frank is big on his skaters being complete, so what gives. She needs the points if she expects to beat Yu-Na or Mao (in top form).

Repeating the 3T as a solo jump doesn't make any sense to me even as a consistency issue, though. Her 3Lo is very consistent and it seems like she approaches that 3T with more hesitency than she does her 3Lo. Feels like she's just giving points away there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I'm sure it's a stamina/consistency issue but it just seems odd to leave that jump out. She has done it many times without problem in the past and Frank is big on his skaters being complete, so what gives. She needs the points if she expects to beat Yu-Na or Mao (in top form).

Repeating the 3T as a solo jump doesn't make any sense to me even as a consistency issue, though. Her 3Lo is very consistent and it seems like she approaches that 3T with more hesitency than she does her 3Lo. Feels like she's just giving points away there.
    Concerning Mirai's salchow, IIRC, Mirai had a salchow as her last jump until Golden West last year. Starting in 08-09, she was getting downgrades on it as well as having some hard falls (08 Skate America definitely), and then falling hard again at Golden West last year, after which it disappeared.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Care to say anything positive about any of the US ladies that are Rachael's competitors?

^Surely you jest.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast