Jeremy ABBOTT
USA
Brandon MROZ
USA
Adam RIPPON
USA

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
With all the brouhaha, uproar and declaration that Patrick Chan has already been gifted with the gold no matter what, currently he has gotten 1 out of 139 votes to win the GPF on Tony Wheeler's poll, which is not even a bet with real money! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I guess people just love to be dramatic without conviction. :)

Do we have our own poll?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last year the US had 3 guys in the GPF (Weir, Lysacek & Abbott). This year, no one :(

wallylutz

Medalist
With all the brouhaha, uproar and declaration that Patrick Chan has already been gifted with the gold no matter what, currently he has gotten 1 out of 139 votes to win the GPF on Tony Wheeler's poll, which is not even a bet with real money! :laugh::laugh::laugh: I guess people just love to be dramatic without conviction. :)

Do we have our own poll?

I think the stigma associated with casting your vote here in GS for Patrick Chan is going to be worse than coming out of the closet. :laugh:

wallylutz

Medalist
And why would coming out of the closet be bad? :unsure: Consideration fail.

It's not bad, that's your word, not mine. However, it's never easy and often is something that comes after years of internal struggle with one self, just ask anyone who had to deal with it. Clearly, this is not something you had to go through. As a tongue-in-cheek analogy, I am saying the GS stigma is greater for embracing Chan than coming out.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think the stigma associated with casting your vote here in GS for Patrick Chan is going to be worse than coming out of the closet. :laugh:

But voting online is voting in the closet. :)

It is not casting the vote for Chan, but for the competition outcome. Don't people geniunely believe that the corrupted judges have already decided his win? Plus the however conceivably slim chance that he may actually win convincingly. Don't people love the odds? :think:

:biggrin:

Takahiko, Dai, and Nobi will battle it out for supremacy. My money goes to Takahiko, because he wont get flustered and will be his cool self. Patrick and Vernon, more than likely will have their errors in their programs, and Florent is just an Oly Winner in waiting.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yeah, I much prefer to see Abbott in the Final too. I expected Mroz or Amodio to be the spoiler for him, neither of whose skating and programs I care much about. Abbott has the skills and the program(s) - I like his LP very much - and should be peaking in his career now rather than headcasing. Well, the CoR might be the one time thing this season and hopefully he progresses instead of peaking too soon again.

I see the GPF as a 4 way race. Let's see who will bring it that day.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I've just checked last year's entry to GPF for men:

1 Nobunari ODA JPN 15+15=30 482.11
2 Evan LYSACEK USA 13+15=28 469.89
3 Brian JOUBERT FRA 9+15=24 440.09
4 Jeremy ABBOTT USA 7+15=22 441.44
5 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN 9+13=22 445.60
6 Johnny WEIR USA 9+13=22 416.25

ALTERNATES

7 Tomas VERNER CZE 13+7 =20 424.02
8 Michal BREZINA CZE 11+9=20 419.80
9 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 13+4=17 401.13

This year's qualifiers for GPF in men:

1 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 15 + 15 = 30 481.58
2 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN 15 + 15 = 30 461.86
3 Patrick CHAN CAN 15 + 13 = 28 466.73
4 Tomas VERNER CZE 11 + 15 = 26 445.12
5 Nobunari ODA JPN 13 + 13 = 26 462.61
6 Florent AMODIO FRA 11 + 13 = 24 443.15

Alternates:

7 Jeremy ABBOTT USA 13 + 11 = 24 435.40
8 Brandon MROZ USA 13 + 11 = 24 431.11
9 Adam RIPPON USA 11 + 9 = 20 436.16

By comparing, I think the result of this year's GP series are pretty optimistic. Has the men's skating this year worse than last year? I don't see it. Kozuka is soaring to the sky. Verner is rising. Abbott remains the same.

genki

On the Ice
I really love Jeremy's skating. This year's FS, especially is a masterpiece. He should be in final instead of a skater who fell 8 times in 2 comp.(Just ridiculous.)
I can not stop feeling that the result is already decided even before they skate by PCS. Chan and Takahashi most likely to win due to their mid 80 pcs, no matter what,(TAKA'S Pcs has just surpassed 80, so he too has a good chance to win.)
In case of Chan, Judges did not even give under rotation to his spectacular falls and he got a very high point because of that. It is very strange that the score of fully rotated splat is higher than underrated step out or hand down EVEN IF SKATERS ARE ON THEIR FEET.
In my mind, there is no doubt that Skate Canada has enormous political power. What else can you explain Chan's 73 on his short with three falls and unbelievably underscored Jeremy's PCS despite of his utterly beautiful basic skating? Anyway, my prediction is 1. Takahashi.(should be clean)2 Chan (Can fall 3 times.) 3. Takahiko (Clean)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Judges don't give UR calls.

2. Chan has gotten hit with UR calls this season at both SC and CoR.

3. Abbott scored the exact same PCS for a clean program as he did with a program with two falls, despite his "utterly beautiful basic skating."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
1. Judges don't give UR calls.

2. Chan has gotten hit with UR calls this season at both SC and CoR.

3. Abbott scored the exact same PCS for a clean program as he did with a program with two falls, despite his "utterly beautiful basic skating."

Fact bringers are party poopers. :disapp:

Oh well, I'll join you.

It is very strange that the score of fully rotated splat is higher than underrated step out or hand down EVEN IF SKATERS ARE ON THEIR FEET.

Fact:There is a big difference in points between a 4T and 3T as a quad is extremely difficult to do while 3T is the lowest ranked triple. Sussessful 4Ts are done by only a handful of skaters whereas any advanced skater can do 3Ts, which are often easily tacked on another jump at will to make a jump combo. Do you accept this fact?

A 4T under rotated by 1/2 turn is classified as 3T, maybe a little over-rotated, but not a 4T. Agree?

-1 or -2 GOE for stepping out or hand down, and -3 GOE plus 1 point deduction for falling (-4 total), agree?

Thus a fall on a fully rotated 4T is higher in skills and points than a stepped out 3T. Only a handful of skaters can fully rotate a quad, falling or not, whereas nobody falls on a 3T in a major competition. The difference in difficulty levels of a 3T and a 4T is just that huge. However, falling on a fully rotated triple is not rewarding or worth more than a successful double in most cases.

Staying on their feet may be prettier but is quite easy to accomplish - do easy stuff and avoid riskier harder elements. If you think staying on their feet is of foremost importance, then watch skating shows. Skating is an Olympic sport and in a competition, skaters compete mostly on their technical skills (~70%), plus presentation (~ 30%).

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Fact:There is a big difference in points between a 4T and 3T as a quad is extremely difficult to do while 3T is the lowest ranked triple. Sussessful 4Ts are done by only a handful of skaters whereas any advanced skater can do 3Ts, which are often easily tacked on another jump at will to make a jump combo. Do you accept this fact?

A 4T under rotated by 1/2 turn is classified as 3T, maybe a little over-rotated, but not a 4T. Agree?

-1 or -2 GOE for stepping out or hand down, and -3 GOE plus 1 point deduction for falling (-4 total), agree?

Thus a fall on a fully rotated 4T is higher in skills and points than a stepped out 3T. Only a handful of skaters can fully rotate a quad, falling or not, whereas nobody falls on a 3T in a major competition. The difference in difficulty levels of a 3T and a 4T is just that huge. However, falling on a fully rotated triple is not rewarding or worth more than a successful double in most cases.

Staying on their feet may be prettier but is quite easy to accomplish - do easy stuff and avoid riskier harder elements. If you think staying on their feet is of foremost importance, then watch skating shows. Skating is an Olympic sport and in a competition, skaters compete mostly on their technical skills (~70%), plus presentation (~ 30%).

Thanks! Totally agree!:thumbsup: You explained so well!

evangeline

Record Breaker
How about Verner in 1st? :biggrin: That would make me one happy camper!

I love Tomas, but it would pretty much have to be a splatfest of epic proportions for Tomas to place first in this field. I mean, imagine how horribly both Patrick and Daisuke (the favoured ones this season, no doubt) would have to skate for Tomas to place above them....

I'll be putting my money on Tomas for the European title, though--that seems to be what he's aiming for anyways.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Verner did the Olympic gold medalist program at COR. He is doing what worked to win Olympic Gold. Kozuka got 89 in tech at Cup of France and Verner got 77ish when it wasn't clean. Takahashi and Chan have also got 80 plus. Clean I think Verner could get to over 80 with his quadless for progress, regress for success method which also won Olympic gold.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It took both Chan and Abbott underperforming for Verner to win COR. At the GPF, he would need 4 front runners to splat early and splat often to accomplish that, if he really brings it himself.

A program with the same jump layout as the Olympic winner is not the same program. Even that Olympic program might not have won if Daisuke had landed his quad or rotated it and was scored by this year's rules. Verner's program is lacking and his skills are not at the same level as the top 4.

He certainly can be the top European though.