Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Is Russian Men's Figure Skating dead?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    514

    Is Russian Men's Figure Skating dead?

    After great Yagudin-Pluschenko rivalry, there seems to be no great skaters left. Current skaters will have a hard time winning a bronze at Europeans. I don't see the situation changing any time soon.

  2. #2
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    it's just a cycle. it happens to all of the federations... look at Russian pairs skating, and ice dance... they're already rebounding, but it will take a few years.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,612
    It is not in a good place right now! Only one Russian man Artur Gachinksi completed two grand prix events this season and he came in 7th and 6th place in those events. Voronov injured and Borodulin has "boot problems". Menshov came in last in the free skate at the cup of Russia. Tretyakov placed below Gachinksi at cup of Russia. But in the junior grand prix events Russian men won silver in most of them. The season before they mostly won Bronze medals. Gachinski seems to be the best and most consistent and he did pop a quad at the Cup of Russia! Two spots at Euros and one at worlds. There doesn't seem to be a male Sotnikova or male Tuktamysheva.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    After great Yagudin-Pluschenko rivalry, there seems to be no great skaters left. Current skaters will have a hard time winning a bronze at Europeans. I don't see the situation changing any time soon.
    But it will change, I'm sure. Maybe not soon and not for 2014, but it will. I saw some really promising boys at the Russian cup events, 15 y.o. Maxim Kovtun, who now has good 3A and overall package and will go to the JGP next year, and even younger boys (b. in 1997-1998) like Tarasenko and Samarin, I'm sure some of them can change the situation

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,612
    Kovtun has a 3A? That is impressive because the two guys going to the Junior Grand Prix Final this year really don't yet.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,489
    I'm not so sure that Russian men's skating is dead. It might just be that Japanese men's skating is so much more alive than everyone else's. I've just seen Kozuka for the first time, and then there's Daisuke and also Oda, who with all his flaws is breathtaking when he's on. You'd have to be Yagudin and Baryshnikov rolled into one to stand out next to that group. And don't worry: one of those will probably come along eventually.

  7. #7
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    god I firstly read a russian male figure skater is dead ...
    LuckyStar I havent seen the other two, but I liked Tarasenko a lot this season.
    Is it true what I heard in TEB that Dimitriev Jr left Mishin for Tarasova? Deja vu?

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,020
    No, it's just a cycle. They have some decent juniors.

    Their pairs, dance and ladies seem to be gathering tons of momentum towards Sochi.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    651

    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=532405

    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Kovtun has a 3A? That is impressive because the two guys going to the Junior Grand Prix Final this year really don't yet.
    Yes, he did it in both programs at the Russian cup and it looked solid. I couldn't find video on youtube, but here is his 3A-3T at practice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCorRUGAExo
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Is it true what I heard in TEB that Dimitriev Jr left Mishin for Tarasova? Deja vu?
    Yes, it's true, but not for Tarasova, for Buyanova (Vodorezova), Sotnikova's and Borodulin's coach. But Tarasova often helps Buyanova's students, she choreographed both Sotnikova's programs and Borodulin's FS

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    But it will change, I'm sure. Maybe not soon and not for 2014, but it will. I saw some really promising boys at the Russian cup events, 15 y.o. Maxim Kovtun, who now has good 3A and overall package and will go to the JGP next year, and even younger boys (b. in 1997-1998) like Tarasenko and Samarin, I'm sure some of them can change the situation


    I just watched a few clips of him on youtube. I can't say he's has good overall package. He has good jumps and spins, but everything else needs work.

    I am looking for the next Yagudin, but I don't thing Russia will ever get one. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

  11. #11
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Ok thanx for confirmation
    I read that Borodulin has boot problems, but what kind of boot problem is that and he is thrown off the season?

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    Yes, he did it in both programs at the Russian cup and it looked solid. I couldn't find video on youtube, but here is his 3A-3T at practice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCorRUGAExo
    That was a good practice 3A-3T!

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,612
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Ok thanx for confirmation
    I read that Borodulin has boot problems, but what kind of boot problem is that and he is thrown off the season?
    I had to look up where I read it but Borodulin as a result of breaking his foot twice takes a long time to adjust to new boots. So it's like almost a foot problem.

  14. #14
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    No way is the Men's Division dead in Russia. There is plenty of talent that just has to get used to the current style of Men's skating. I do think the Soviet style is dead but the Russian style is beginning to take shape. Their Ice Dancers are now more versatile than before as are their Pairs. There is a decided difference between the Soviet style and the new breed of Russian male skaters. I think they should spend a few months with a coach/choreographer outside of Russia to put the finishing touches onto their excellent technique.

  15. #15
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Yes, it's true, but not for Tarasova, for Buyanova (Vodorezova), Sotnikova's and Borodulin's coach. But Tarasova often helps Buyanova's students, she choreographed both Sotnikova's programs and Borodulin's FS
    I really like the work Buyanova has done with her students. Adelina is fabulous, and she also developed Denis Ten and Elena G. Dimitriev's parents know what they are doing here.
    Last edited by bekalc; 11-28-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •