Is Russian Men's Figure Skating dead? | Golden Skate

Is Russian Men's Figure Skating dead?

volk

Final Flight
After great Yagudin-Pluschenko rivalry, there seems to be no great skaters left. Current skaters will have a hard time winning a bronze at Europeans. I don't see the situation changing any time soon.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's just a cycle. it happens to all of the federations... look at Russian pairs skating, and ice dance... they're already rebounding, but it will take a few years.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It is not in a good place right now! Only one Russian man Artur Gachinksi completed two grand prix events this season and he came in 7th and 6th place in those events. Voronov injured and Borodulin has "boot problems". Menshov came in last in the free skate at the cup of Russia. Tretyakov placed below Gachinksi at cup of Russia. But in the junior grand prix events Russian men won silver in most of them. The season before they mostly won Bronze medals. Gachinski seems to be the best and most consistent and he did pop a quad at the Cup of Russia! Two spots at Euros and one at worlds. There doesn't seem to be a male Sotnikova or male Tuktamysheva.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
After great Yagudin-Pluschenko rivalry, there seems to be no great skaters left. Current skaters will have a hard time winning a bronze at Europeans. I don't see the situation changing any time soon.

But it will change, I'm sure. Maybe not soon and not for 2014, but it will. I saw some really promising boys at the Russian cup events, 15 y.o. Maxim Kovtun, who now has good 3A and overall package and will go to the JGP next year, and even younger boys (b. in 1997-1998) like Tarasenko and Samarin, I'm sure some of them can change the situation

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun has a 3A? That is impressive because the two guys going to the Junior Grand Prix Final this year really don't yet.

I'm not so sure that Russian men's skating is dead. It might just be that Japanese men's skating is so much more alive than everyone else's. I've just seen Kozuka for the first time, and then there's Daisuke and also Oda, who with all his flaws is breathtaking when he's on. You'd have to be Yagudin and Baryshnikov rolled into one to stand out next to that group. And don't worry: one of those will probably come along eventually.

seniorita

Record Breaker
god I firstly read a russian male figure skater is dead ...
LuckyStar I havent seen the other two, but I liked Tarasenko a lot this season.
Is it true what I heard in TEB that Dimitriev Jr left Mishin for Tarasova? Deja vu?

oleada

Record Breaker
No, it's just a cycle. They have some decent juniors.

Their pairs, dance and ladies seem to be gathering tons of momentum towards Sochi.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=532405

Kovtun has a 3A? That is impressive because the two guys going to the Junior Grand Prix Final this year really don't yet.

Yes, he did it in both programs at the Russian cup and it looked solid. I couldn't find video on youtube, but here is his 3A-3T at practice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCorRUGAExo
Is it true what I heard in TEB that Dimitriev Jr left Mishin for Tarasova? Deja vu?
Yes, it's true, but not for Tarasova, for Buyanova (Vodorezova), Sotnikova's and Borodulin's coach. But Tarasova often helps Buyanova's students, she choreographed both Sotnikova's programs and Borodulin's FS

volk

Final Flight
But it will change, I'm sure. Maybe not soon and not for 2014, but it will. I saw some really promising boys at the Russian cup events, 15 y.o. Maxim Kovtun, who now has good 3A and overall package and will go to the JGP next year, and even younger boys (b. in 1997-1998) like Tarasenko and Samarin, I'm sure some of them can change the situation

I just watched a few clips of him on youtube. I can't say he's has good overall package. He has good jumps and spins, but everything else needs work.

I am looking for the next Yagudin, but I don't thing Russia will ever get one. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Ok thanx for confirmation
I read that Borodulin has boot problems, but what kind of boot problem is that and he is thrown off the season?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Ok thanx for confirmation
I read that Borodulin has boot problems, but what kind of boot problem is that and he is thrown off the season?

I had to look up where I read it but Borodulin as a result of breaking his foot twice takes a long time to adjust to new boots. So it's like almost a foot problem.

No way is the Men's Division dead in Russia. There is plenty of talent that just has to get used to the current style of Men's skating. I do think the Soviet style is dead but the Russian style is beginning to take shape. Their Ice Dancers are now more versatile than before as are their Pairs. There is a decided difference between the Soviet style and the new breed of Russian male skaters. I think they should spend a few months with a coach/choreographer outside of Russia to put the finishing touches onto their excellent technique.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yes, it's true, but not for Tarasova, for Buyanova (Vodorezova), Sotnikova's and Borodulin's coach. But Tarasova often helps Buyanova's students, she choreographed both Sotnikova's programs and Borodulin's FS

I really like the work Buyanova has done with her students. Adelina is fabulous, and she also developed Denis Ten and Elena G. Dimitriev's parents know what they are doing here.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am looking for the next Yagudin, but I don't thing Russia will ever get one. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

I would like to see any country produce the next Yagudin!

I haven't seen the next Torvill & Dean yet either.

Some skaters are just super special instead of just special.

Some day we'll see the next international stars!

ciocio

On the Ice
They have talented young skaters and the Federation must support them and cultivate their talent. Who misses Yagudin can watch him on Youtube or go to his shows, if the young Russians want to be successful they must develop their personal style.

Ellen

Rinkside
Figure Skating is on the rise now in Russia. All the ice-skating shows that have been on TV last 4 years (like 'Ice Age', 'Ice & Flame', etc.), and the tours of Olympics & World champions with shows across the country made figure skating more popular and attractive than ever before. More and more little children go into figure skating now. That should bring up new stars in men skating, no doubts.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
To answer the question posed in this thread, N-O, not after what I just read over on FSU! :) A Russian poster there said that yesterday the Russian media annouced that Evgeni is planning on taking a break this year from competition, but will stay in shape with shows in order to keep fit. That I already knew, but also Evgeni stated he plans on competing all three years up until Sochi, starting next season! :clap: And he & the Russian Federation will complete the paperwork at the end of this season, since he will not be competing this year. Totally understandable & makes perfect sense.

I've always had a great deal of respect for the Russian culture, history, people, et al, as I consider them the "real thing" when it comes to the arts, ballet, gymnastics, figure skating, royalty, etc. Everybody else is a pretender, they copy from them, but imho the Russians are the "real thing". And that includes Evgeni Plushenko.

http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta...o_Evgeniy-Plyuschenko-pristupil-k-trenirovkam

dlgpffps

Final Flight

That is a lot to ask for, given that Yagudin's considered one of the greatest male skaters of all time :laugh: Russian men hoarded the Olympic gold from 1992 to 2006. That's hard to match by any country. Like people have said, Russian male skating's going through a cycle. Given the numerous precedents, Russia's extensive skating infrastructure & the continuing interest in skating, I expect the hiatus to be short, though. Definitely not as long as, say, the gap between Yu-na and Korea's next super star. No worries. At least Russia has a growing crop of talent in the ladies division, a field in which Russia was historically weaker (although Irina and Maria held their own). While Russia's enamored by its exponentially developing ladies field, male talent will develop.