Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release

Johnnnn

On the Ice
I think he/she was talking about the Asian Games controversy recently in Taekwando when a Taiwanese was disqualified and blamed the Koreans. I think it made the news.

Yep. Taiwanese Taekwando player was wearing a illigal sensors on her socks, referee told her to take it off, so she did, and she was winning, but officials had a meeting at the back, deciding to disqualify her according to the rules. It's like a skater showing up with springs on his/her skates.

jaylee

Medalist
When my grandparents were brought to Japan, and forced to work in the Japanese Army base, they endured their hard labor with the song, Arirang. My mom burst into tears when she knew she would hear the music in Tokyo. She has lived in Japan for her whole life and got married to a Japanese man, my father. She doesn't even speak Korean, but something about this music, it's like some kinds of emotion are engraved in your gene. I think most Koreans feel the same way.

So, my answer to your question is, I believe she's doing it because it might be the last time to show her gratitude toward her country. "The hommage to Korea", aka Arirang in Japan. It might not impress anyone in the world, but definitely, Koreans and half-Korean like me will get the message. I'm so grateful she compromised her chance of winning and chose harder way for my mother.

What a touching story. Thank you for sharing.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
If this is about old grudges, are you saying that Yu-na won't compete in Taiwan, but she's OK with Tokyo?

Japanese people tend to reserve their emotions in public because they grealty care about how they are portrayed to other people.

wallylutz

Medalist
When my grandparents were brought to Japan, and forced to work in the Japanese Army base, they endured their hard labor with the song, Arirang. My mom burst into tears when she knew she would hear the music in Tokyo. She has lived in Japan for her whole life and got married to a Japanese man, my father. She doesn't even speak Korean, but something about this music, it's like some kinds of emotion are engraved in your gene. I think most Koreans feel the same way.

So, my answer to your question is, I believe she's doing it because it might be the last time to show her gratitude toward her country. "The hommage to Korea", aka Arirang in Japan. It might not impress anyone in the world, but definitely, Koreans and half-Korean like me will get the message. I'm so grateful she compromised her chance of winning and chose harder way for my mother.

Ah...o.k., thanks for sharing this. Even today, a lot of Japanese people still don't consider you and your mother to be their citizens. Your explanation seems reasonable and respectable to me. I hope she continues to skate competitively for the years to come.

Let me also add it will impress me greatly.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist

I'm touched by your story. Thank you for coming here and sharing it with us.

Your lineage sounds like it might be hard at times...but I'm sure it is also wonderful to be permeated by two cultures, as well.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Since when have you become a mind reader, Mathman? :laugh:

For the record, I thought you meant her mom, too, and I don't blame Mathman and everyone else for thinking so too. You deliberately mentioned some mystery person and wouldn't name them - it was an obvious invitation for people to guess who you were talking about. Now you are annoyed at people for guessing.

There is no way for me to know for sure but I have strong feeling that Yuna herself was very much involved in her decision to skip the GP series. I doubt her agents or anyone else would have stood in her way if she really really wanted to do the GP or would have tried to convince her to skip them. I'm sure that decision was her own. Should they have pressured her into doing the GP? I doubt that would have made for a very happy or productive skater? Should they have pointed out to her that what she is doing is risky and very unusual? Well - how do we know they didnt??? And I'm sure Yuna already knew that without anyone having to tell her.

(Arisa - thank you so much for sharing that story about Arirang. I'm going to Youtube it:) )

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Well given what happend with takwando rule bending... not just at the Asian games, can you honestly blame the Taiwanese? It happened time and time again. Anyways.. let's not wonder off the thread :p

gourry

Final Flight

Oh. I haven't thought in that way before. It is very touching story, Arisa.
Really hope Yuna will perform beautiful skatings at Worlds.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
For the record, I thought you meant her mom, too, and I don't blame Mathman and everyone else for thinking so too. You deliberately mentioned some mystery person and wouldn't name them - it was an obvious invitation for people to guess who you were talking about. Now you are annoyed at people for guessing.

There is no way for me to know for sure but I have strong feeling that Yuna herself was very much involved in her decision to skip the GP series. I doubt her agents or anyone else would have stood in her way if she really really wanted to do the GP or would have tried to convince her to skip them. I'm sure that decision was her own. Should they have pressured her into doing the GP? I doubt that would have made for a very happy or productive skater? Should they have pointed out to her that what she is doing is risky and very unusual? Well - how do we know they didnt??? And I'm sure Yuna already knew that without anyone having to tell her.

(Arisa - thank you so much for sharing that story about Arirang. I'm going to Youtube it:) )

I agree with you. Yuna didn't sign a contract with big powerful agent like IMG, it's her own agent and she was probably involved in hiring as well so I don't see anyone going against her wishes. They can certainly give her an advice, especially (or only) her mom, but as Yuna said and her mom said in her interview in 2006, Yuna is not a girl you can boss around.

Last edited:

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Well given what happend with takwando rule bending... not just at the Asian games, can you honestly blame the Taiwanese? It happened time and time again. Anyways.. let's not wonder off the thread :p

Yeah let's not wonder off but for the last time, there was nothing wrong with the ruling and koreans were not even involved in any way. That's what makes it kinda funny. They just picked on Koreans lol

wallylutz

Medalist
Seriously, the takwando fiasco and how it may impact Kim's decision to skip 4CC is just silly. Given that Kim lives and trains in the same country as Apolo Ohno, doesn't any of you think she should immediately leave the U.S. for her own safety? :unsure: Nobody can push the Koreans' button the way Apolo Ohno can yet I haven't heard a single soul suggesting Kim's life is in danger if she lives in the U.S. :sheesh:

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Seriously, the takwando fiasco and how it may impact Kim's decision to skip 4CC is just silly. Given that Kim lives and trains in the same country as Apolo Ohno, doesn't any of you think she should immediately leave the U.S. for her own safety? :unsure: Nobody can push the Koreans' button the way Apolo Ohno can yet I haven't heard a single soul suggesting Kim's life is in danger if she lives in the U.S. :sheesh:

??? Those are two completely different situations. I didn't see American politicians burning Korean flags on national TV and American people smashing Korean products onto the floor and trying to break samsung monitors with hammers.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We have a politics forum, where this discussion probably belongs. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

cooper

Medalist
We should stay on topic..

Regarding Giselle..it will be interesting to see what David Wilson's choreography and the vision behind it. This is a complete departure from Yuna's short programs from the past.

prettykeys

Medalist
Johnnn, I'm uncomfortable with your broad generalizations about nationalities in your posts. Specifically, I remember reading about the Taiwanese taekwondo athlete and to be honest, I truly wish she had been given at least a re-match. I felt terrible for her and her coach--her socks had been inspected and passed by an official. It seemed like a misunderstanding or mistake of some sort, she really was heartbroken.

I realize I'm veering off-topic again, but I wanted to say this in the context...that while sports may always have some kind of political component, the best to me is when it transcends all that. Understanding, fairness, sportsmanship, and respect for all sorts of athletes and fans.

Regarding Giselle..it will be interesting to see what David Wilson's choreography and the vision behind it. This is a complete departure from Yuna's short programs from the past.

I greatly look forward to it.

As previous posters have mentioned, Yu-na has never cultivated a "ballet" style to her skating. She, David, and coach Peter O. are pushing the boat out. :rock:

herios

Medalist
We should stay on topic..

I am even more excited about her LP, that could be an inspirational program, could bring a whole nation in her palm, listen to these beautiful harmonies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-OUt3IFlzk

Last edited: