Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rochette to skip figure skating nationals

Custom Title

Rochette to skip figure skating nationals

not surprising, didn't she announce this earlier this year?

Down With It
    So IOW, she's out for the season. But didn't we know that already?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    So IOW, she's out for the season. But didn't we know that already?
    No, she did exactly what Lysacek did, Joannie said she will not enter GP events, leaving all the other options on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    No, she did exactly what Lysacek did, Joannie said she will not enter GP events, leaving all the other options on the table.
    ah, we all just assumed this would be the outcome. I don't expect Evan to be at Nationals either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ah, we all just assumed this would be the outcome. I don't expect Evan to be at Nationals either.
    Of course not, they all do the same thing. At least Weir said he takes of the whole season off at once, not mailing them in in bits and pieces.

Custom Title
    Though this may not be a surprising announcement, but I'm still sorry to hear that it is official. I will miss her skating, but I'm happy that she's doing what makes her happy. She deserves it after her dedication to the sport and the success she's earned, not to mention how she has handled herself off the ice. I wish her well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Of course not, they all do the same thing. At least Weir said he takes of the whole season off at once, not mailing them in in bits and pieces.
    Well, I can understand why many skaters don't commit themselves either way so early. Who'd want to close the door on a skating season when skating represents so much of one's time and energy? I imagine that it must be hard to imagine one's life without the framework of the competitive season, especially if one's last competition was so wildly successful as Joannie's and Evan's were. Heck, Elaine Zayak came back when she was 28 to give it another try. And she came in fourth in Nationals, didn't she? I guess it becomes part of one's brain chemistry.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Well I expected such since she committed to the SOI tours, but too bad. From what we've seen in JO, she could be sweeping everyone off their feet at the moment.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Well, I can understand why many skaters don't commit themselves either way so early. Who'd want to close the door on a skating season when skating represents so much of one's time and energy? I imagine that it must be hard to imagine one's life without the framework of the competitive season, especially if one's last competition was so wildly successful as Joannie's and Evan's were. Heck, Elaine Zayak came back when she was 28 to give it another try. And she came in fourth in Nationals, didn't she? I guess it becomes part of one's brain chemistry.

Thanks, Olympia. I find it puzzling that fans get so upset when a skater says "I'm still deciding, all of my options are still open." It shouldn't be a big deal if they want to take their time to see if they still have it in them to deal with so much pressure. Maybe Joannie was leaning all along toward skipping nationals but she has every right to keep in open in case she changes her mind. Sorry, I like Johnny just fine, but I don't think he is a big hero for making his mind up earlier. And don't be shocked if he announces he might try for a comeback next year or later but is still deciding... and like I said, it's his right.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Sorry, I like Johnny just fine, but I don't think he is a big hero for making his mind up earlier. And don't be shocked if he announces he might try for a comeback next year or later but is still deciding... and like I said, it's his right.
    He's already said that very thing. He's only taking this year off, but that he misses competing. It's in the latest, already outdated, IFS magazine.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    ^Ah. Well, let the speculation begin.

Custom Title
    Pity, was to be expected from Joannie, but she seems in good shape and with Mao out of sorts and who knows with Yu Na at worlds PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN HER BEST SHOT OF BECOMING WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    Pity, was to be expected from Joannie, but she seems in good shape and with Mao out of sorts and who knows with Yu Na at worlds PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN HER BEST SHOT OF BECOMING WORLD CHAMPION!!!
    It crossed my mind too. An extra push and she would be there.

Down With It
    ^ Perhaps, but...easier said than done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast