Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release | Golden Skate

Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release

EWalker

On the Ice
Just released to Goldenskate today:

YUNA KIM REVEALS INFORMATION ABOUT 2010-2011 NEW PROGRAMS

Kim to skate to “Giselle” in short program and play “Homage to Korea” in free program

November 29th 2010 (Seoul, Republic of Korea) - Yuna Kim revealed information about the music for her programs which will debut at the World Figure Skating Championship in Tokyo in March next year.

Kim announced through All That Sports, her management company, that the new programs were choreographed by David Wilson with whom she has enjoyed a successful four year partnership. The music to the short program will feature excerpts from the classical ballet Giselle and the free program a montage of Korean traditional music, including Arirang.

“This is the first time that I chose ballet music for my program. I think it will be a great opportunity to show another side of me,” explained Yuna Kim on the short program. “I like the actual story of Giselle. I look forward to fully expressing the dramatic and lyrical interpretation of the music in my program.”

“It’s a passionate, dynamic, and strong music that has a story full of emotional complexity,” expressed David Wilson on the program. He added, “Although it’s a short program, it feels like a long program because it has such a rich story. It's a very intense journey and a fabulous opportunity for Yuna to display her power of expressing complex emotions through the strength of her skating performance.”

On his impression on the new program, Peter Oppegard commented, “It’s a new level of sophistication in her movement. When we first met, the first thing she mentioned was about further enhancing her artistry. This program allows Yuna to expand her already well-known artistic abilities to new horizons.”

David Wilson also explained the background to how Korean traditional music was chosen for the skater’s free program. “Yuna’s long program is an homage to her home country, a love letter from Kim to Korea. It’s Yuna’s gift and tribute to all of her fans and country that showed her unwavering support throughout her career in competitive skating.” He went on to explain, “Yuna is such a well-loved sports hero throughout the world and somewhat of an icon in Korea. As an Olympic champion, I think this is the perfect timing to share who she is and where she comes from culturally with the rest of the world. Through this program, I hope she can bring to attention to the world stage what is nearest and dearest to her heart…and that is Korea”, clearly showing his love towards Korea and its people.

Yuna Kim also explained the meaning of her new free program. “David Wilson had often recommended Arirang (one of the most famous Korean folk music) for program music. However, I had my reservations because I thought it was never the right time. After the success at the Olympics, I thought now is the right time to give back to the people of Korea and to thank them for their enthusiastic support.”

On the long program, Peter Oppegard stated, “When I first saw Yuna doing the free program, it took my breath away because she comes to a point after she does her first triple lutz – triple toe and skates around with a freedom in her movement that looks really beautiful. There is true joy and freedom in her movement and skating. I hope she fully delivers these emotions to the audience.” He added, “I also feel that she has a sense of her country and people with her and that in a way, she is giving back and showing appreciation for where she came from.”

Yuna Kim continues to train with Peter Oppegard at the East West Ice Palace located in Artesia, California since October. She will debut her new programs at the 2011 World Figure Skating Championships in Tokyo next March.

For further information, please contact

Hee-Sung Koo
All That Sports

Helen Choi
All That Sports

wallylutz

Medalist
according to the already outdated latest issue of IFS she said she was not doing 4CC.

So she honestly think she can just waltz into Tokyo as her first competition of the year and expect to do well?

Has she ever thought what if she bombed due to lack of mileage?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
So she honestly think she can just waltz into Tokyo as her first competition of the year and expect to do well?

If Yu-Na skates as well as she did at her first competitions of the 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons she will easily win Worlds this year.

I pray her programs are as good as they were at 2007 Worlds. It wouldn't surprise me if the podium this year is the same as 2007, just in a different order:

1. Yu-Na
2. Miki
3. Mao

That result would also give each of these Ladies a World medal of every color.

urigio

Spectator
I am guessing she has thought about it.
But I think it may have been more important for her to take time off after the Olympics?

I hope she doesn't bomb since it may be the only time we see the two programs.

Based on what we have seen from the other ladies so far this year, Kim only needs to skate half as well as she is capable of to win worlds.

wallylutz

Medalist
This is not a sport you can just do the Worlds as your 1st competition of the year and expect to do well, let alone win it. Plushenko was semi-retired but he still did: Rostelecom Cup, Russian Nationals and Euros prior to Vancouver in 2009-2010.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
If Yu-Na skates as well as she did at her first competitions of the 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons she will easily win Worlds this year.

I pray her programs are as good as they were at 2007 Worlds. It wouldn't surprise me if the podium this year is the same as 2007, just in a different order:

1. Yu-Na
2. Miki
3. Mao

That result would also give each of these Ladies a World medal of every color.

It's a pretty big "if".

prettykeys

Medalist
OMG! Some real news, finally!!! *jumps in excitement* I'm so excited and happy to hear it's moving along. ^_______^!!!

So she honestly think she can just lutz into Tokyo as her first competition of the year and expect to do well?

Has she ever thought what if she bombed due to lack of mileage?
Well, she didn't state that she expects to do well, but I'm sure she intends to try her best. Either way, mistakes or not, win or not, I'm just gonna be so happy to see her skating again. :love:

I hope you don't mind the liberty I took in modifying your post... ;)

wallylutz

Medalist
Based on what we have seen from the other ladies so far this year, Kim only needs to skate half as well as she is capable of to win worlds.

Sorry Mathman, I think it's silly and dangerous to use GP results as a predictor of how the ladies will skate comes Worlds in March. Case in point, Oda was superb and remained the only one who beat Lysacek last season during the GP - yet, we all know what happened to him at Worlds. Similarly, Rochette bombed her GP and GPF last year, but skated totally clean at her LP at Canadian Nationals and posted 200+ scores in the Olympics. In the absence of a dominant skater, others will rise, you better believe that will happen. I hope Mao will recover by March, if not, someone else will rise to the occasion.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Eeeeeee, don't jinx her. ;)

To be honest, because the scoring of CoP has changed so much, we don't know how much of a cushion YuNa will have if she makes mistakes. If mistakes are more costly (because of the diminished GoE's, double-axel limitation in the LP, etc.), and YuNa does have a hard time keeping it together (being away from competition doesn't necessarily mean she will be rusty, but rather, I'm more worried that she may find her nerves are back)...well, I would imagine that Miki, Mao, or even Suzuki might be ready to pass her.

Still, I would imagine that YuNa is a more reliable bet than the others right now.

wallylutz

Medalist
Still...who is going to beat her?

Good question, but I am not going to give you a clear answer yet. ;) I don't want to jinx anyone but I will say that the 2011 Worlds will be very exciting and we will likely see some rising stars.

prettykeys

Medalist
wallylutz, who doesn't hope Mao recovers? She remains one of the most exquisite and talented female skaters, and her programs this year, if skated clean and with conviction, would be magnificent. I would definitely not think that Worlds is a foregone conclusion, anything can indeed happen, and...I can't wait...!

wallylutz

Medalist
Well, she didn't state that she expects to do well, but I'm sure she intends to try her best. Either way, mistakes or not, win or not, I'm just gonna be so happy to see her skating again. :love:

No, she didn't say that however, I bet she has no intention of becoming Oda #2 or Carolina's lost sister either. :eek:

prettykeys

Medalist
No, she didn't say that however, I bet she has no intention of becoming Oda #2 or Carolina's lost sister either. :eek:
hehe, maybe that's why she skipped the Grand Prix...and likely skipping the 4CC...and just showing up at Worlds. Doing something neither of those two have done. :cool:

j/k...I know what you mean, and I agree with your logic. I would have liked for her to go to 4CC at least to try her programs out, get a little warm-up, and see how receptive the judges and audience is to them, but I kinda trust YuNa knows what she's doing when she's choosing to do it. Well, I am a fan, afterall. Check out my avatar. :cool:

jaylee

Medalist
Sorry Mathman, I think it's silly and dangerous to use GP results as a predictor of how the ladies will skate comes Worlds in March. Case in point, Oda was superb and remained the only one who beat Lysacek last season during the GP - yet, we all know what happened to him at Worlds. Similarly, Rochette bombed her GP and GPF last year, but skated totally clean at her LP at Canadian Nationals and posted 200+ scores in the Olympics. In the absence of a dominant skater, others will rise, you better believe that will happen. I hope Mao will recover by March, if not, someone else will rise to the occasion.

I understand what you're saying, but since success on the GP doesn't ensure success at Worlds, that's the very reason that not doing the GP should not be an insurmountable barrier to doing well at Worlds.

The winner of the ladies GPF has not won Worlds since Irina in the 2004-2005 season. This season, no one has won in particularly dominant or impressive fashion this season on the GP for the ladies.

Back to the topic, I'm thrilled with her choice of music.

Last edited: