Predictions | Golden Skate

Predictions

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
MEN

1) Takahashi (narrowly, even if Chan falls)
2) Chan (no matter how he skates)
3) Kozuka
4) Verner
5) Oda
6) Amodio

LADIES

1) Murakami - I've got a feeling on this one.. could be wrong..
2) Flatt
3) Ando
4) Suzuki - semi-bombs one of the segments
5) Kostner - semi-bombs
6) Czisny - bombs due to nerves

PAIRS

1) S/S
2) B/L
3) I/M
4) MT/M
5) P/T - they're so not themselves from last year
6) S/H

DANCE

1) D/W (narrowly)
2) P/B
3) B/S
4) C/P (behind by a hair)
5) W/P
6) H/Z

lorrtta

Spectator
MEN

1) Takahashi
2) Kozuka
3) Oda
4) Chan
5) Verner
6) Amodio

LADIES

1) Ando
2) Kostner
3) Suzuki
4) Murakami
5) Czisny
6) Flatt

PAIRS

1) S/S
2) P/T
3) B/L
4) MT/M
5) S/H
6) I/M

DANCE

1) D/W
2) P/B
3) B/S
4) C/P
5) W/P
6) H/Z

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think it's too hard to predict without knowing more about Rachael. Has anyone heard/read anything about her injury and whether she is planning on going to the final?

If Rachael does show up, I think she will be well-prepared. I expect her to finish somewhere in the middle - third or fourth. This is based on her last two competitions, in which she skated well but a technically deficient Carolina and an imperfect, new-on-the-scene Murakami managed to beat her anyway. If Rachael wins, it will be because she does two back to back clean programs and nobody else does.

It's also hard to know how Miki and Kostner are doing with their own injuries :eek:hwell:

I kind of expect Murakami will medal - unless she starts feeling the pressure of being at her first major international competition and coming in as the SA gold medalist.

The rest are just too unpredictable. Suzuki needs to be spot-on because she doesn't have the difficulty. Alissa and Carolina too. But these three are rarely spot on, especially Alissa and Carolina.

Miki's the favorite but she seems so insecure about her skating these days. Still, if I had to bet on anyone for gold I suppose it would have to be her.

It's a pretty good field, no?? I think it will be a tough competition - but a bit upsetting that half the field is struggling with injuries. My favorite by far is Alissa but against this field - she cannot afford many mistakes.

Good luck to everyone and especially to Miki, Rachael and Carolina on recovering from and or managing their injuries.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
MEN

1) Kozuka
2) Chan
3) Takahashi
4) Oda
5) Verner
6) Amodio

Kozuka has the highest season's best score in the LP, with Chan's struggle on his consistency and traditionally not doing well at Grand Prix Final historically, Kozuka could carry his momentum into 1st. Oda is having adaptation issues with his SP and LP, which means he will likely need more mileage and this event may still be too early for him to do well. Takahashi's latest showing has not been too impressive and he too tends to do poorly at this event historically.

LADIES

1) Suzuki
2) Murakami
3) Ando
4) Flatt
5) Czisny
6) Kostner

Suzuki has the best overall package in this group, Ando has lost her way in my view. Murakami is exciting to watch and should turn some heads. Rachel Flatt, even if she skates clean, will not be able to match the Japanese ladies, sad but true, speaking as someone who has seen her skating live on countless occasions since 2008, both in competitions and outside. Alissa will likely continue to struggle with her consistency issue, which is what will hold her back. Carolina...personally, I have a real issue with someone scoring 60+ in a SP using 3t+2t and a 3Lo, on 7 elements. I do not expect this trend to continue, she will need to upgrade her content and stay on two feet.

PAIRS

1) S/S
2) P/T
3) MT/M
4) B/L
5) S/H
6) I/M

DANCE

1) D/W
2) P/B
3) C/P
4) W/P
5) B/S
6) H/Z

Quite underwhelmed so far by B/S in Ice Dance, they looked better last season.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
1) Kozuka
2) Takahashi
3) Chan
4) Oda
5) Verner
6) Amodio

Amodio is fun, but currently cannot match any of the top dogs.
Verner doesn't have the technical content nor PCS to compete with the top 4
Oda has the weakest PCS of the top 4, but can make up in technical, I suspect Chan will edge out for the bronze.
Takahashi wins the PCS segment, but has a few bobbles here and there. That leaves Kozuka for the gold.

LADIES

1) Ando
2) Flatt
3) Suzuki
4) Kostner
5) Murakami
6) Czisny

Ando, still injured, plays it safe. Wins by getting huge GOE on her 3 lutzes.
Flatt, still injured, but goes for it anyway. Lands everything. Improves PCS enough to edge out Suzuki.
Suzuki, highest PCS, but mistakes here and there, another bronze in the GPF
Kostner and Murakami will make a few mistakes, but Kostner has higher PCS.
Czisny, last, I have a hunch. :).

Layfan

Record Breaker
Czisny, last, I have a hunch. :).

Did you really have to add that happy face next to this? I'd be sad for any of these ladies if they came in sixth - that is what is so harsh about the GP Final. You're sixth in the GP series but what everyone remembers is that you finished last in a competition.

Trewyn

Medalist
Did you really have to add that happy face next to this? I'd be sad for any of these ladies if they came in sixth - that is what is so harsh about the GP Final. You're sixth in the GP series but what everyone remembers is that you finished last in a competition.

Yeah! It's true! The GPF is a harsh competition; it's so easy to finish last! Imagine finishing 6th at Worlds; for a lot of skaters that's an amazing accomplishment; but finishing sixth in the GPF is a 'bomb', a 'fail'.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Yeah! It's true! The GPF is a harsh competition; it's so easy to finish last! Imagine finishing 6th at Worlds; for a lot of skaters that's an amazing accomplishment; but finishing sixth in the GPF is a 'bomb', a 'fail'.

In theory true, but for the past years the 6th place finisher at the GPF usually bombed (ice dance not withstanding though).

AliasJohnDoe

Rinkside
MENS:
1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. Verner
4. Kozuka
5. Oda
6. Amodio

LADIES:
1. Czisny
2. Suzuki
3. Ando
4. Kostner
5. Flatt
6. Murakami

PAIRS:
1. S/S
2. B/L
3. P/T
4. MT/M
5. I/M
6. S/H

DANCE:
1. D/W
2. P/B
3. C/P
4. B/S
5. W/P
6. H/Z

zizi

Rinkside
MEN
1) Takahashi 2) Chan 3) Kozuka

LADIES
1) Ando 2) Kostner 3) Suzuki

PAIRS
1)S/S 2)B/L 3)MT/M

DANCE
1) D/W 2) P/B 3) B/S

Layfan

Record Breaker
I see all of these predictions for the ladies and they are so different yet with each list I think, huh, yeah that could be! I really think it's so unpredictable and any of these girls can medal or even win.

I've never been so cowardly to make a prediction!

The only sure thing is that Miki is the favorite.

NMURA

Medalist
MEN
Takahashi
Kozuka
Oda
Verner
Amodio
Chan

Chan falls at least 3 times and that's too much for the podium in this field. Judging from his poor records in Asia, he will end up in the last with 5 falls.

LADIES
Ando
Murakami
Suzuki
Flatt
Kostner
Czisny

They will hold up Murakami aggressively but she can't skate clean. Five triples Ando wins without much difficulty. Most people will agree Czisny will be the last.

PAIRS
Pang / Tong
Savchenko / Szolkowy
Sui / Han

Sav/Szol are considered as the favorite but you can't underestimate the home advantages. I'm pretty sure Sui/Han take the bronze.

ICE DANCE
Davis / White
Pechalat / Bourzat
Bobrova / Soloviev

NA fans may want the Canadian team in the 3rd, but the Russian #1 title always counts in ice dancing. Plus Russians are always favored one way or another in Communist China.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Men

1.) Chan
2.) Takahashi
3.) Verner
4.) Oda
5.) Kozuka
6.) Amodio

Chan finally stops falling so darn much and is able to win, Takahashi makes his usual mistakes but PCS keep his scores close to Chan, Verner tries the quad in the LP and skates two solid programs to end up on the podium, Oda skates fine but not great and is lacking a little bit in the presentation department, Kozuka has an off night ala 2010 Worlds, the judges don't buy Amodio's tacky program and PCS keep him so low.

Ladies

1.) Ando
2.) Murakami
3.) Flatt
4.) Suzuki
5.) Czisny
6.) Kostner

Ando jumps her way to the title, Kanako and Rachael skate well but can't edge out Miki, Suzuki makes some mistakes as usual and those keep her off the podium, Czisny lets the nerves get the best of her, Kostner's injury and nerves bug her and her content won't help matters either.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Men

1. Takahashi
2. Kozuka
3. Chan
4. Oda
5. Verner
6. Amodio

Ladies

1. Suzuki
2. Murakami
3. Flatt
4. Ando
5. Czisny
6. Kostner

evangeline

Record Breaker
NA fans may want the Canadian team in the 3rd, but the Russian #1 title always counts in ice dancing. Plus Russians are always favored one way or another in Communist China.

Have you heard of the Sino-Soviet split? ;)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno, NMURA. I/M lost to the American pairs at CoC, Leonova only got bronze due a COP quirk (otherwise Nagasu would have). B/S won silver over a very flawed F/S. It'll be close and I'm thinking now B/S will take it, but I don't know how much Russia will be aided by the location

fairly4

Medalist
men --it can go--
daisuke, chan for title with nobunari and tahakio upsetting apple cart. those 4 in running for medals.
i can see verner medaling and winning if the above 4 mess up and he skates clean.
amodio medaling if he skates clean-not winning but a medal is possible, but the four has to mess up.

Dance
davis/which, 1st
pechalat, bourzat2nd
boborova/soloview for the medals3rd

pairs
savachenko/skolzowy and pang and ton for the title
sui/han for 3rd-barazova and larionov fighhting for 3rd

ladies
i can see the japanes ladies sweeping,
what i would like is this
miki-1st
alissia-2nd
caroline kostner-3rd
akiko --4th
rachel--5th
kanako--6th
however if miki, kanako, caroline kostner does triple/triples i see them medaling with alissa, rachel having outside shots at medals
what might happen is this
miki-1st
akiko--2nd
caroline kosnter 3rd
rachel 4th
kanako, alissa 5th, 6th
but it depends on who does triple/triples and who skates well, they are so many different screnarios.i can't really place the ladies . only rachel was consistent, yet didn't get the scoress, all the other skaters had problems in at least one of their skates.
akiko and miki skated clean in theirs also. so it can be miki rachel akiko.
i just don't know.

NMURA

Medalist
Have you heard of the Sino-Soviet split? ;)

Have you heard of the new Russo-Chinese honeymoon after the Cold War, especially after the 9.11 incident? They are close comrades against the US dominance (anti-terrorism, pushing democracy, etc). Anyway, I'm sure Canadians can't beat Russians in China.