Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Beauty Bonus/ Beauty Points

  1. #1
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,467

    Beauty Bonus/ Beauty Points

    What do you think about this? Some skaters are not as talented or as musical as the others but their beauty gets them really high PCS!

    I think skating is a beautiful sport and it is judged now also in terms of aesthetic criterion. I mean if the skater is really gorgeous, has great costumes, I think that makes them a really amazing vision on the ice for the judges and the audiences thus adding to their PCS scores.

    Some skaters who I believe really get a lot of beauty points are

    Yu-Na Kim
    Carolina Kostner
    Kiira Korpi
    Laura Lepisto
    Alissa Czisny

    I think their beauty really adds more to their presentation on the ice!

    In the case of Yu-Na, it is the total package that really sets her apart from everyone else. The rare combination of exquisite beauty, talent, personality, charm, musicality and technical proficiency really make her a one of a kind super skater.

    Alissa is also amazing in terms of her spins and musicality!

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    What do you think about this? Some skaters are not as talented or as musical as the others but their beauty gets them really high PCS!

    I think skating is a beautiful sport and it is judged now also in terms of aesthetic criterion. I mean if the skater is really gorgeous, has great costumes, I think that makes them a really amazing vision on the ice for the judges and the audiences thus adding to their PCS scores.

    Some skaters who I believe really get a lot of beauty points are

    Yu-Na Kim
    Carolina Kostner
    Kiira Korpi
    Laura Lepisto
    Alissa Czisny

    I think their beauty really adds more to their presentation on the ice!

    In the case of Yu-Na, it is the total package that really sets her apart from everyone else. The rare combination of exquisite beauty, talent, personality, charm, musicality and technical proficiency really make her a one of a kind super skater.

    Alissa is also amazing in terms of her spins and musicality!
    At least three of those skaters are not what I would call beautiful, so I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.

  3. #3
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,114
    That's another issue. There's skaters that are touted as being beautiful that I don't think are that beautiful either.

    For one thing, there was Nancy Kerrigan of the huge teeth, who AFAIR Dick & Peggy were always comparing to Grace Kelly or Katharine Hepburn. She was a nice enough looking girl, but I wouldn't have called her beautiful.

    But if a majority of judges think the girl is beautiful, then I suppose it does help the PCS. I only think 2 of the girls mentioned are beautiful in my eyes, but all of them at one time or another have been lauded up and down for being gorgeous, Kostner less so than the others, I think?

  4. #4
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    What do you think about this? Some skaters are not as talented or as musical as the others but their beauty gets them really high PCS!

    I think skating is a beautiful sport and it is judged now also in terms of aesthetic criterion. I mean if the skater is really gorgeous, has great costumes, I think that makes them a really amazing vision on the ice for the judges and the audiences thus adding to their PCS scores.

    Some skaters who I believe really get a lot of beauty points are

    Yu-Na Kim
    Carolina Kostner
    Kiira Korpi
    Laura Lepisto
    Alissa Czisny

    I think their beauty really adds more to their presentation on the ice!

    In the case of Yu-Na, it is the total package that really sets her apart from everyone else. The rare combination of exquisite beauty, talent, personality, charm, musicality and technical proficiency really make her a one of a kind super skater.

    Alissa is also amazing in terms of her spins and musicality!
    Beauty, I stress, is SUBJECTIVE. I'll tell you right now that I don't necessarily fancy any of those girls you have listed there. Doesn't mean I don't think they have good/ok looks, though. But I think you ask Judge A, you'll get one response, and you ask Judge B, you get a totally different response.

    Of course having a looker out there on the ice will draw more attention, especially if she has great presentation skills. (It looks like Korpi is finally starting to dig in and find this) But again, there shouldn't be bonus points for beauty. That is, if it's to be taken seriously as a sport. Otherwise, it's just a pageant on ice.

  5. #5
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Beauty, I stress, is SUBJECTIVE. I'll tell you right now that I don't necessarily fancy any of those girls you have listed there. Doesn't mean I don't think they have good/ok looks, though. But I think you ask Judge A, you'll get one response, and you ask Judge B, you get a totally different response.

    Of course having a looker out there on the ice will draw more attention, especially if she has great presentation skills. (It looks like Korpi is finally starting to dig in and find this) But again, there shouldn't be bonus points for beauty. That is, if it's to be taken seriously as a sport. Otherwise, it's just a pageant on ice.
    "Pageant on ice" ...... hmmm, where have I heard that before?

    Of course figure skating, whether singles or teams depends greatly on the pageant effect to keep filling the seats and finding it's way onto TV.

    Are there some posters here who actually think skating is shown on TV only for it's sports values?
    Last edited by janetfan; 11-28-2010 at 08:55 AM.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    409
    While some of those girls might not be classic beauties facially, they have very long and thin body-types, which gives them an advantage in having a "beautiful line." Certainly it helped Carolina when she couldn't do the harder triples. And I think skaters with a stockier build or shorter limbs like Rachael and Caroline (who are not overweight by any means, but they just don't have pencil-like body types)are at a disadvantage, through no fault of their own. They just can't do some of the things--or look as elegant and graceful--as the skinny, long-limbed ones.

  7. #7
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    The question then becomes, though: is this fair? Janetfan actually has a point here. In a SPORTING contest why on earth should body type (line, whatever you want to call it ) be important?? I'll let that one be rhetorical.

  8. #8
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,114
    It's not necessary in gymnastics, another sport with guidelines for extension & so forth.

    Consider the body type of Mary Lou Retton, Olympic champion.

    So yes, I think those writing the rules for skating and training judges need to stress the difference between doing the best possible with what you have for a body and face, and giving points for being cute.

    That's if skating is a sport and not the ancestor of American Idol.

  9. #9
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,744
    Just curious, do you think this applies to any men? I don't think Patrick Chan is that physically attractive, although he isn't ugly.

  10. #10
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,919
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's not necessary in gymnastics, another sport with guidelines for extension & so forth.

    Consider the body type of Mary Lou Retton, Olympic champion.
    Actually, the Mary Lou Retton/Shawn Johnson type seems to be perfect for gymnastics.

    Svetlana Boginskaya had to work hard to overcome the handicap of stunning long-legged elegance.

  11. #11
    nefertiti..reincarnate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    865
    Yeah I clearly remember the judges at TEB in 08 (was it?) deducted SO MUCH of PCS from then overweighted Aki Sawada. Suddenly her PCS's were in 4s, big drop from her 4th place finish at 4CC in the season before where she was in a better body shape.
    That was such a clear proof that judges are human and don't give points to what they find superficially unpleasant.
    I have to admit that Aki was astonishingly overweight at the time, though.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,015
    I think that Retton's win had less to do with body type and more with the fact that the Soviets withdrew. But I digress...

    I kind of waffle on this issue. Sometimes I think presenting a good picture on the ice, such as having a nice costume that's fashionable, hair that's been well put together and elegance that are more important than physical attractiveness itself. That said, I know personally, I prefer skaters with long lines and limbs and a lot of ballet training, particularly in dance.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    I honestly think it does make a difference. I mean, Miki Ando has always been pretty IMO, but wasn't as highly regarded a skater as she is now before she lost a bunch of weight after the 2006 Olympics. Her spirals and spins used to be a big weakness for her but now they look nice due to her sleek line and usually she gets high +GOE for them even though the positions themselves aren't the greatest. I think there is something to be said about what the ISU wants their female figure skating champions to look like...

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    How do you separate physical beauty from aesthetics, though? We can't deny that physics of the sport favours a certain kind of biology, can we?

  15. #15
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    646
    I think that yes, but more like inconsientemente, you can´t just not see when a skater is beautiful, but is a little , because I can see that Kiira is really pretty, but when she is skating doesn´t anything for me, I can see more beautiful to Carolina K. (and I don´t think she is pretty) or Mao when they are skating.

    sorry my english

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •