Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Predictions

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was just wondering about the fact that all the podium medalists at Cup of China in dance were European was that because that was like the only GP event where US or Canada didn't send their good teams?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Have you heard of the new Russo-Chinese honeymoon after the Cold War, especially after the 9.11 incident? They are close comrades against the US dominance (anti-terrorism, pushing democracy, etc). Anyway, I'm sure Canadians can't beat Russians in China.

:confused:

So, will the Red Army arrest those disobedient international judges and send them to a labor camp for life?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
ROTFL at nearly all of you not picking Chan as the winner. Have some of you been in a coma for several months or something? Anyway I see:

Pairs:

1st- Savchenko & Szolkowy
2nd- Pang & Tong
3rd- Barzova & Larionov
4th- Moore Towers & Moscovitch
5th- Sui & Han
6th- Other Russian pair

Men:

1st- Chan (unless he has atleast 6 falls and Takahashi is squeeky clean and spectacular)
2nd- Takahashi
3rd- Verner
4th- Kozuka
5th- Oda
6th- Amodio

Dance:

Gold- Davis & White
Silver- Pechalat & Bourazat
Bronze- Bobrova & Soloviev
4th- Crone & Poirier
5th- Hoffmann & Zavozin
6th- Weaver & Poje

Ladies:

Gold- Suzuki
Silver- Ando
Bronze- Murakami
4th- Czisny
5th- Flatt
6th- Kostner

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
ROTFL at nearly all of you not picking Chan as the winner. Have some of you been in a coma for several months or something?

I already called out such drama with lack of conviction a few days ago on the Finalists And Substitutes thread. Chan has so far recieved fewer than 1% votes to win on Tony Wheeler's site.

If politics were the deciding factor on competition outcomes, should we go by the almighty Skate Canada, the Superpower of the skating world, or should we pick the Russians to win unless they are up against the Chinese?

So, in Pairs and Dance, Skate Canada will butt heads with the Red Army. Poor little powerless Americans can only watch the clash of the Titans on the sideline. Let's hope there won't be too much bloodshed.

Last edited:
B

bingbing

S/S lost their baggage containing their skating shoes and costumes during their flight back to Germany.And if they won`t find their skating shoes back in 3 days ,they will withdraw the GPF.My goodness!:mad:I don`t think they will find things back in such a short time.How unlucky they are during the whole year!It seems it`s the will of God that P/Twill win.

herios

Medalist
S/S lost their baggage containing their skating shoes and costumes during their flight back to Germany.And if they won`t find their skating shoes back in 3 days ,they will withdraw the GPF.My goodness!:mad:I don`t think they will find things back in such a short time.How unlucky they are during the whole year!It seems it`s the will of God that P/Twill win.

That is old news, they have found them and they are going

Poodlepal

On the Ice
My predictions and why:
Men:
1. Patrick Chan--fell 2 times, but oh, those edges!
2. Daisuke--fell 1 time, but slapped himself in the face during footwork.
3. Kozuka--skated clean, but judges felt was "introverted"
4. Tomas--skated clean, but judges think Michael Jackson routine is tacky
5. Florent--see above (but he's been around shorter than Tomas)
6. Nobinari Oda--brought the crowd to its feet with his thrilling performance. But oops--he did three axels and four lutzes, so half of his jumps didn't count.
The next day, a thread will start about how Oda and Kazuka were robbed.

Ladies
1. Miki Ando--came in 6th in the short, but won the long by a huge margin
2. Akiko Suzuki--came in 2nd in both, and did a lovely skate. May have been robbed
3. Carolina Kostner--true, she didn't do hard jumps, but she skates with such speed and line! Won the short.
4. Murakami--probably could have won a medal, but judges didn't want Japanese sweep
5. Rachael--poor Rachael. Skated clean to the naked eye, but judges picked until they found something on her. Also low PCS.
6. Alissa--what a shame the nerves got the best of her.

This is not what I would like to happen--I'd like to see a man decide to take a rest (but not get injured) and have Jeremy there, and I'd like Alissa to win. But I don't see either of those happening.

prettykeys

Medalist
Poodlepal :rofl:

Men:
1) Kozuka
2) Takahashi
3) Chan
4) Oda
5) Verner
6) Amodio

Ladies:
1) Ando
2) Murakami
3) Flatt
4) Suzuki
5) Kostner
6) Czisny

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My predictions and why:
Men:
1. Patrick Chan--fell 2 times, but oh, those edges!
2. Daisuke--fell 1 time, but slapped himself in the face during footwork.
3. Kozuka--skated clean, but judges felt was "introverted"
4. Tomas--skated clean, but judges think Michael Jackson routine is tacky
5. Florent--see above (but he's been around shorter than Tomas)
6. Nobinari Oda--brought the crowd to its feet with his thrilling performance. But oops--he did three axels and four lutzes, so half of his jumps didn't count.
The next day, a thread will start about how Oda and Kazuka were robbed.

Ladies
1. Miki Ando--came in 6th in the short, but won the long by a huge margin
2. Akiko Suzuki--came in 2nd in both, and did a lovely skate. May have been robbed
3. Carolina Kostner--true, she didn't do hard jumps, but she skates with such speed and line! Won the short.
4. Murakami--probably could have won a medal, but judges didn't want Japanese sweep
5. Rachael--poor Rachael. Skated clean to the naked eye, but judges picked until they found something on her. Also low PCS.
6. Alissa--what a shame the nerves got the best of her.

This is not what I would like to happen--I'd like to see a man decide to take a rest (but not get injured) and have Jeremy there, and I'd like Alissa to win. But I don't see either of those happening.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
My Dream Podiums:

Men:

1.) Verner - with no Lysacek and no Joubert at the GPF this season, he fills the role of the manly man skater (aka he isn't diminutive and asian or morozov-ified :laugh:). Comes in 4th or 5th in the SP but scores are close and then skates a clean FS with the quad and the Chinese crowd goes crazy for his MJ, wins overall.

2.) Kozuka - outskates his Japanese teammates and rightfully places ahead of them. His introvertedness and a few mistakes in the FS keep him from winning, but overall he is great.

3.) Takahashi - makes the same mistakes he has been making all season but still sells his programs for all they are worth. His PCS keep him on the podium.

4.) Oda - he makes a mistake in the SP and then his LP is just really boring. A couple of bobbles/counting errors :p keeps him off the podium.

5.) Amodio - first trip to the GPF so he's a little nervous and makes some mistakes. That combined with lower PCS keeps him down this far.

6.) Chan - I'm fine with him winning if he skates clean but if he falls 4 times again in this competition he honestly deserves to be in last, especially considering the 5 other men at this event are extremely talented themselves. So I predict he falls 4 times and this time the judges don't let him off so easy.

Ladiezz:

1.) Murakami - she's the only one who skates clean and isn't sleep inducing. Extra points for perkiness! :)

2.) Czisny - clean SP and only one jump mistake in the FS, PCS aren't as high as they were in Canada but her scores are strong enough for silver

3.) Ando - she gets a new SP, but it's still not good, and then does a jumping lesson in the FS, but shows no emotion so her PCS are docked accordingly. Ends up 3rd just because of the quality of her jumps but if it weren't for others mistakes she'd finish lower.

4.) Flatt - skates clean but gets issued a few downgrades and that combined with lowish PCS keeps her behind Ando.

5.) Suzuki - you can't pop your jumps and expect to win a medal. She has an off night with her jumps and even her amazing footwork and energy aren't enough to get her on the podium.

6.) Kostner - her novice level content hurts her, and then she has bobbles in the FS. injury is still clearly affecting her so she need not feel too bad about finishing last.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I played with Men's numbers and came up with placements by various factors. May be interesting for extrapolation and analysis. I will try doing the Ladies later.

By event placement points:

1. Kozuka.......30
2. Takahashi...30
3. Chan..........28
4. Verner........26
5. Oda...........26
6. Amodio.......24

By Total Scores:

1. Kozuka........481.58
2. Chan...........466.73
3. Oda.............462.61
4. Takahashi.....461.86
5. Verner..........445.12
6. Amodio.........443.15

By Scores in a single event:

1. Kozuka........248.07
2. Chan...........239.52
3. Oda............236.52
4. Takahashi....234.79
4a. Kozuka.......233.51
5. Verner.........230.31
6. Amodio........229.38

8. Chan...........227.31
9. Takahashi.....227.07
10. Oda...........226.09
11. Verner........214.81
12. Amodio.......213.99

By Total of Best SP + Best LP

1. Chan..........248.28
2. Kozuka.......248.07
3. Oda...........236.52
4. Takahashi...235.03
5. Verner........230.31
6. Amodio.......229.38

By Lowest SP + Lowest LP

1. Kozuka........233.51
2. Takahashi....226.99
3. Oda............226.09
4. Chan...........225.34
5. Verner.........214.81
6. Amodio........213.77

If 6 points are given for each 1st place, 5 for 2nd, etc....from the above lists:

1. Kozuka........29
2. Chan...........23
3. Takahashi....19
4. Oda.............18
5. Verner.........11
6. Amodio.........6

Well, it's all much ado about nothing as the final list is almost exactly the same as the first. Need I do this for the Ladies? I think everybody is having fun doing it however way they like.

Edited to note that without "jump counting" mistakes, Oda could improve his optimal score (Best SP + best LP) but not enough to move up on that list, whereas Chan could improve his worst case scenario score enough to move to 2nd place in that list but not on the final list.

Edited: Ha nobody caught a mistake I made. I reversed Oda and Takahashi on one of the lists, resulting in only 1 pt difference in the final list but no change in ranking there.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I played with Men's numbers and came up with placements by various factors. May be interesting for extrapolation and analysis. I will try doing the Ladies later.

By event placement points:

1. Kozuka.......30
2. Takahashi...30
3. Chan..........28
4. Verner........26
5. Oda...........26
6. Amodio.......24

By Total Scores:

1. Kozuka........481.58
2. Chan...........466.73
3. Oda.............462.61
4. Takahashi.....461.86
5. Verner..........445.12
6. Amodio.........443.15

By Scores in a single event:

1. Kozuka........248.07
2. Chan...........239.52
3. Takahashi....234.79
4. Oda............236.52
4a. Kozuka.......233.51
5. Verner.........230.31
6. Amodio........229.38

8. Chan...........227.31
9. Takahashi.....227.07
10. Oda...........226.09
11. Verner........214.81
12. Amodio.......213.99

By Total of Best SP + Best LP

1. Chan..........248.28
2. Kozuka.......248.07
3. Oda...........236.52
4. Takahashi...235.03
5. Verner........230.31
6. Amodio.......229.38

By Lowest SP + Lowest LP

1. Kozuka........233.51
2. Takahashi....226.99
3. Oda............226.09
4. Chan...........225.34
5. Verner.........214.81
6. Amodio........213.77

If 6 points are given for each 1st place, 5 for 2nd, etc....from the above lists:

1. Kozuka........29
2. Chan...........23
3. Takahashi....20
4. Oda............17
5. Verner.........11
6. Amodio.........6

Well, it's all much ado about nothing as the final list is almost exactly the same as the first. Need I do this for the Ladies? I think everybody is having fun doing it however way they like.

Edited to note that without "jump counting" mistakes, Oda could improve his optimal score (Best SP + best LP) but not enough to move up on that list, whereas Chan could improve his worst case scenario score enough to move to 2nd place in that list but not on the final list.

For a statistician like me (majored in it, never practised it), I like to do similar things, but I would not like to jinx my favorites:)
The only thing I want to tell here, I will be watching very closely the outcome for the men in this event, 4 yeas ago,similar situation (new quadranial), the men who ended 1-2 in the GPF, were Joubert and Takahashi and later at the worlds in Tokyo in 2007, they reapeated as 1-2. The winner here might win again later in ..Tokyo

wallylutz

Medalist
For a statistician like me (majored in it, never practised it), I like to do similar things, but I would not like to jinx my favorites:)
The only thing I want to tell here, I will be watching very closely the outcome for the men in this event, 4 yeas ago,similar situation (new quadranial), the men who ended 1-2 in the GPF, were Joubert and Takahashi and later at the worlds in Tokyo in 2007, they reapeated as 1-2. The winner here might win again later in ..Tokyo

Therefore, we can conclude the results are fixed in advance. ;)

herios

Medalist
Therefore, we can conclude the results are fixed in advance. ;)

Nope, that is not what I meant. Rather the men who are in form in the fall season, will carry it over into spring and remain the guys in form throughout the whole season.
That could really happen.And I would not be surprised at all.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lost my Ladies' data and lists to the cyber rabbit hole. :mad:

:bang:

OK, this is now another day. Am not redoing the Ladies' stat for now. But I can have a little fun with the Men's stat to argue against silverlake's dream podium. :biggrin:

1.) Verner - with no Lysacek and no Joubert at the GPF this season, he fills the role of the manly man skater (aka he isn't diminutive and asian or morozov-ified ). Comes in 4th or 5th in the SP but scores are close and then skates a clean FS with the quad and the Chinese crowd goes crazy for his MJ, wins overall.

This is an extremely low probability scenario, manly or not. Verner's best possible scores by this season's performance so far would put him in 2nd if everybody else does their probable absolute worst (combination of worst SP and worst LP). His clean LP is a long way off to pull him up from 4th or 5th in SP.

Placements for Kozuka, Takahashi and Oda are all within reasonable probability.

5.) Amodio - first trip to the GPF so he's a little nervous and makes some mistakes. That combined with lower PCS keeps him down this far.

Assuming the the first 4 places have been decided, Amodio needs to beat Chan to be in 5th. He wouldn't do this by being a little nervous and making some mistakes because his best combination of both programs (229.38) is only 4 poinst higher than Chan's worst combination, with 3 falls in each program! 6 falls for Chan, not likely, in my very humble and unpopular opinion. Even then, he may count his jumps well like he did in SC rather than in COR. Nah, Amodio needs Chan to do two nice clean programs with URs and popped jumps instead.

6.) Chan - I'm fine with him winning if he skates clean but if he falls 4 times again in this competition he honestly deserves to be in last, especially considering the 5 other men at this event are extremely talented themselves. So I predict he falls 4 times and this time the judges don't let him off so easy.

Unfortunately so far judges seem to mark by the rules and the computer has been too insentive to comply with the wishes of some fans in its calculations. Nope, 4 falls wouldn't do it. There are other ways for him to sink to the bottom, just not by his usual mistakes.

Not saying each skater's placement as you dream of is not possible, silverlake, just highly unlikely in the way you placed them all and the way each wins or loses.

My bet is on a not so "manly" skater to win.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. :laugh:

Dreams, nightmares, and reality. :think:

Last edited:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
These are predictions, NOT hopes..... believe me, my hopes are quite different.
MEN:
1. Takahashi
2. Oda
3. Chan
4. Kozuka
5. Verner
6. Amodio

LADIES:
1. Suzuki
2. Murakami
3. Ando
4. Flatt
5. Kostner
6. Czisny

PAIRS:
1. S/S
2. P/T
3. B/L
4. S/H
5. I/M
6. M/M

DANCE:
1. D/W
2. P/B
3. B/S
4. W/P
5. C/P
6. H/Z

Layfan

Record Breaker
My Dream Podiums:

Men:

1.) Verner - with no Lysacek and no Joubert at the GPF this season, he fills the role of the manly man skater (aka he isn't diminutive and asian or morozov-ified :laugh:). Comes in 4th or 5th in the SP but scores are close and then skates a clean FS with the quad and the Chinese crowd goes crazy for his MJ, wins overall.

2.) Kozuka - outskates his Japanese teammates and rightfully places ahead of them. His introvertedness and a few mistakes in the FS keep him from winning, but overall he is great.

3.) Takahashi - makes the same mistakes he has been making all season but still sells his programs for all they are worth. His PCS keep him on the podium.

4.) Oda - he makes a mistake in the SP and then his LP is just really boring. A couple of bobbles/counting errors :p keeps him off the podium.

Ladiezz:

1.) Murakami - she's the only one who skates clean and isn't sleep inducing. Extra points for perkiness! :)

2.) Czisny - clean SP and only one jump mistake in the FS, PCS aren't as high as they were in Canada but her scores are strong enough for silver

3.) Ando - she gets a new SP, but it's still not good, and then does a jumping lesson in the FS, but shows no emotion so her PCS are docked accordingly. Ends up 3rd just because of the quality of her jumps but if it weren't for others mistakes she'd finish lower.

4.) Flatt - skates clean but gets issued a few downgrades and that combined with lowish PCS keeps her behind Ando.

5.) Suzuki - you can't pop your jumps and expect to win a medal. She has an off night with her jumps and even her amazing footwork and energy aren't enough to get her on the podium.

6.) Kostner - her novice level content hurts her, and then she has bobbles in the FS. injury is still clearly affecting her so she need not feel too bad about finishing last.

I'm down with your analysis, Silverlake :thumbsup:

Only thing is I'm not so sure Murakami will skate clean - she has yet to do so, no? Still, she seem to be one of the those skaters who can afford a mistake or two. Miki, too, so I can't imagine she will miss the podium - whether it's first, second or third.

I hope you are right about Alissa.

Somebody has to be last, which is heartbreaking. I can't help but wonder if it will be Kostner - you are right about her content and all it will take is a few mistakes. Plus, she's injured. I wonder if she'll make it through the whole final. If she does - you can NEVER count her out. The weird thing with this group is that I think any of these ladies could win, depending on what kind of night they all have. If anybody but Miki wins, it will be considered a "surprise victory." But I won't be surprised if any of them win.

As for the men, I just can't see Chan off the podium. I think he'll either build up a considerable lead in the SP and be able to make some mistake in the FS or make a few mistakes in the SP and come back big in the FS....

I think it will be Takahashi, Kozuka and Chan on the podium in whatever order. Again, it will be heartbreaking to see any of these guys last because they are all so good.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men:
1. Kozuka
2. Chan
3. Takahashi
4. Oda
5. Verner
6. Amodio

Ladies:
1. Ando
2. Suzuki
3. Kostner
4. Czisny
5. Murakami
6. Flatt

Pairs:
1. S/S
2. P/T
3. B/L
4. I/M
5. M-T/M
6. S/H

Dance:
1. D/W
2. P/B
3. C/P
4. B/S
5. W/P
6. H/Z

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Im down with your analysis, Silverlake :thumbsup:

Only thing is I'm not so sure Murakami will skate clean - she has yet to do so, no? Still, she seem to be one of the those skaters who can afford a mistake or two. Miki, too, so I can't imagine she will miss the podium - whether it's first, second or third.
'
I hope you are right about Alissa.

Somebody has to be last, which is heartbreaking. I can't help but wonder if it will be Kostner - you are right about her content and all it will take is a few mistakes. Plus, she's injured. I wonder if she'll make it through the whole final. If she does - you can NEVER count her out. The weird thing with this group is that I think any of these ladies could win, depending on what kind of night they all have. If anybody but Miki wins, it will be considered a "surprise victory." But I won't be surprised if any of them win.

As for the men, I just can't see Chan off the podium. I think he'll either build up a considerable lead in the SP and be able to make some mistake in the FS or make a few mistakes in the SP and come back big in the FS....

I think it will be Takahashi, Kozuka and Chan on the podium in whatever order. Again, it will be heartbreaking to see any of these guys last because they are all so good.

I'm not sure about Murakami either, hence why I said Dream Podiums :). I think Oda will play spoiler here, it seems like most people have predicted he finishes OTP but he has those amazing jumps and could potentially win the event depending on what goes down. Even Amodio I think has a chance to medal, I mean he has been so on with his jumps this far this season and if the other men continue to make mistakes....who knows. You are probably right about Chan and if he skates well he totally deserves to medal, I was just trying to say that if he mops the ice with his butt again he probably doesn't deserve to be up there. I agree about Miki as a near lock for the podium but an interested to see what the judges think of her new SP - I tend to think anything will be an improvement from the old one but you never know with Morozov...